• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I recently shot my Ruger American Predator, 6.5 Grendel, 22" barrel, and my Ruger American Ranch, 16" barrel, in 7.62X39. The Predator uses AR style mags and the Ranch mini-30 mags.

I shot steel case ammo with both rifles. Both bolts were stiff at first, but after 20 rounds (and my muscle memory improving), they now cycle well. I will have to say, even though the thought of having AR and Mini 30 mags sounds good, I am thinking that the flush fitting rotary mags may be more practical. Esp. the AR mag, I don't think these are optimal for a bolt rifle. YMMV. I do like the last round hold open feature though.

Both rifles are at least MOA-ish. The Grendel was more like 1.5 MOA but I was using the cheapest Wolf steel ammo available. I believe with decent ammo and some break in, these will be reliable MOA shooters.

The trigger is awesome! They both are breaking at under 4.5 pounds out of the box. They can be set to 3 pounds but I just left it as is.

I love the shape and texture of the stock. A very functional and practical rifle, if not very attractive. The 18" Ranch is really, really handy. I went with a 2-7X scope on it; the lighter the better. The Grendel has a 3-9X.

The scope rail is now all Picatinny. Ruger did away with the hybrid rail. I used low mount rings since the rail adds some height. Even with a 40mm bell, you can use low mount rings.

The most noticeable "cheap" look was the finish of the bolts. I used criss crossing patterns of sanding down of 200-600 grit and they look a lot better. I also ordered titanium bolt shrouds to replace the plastic. If you want to take the handle out of the bolt for sanding, or to replace with a custom handle, you will need a special tool that can be had for like $14. But all of this is really cosmetic. I like the bolt handle it came with.

So unless you want the bragging rights that come along with a pricey rifle, I think the RAR is an excellent choice. Both the Predator and the Ranch have heavier profile barrels, and I like the handling on the Ranch.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    I have a question about the AR-mag pattern rifle - 6.5mm Ruger.

How does the bolt work with the mag? Is there anything cheesy River had to do with it to deal with the lower positioning of an AR-pattern mag vs what bolts with bottom metal typically use?

Asking 'cause Mossberg did some cheesy stuff to make the MVP work with AR mags and it ended up getting patented. It's pretty terrible though, had multiple issues with it. Curious how others made it work.

Seems that AICS-pattern mags sit higher and bolts work better with them unmodified. If someone has a better explanation of this would love to hear it.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have a question about the AR-mag pattern rifle - 6.5mm Ruger.

How does the bolt work with the mag? Is there anything cheesy River had to do with it to deal with the lower positioning of an AR-pattern mag vs what bolts with bottom metal typically use?

Asking 'cause Mossberg did some cheesy stuff to make the MVP work with AR mags and it ended up getting patented. It's pretty terrible though, had multiple issues with it. Curious how others made it work.

Seems that AICS-pattern mags sit higher and bolts work better with them unmodified. If someone has a better explanation of this would love to hear it.

The AR magazine has a tendency to rock back a bit, but if you steady it with your weak hand as you operate the bolt with your strong hand, it chambers just fine.

The bolt on the Grendel is the same design as the 7.62; does not look like they did anything special for the AR mag variant. The mini 30 mags (5 and 10) fit tight and do seem to work rather well; but are harder to insert than the AR mag. The AR mag on the other hand just slaps right in. Those are the trade-offs.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    If you are ever cleaning it in range of a cell phone, could you plz take a pic of the bolt? Not seeing good stuff online for some reason...

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I recently shot my Ruger American Predator, 6.5 Grendel, 22" barrel, and my Ruger American Ranch, 16" barrel, in 7.62X39. The Predator uses AR style mags and the Ranch mini-30 mags.

I shot steel case ammo with both rifles. Both bolts were stiff at first, but after 20 rounds (and my muscle memory improving), they now cycle well. I will have to say, even though the thought of having AR and Mini 30 mags sounds good, I am thinking that the flush fitting rotary mags may be more practical. Esp. the AR mag, I don't think these are optimal for a bolt rifle. YMMV. I do like the last round hold open feature though.

Both rifles are at least MOA-ish. The Grendel was more like 1.5 MOA but I was using the cheapest Wolf steel ammo available. I believe with decent ammo and some break in, these will be reliable MOA shooters.

The trigger is awesome! They both are breaking at under 4.5 pounds out of the box. They can be set to 3 pounds but I just left it as is.

I love the shape and texture of the stock. A very functional and practical rifle, if not very attractive. The 18" Ranch is really, really handy. I went with a 2-7X scope on it; the lighter the better. The Grendel has a 3-9X.

The scope rail is now all Picatinny. Ruger did away with the hybrid rail. I used low mount rings since the rail adds some height. Even with a 40mm bell, you can use low mount rings.

The most noticeable "cheap" look was the finish of the bolts. I used criss crossing patterns of sanding down of 200-600 grit and they look a lot better. I also ordered titanium bolt shrouds to replace the plastic. If you want to take the handle out of the bolt for sanding, or to replace with a custom handle, you will need a special tool that can be had for like $14. But all of this is really cosmetic. I like the bolt handle it came with.

So unless you want the bragging rights that come along with a pricey rifle, I think the RAR is an excellent choice. Both the Predator and the Ranch have heavier profile barrels, and I like the handling on the Ranch.
    That’s good to hear. I just finished setting up my RA Predator in 6mm Creedmore. Haven’t got it to the range yet though but I’m looking forward to it. One issue of note though is the awful fit of the forend. It is supposed to be free-floated but it is doggone awfully stuck on the left side. Saw YouTube videos about this being an issue, and it messing with accuracy. They all suggested to Dremel it away to free it up. Trying to work up the nerve to start cutting on a brand new rifle, but it looks like it’s a must do.

I like the placement of the textured “grip zones” they have too, but wish they were a little tackier. Even though it has a pebble grain texture, it’s still a little slippery. Pondering Talon tape on the panels, or spray-on rubber of some kind. But this is nit-picking I suppose. Can’t wait to dial her in.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks for the review as I’ve been really thinking of getting one in 5.56 and one in 6.5G

Try some real grendel ammo next time though :-)

My 18” AR I can sometimes shoot 2MoA 3 shot groups with wolf steel, but my 10 shot groups are about 6MOA as I get a minimum of 1 flier in 4 that is several inches away from the main group. It’s usually around 1 in 3. That could maybe be a bad batch issue. I’ll get a few more boxes soon now that it is available again, just to test that theory. I’ve seen a lot of people test it and see around 2.5MOA, but I don’t know what their test methodology is (5 shot groups throwing out the worst round would get me around 2.5 MOA also, but that is disengenuous, especially as often as it produces fliers for me).

Hornaday American Gunner 123gr MHPBT produces just over 1 MOA 10 shot groups as does ELD-M. Federal Fusion produces just under 1MOA 10 shot groups. All can sometimes squeeze 3/4 MOA 3-shot groups out of it/them more often than not.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If you are ever cleaning it in range of a cell phone, could you plz take a pic of the bolt? Not seeing good stuff online for some reason...

Ok ... l don't see anything special about this bolt.

Attachments

• 20180531_221342.jpg
      20180531_221342.jpg
      41.5 KB · Views: 488
    • 20180531_221350.jpg
      20180531_221350.jpg
      54.2 KB · Views: 685
    • 20180531_221358.jpg
      20180531_221358.jpg
      48.2 KB · Views: 664
    • 20180531_221407.jpg
      20180531_221407.jpg
      40.7 KB · Views: 492
    • 20180531_221419.jpg
      20180531_221419.jpg
      39 KB · Views: 516

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    Nice, thank you for doing that! Looks pretty ordinary, 3 lug bolt.

Wondering why Mossberg had to go through all that trouble of designing that POS spring loaded flappy thing on theirs, like in this patent - https://patents.justia.com/patent/8763293 - if Ruger was able to make it work with STANAG mags...

The other question, specific to this rifle: is there a way to purchase a spare bolt assembly for it if I wanted one? Is that even a thing for bolt action rifles at all, or am I spoiled by ARs whose TDP is so well known things generally work together? I have go/no go gages for 223 and would expect to test the new bolt if I got one, but the only ones I ever see for sale are for Rem 700s. Do other manufacturers simply make spare assemblies unavailable?

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Great long range rifle

Had to saw off a decent amount of the interior side of my stock to get it actually free floated...but it's great

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom