• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clump

Sep 19, 2008
    Felton, DE
    I've been stalking Mini 14s for quite a few years and decided to finally get 1. It's a stainless/synthetic Ranch rifle in 5.56. I added a Leupold VX-1 2-7 and a Choate hand-guard.

First trip to the range yesterday and had a helluva time. Apparently, I did a horrible bore sighting job and had a hard time even getting on paper. Got that sorted, finally.

I'm using the factory 5 round mags and PMC brass cased 55 gr ball. My AR eats this ammo without problems.

I cleaned the rifle and lubed it with 1 shot, which I've been using for most everything for quite a while. Had a number of instances where the bolt didn't fully close and needed a nudge. Also had a few FTEs. 120 rounds through it all together and it seemed to get worse as the round count increased.

Before next Sunday I'll clean it and lube per the Army M14 manual. Ruger's manual doesn't mention lubrication, except for a warning about obstructing the bore.

It's definitely a fun rifle to shoot, even with a few glitches. Looking forward to the next try, with everything properly lubed.

There are a lot of AR Vs. Mini 14 comparisons around. If I could only have 1 it would probably be an AR. I like having both.

Here she is

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Neat, maybe will be on my list.

If possible please post picture of the handguard you removed and keep us posted on your next range visit. Interested in the bolt not going into battery.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Clump, congrats on a very fun rifle! :) It is definitely one of my most favorite guns.

Did you clean it before you took it out? My Mini 14 was quite dirty from the factory. Once I cleaned it and lubed it, it functioned perfectly.

Use grease as directed in the video below. I just use plain hi temp SuperTech bearing grease from WallyWorld:

Check out this thread for more info on the Mini 14. Quite long but you will find interesting advice within it

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=218639&highlight=mini

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Reliability issues like that are definitely not characteristic of the Mini. I'd disassemble it and check for any kind of debris in it.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Clump, congrats on a very fun rifle! :) It is definitely one of my most favorite guns.

Did you clean it before you took it out? My Mini 14 was quite dirty from the factory. Once I cleaned it and lubed it, it functioned perfectly.

Use grease as directed in the video below. I just use plain hi temp SuperTech bearing grease from WallyWorld:

Check out this thread for more info on the Mini 14. Quite long but you will find interesting advice within it

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=218639&highlight=mini

Dang, that is mucho grease! ??

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Very nice!

Mini-14s are finicky about magazines and ammo. So, it may not be the lube, it could be the mags. 10 round mags are highly unreliable (mine make the rifle a jam-o-matic), and I have heard the 5 rounders are also unreliable. Pay a visit to Leesburg or PA and get the 20 rounders or 30 rounders. For whatever reason (manufacturing tolerances or whatever), the "compliance" mags can cause FTEs and so forth. dont buy off-brand mags. Also makes it a jam-o-matic. Loudon Guns in Leesburg will have a bunch of real Ruger mags right there for the harvesting when you walk in.

also, pay a visit to accuracy international.com. They make some good mods for it - trigger, strut, etc.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Dang, that is mucho grease! ??

brzuULf.jpg

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    They are fun rifles. Leupold makes removable scope rings that holds zero. Replace the Ruger rear sight with a TechSight and you can have the best of both worlds. Accuracy-wise, I can consistently hit a 12" target offhand at 100 yrds with irons. Most of the hits fall within an 8" circle.

Clump

Sep 19, 2008
    Felton, DE
    I did clean and lube it. I've read accounts of them being caked with grease from the factory. Mine was very clean. I'm thinking the 1 shot was not enough for it. I'll find out next weekend!

Going through the Mini Vs AR thread now. Personally, glad to have both.

This looks like the info - http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-grease

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I did clean and lube it. I've read accounts of them being caked with grease from the factory. Mine was very clean. I'm thinking the 1 shot was not enough for it. I'll find out next weekend!

Going through the Mini Vs AR thread now. Personally, glad to have both.

This looks like the info - http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-grease

Good link. Your Mini will operate smooth as buddah next weekend! :thumbsup:

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I'll usually hand cycle a new firearm for an evening or two while watching TV with the wife. Drives her nuts but loosens up the action.

As an aside and regarding that; it took me almost 400 rounds of ball ammo to get my G.I Spec RIA M1911A1 to start feeding hollow points reliably.

I was so happy when it decided to eat them without protest. :)

Clump

Sep 19, 2008
    Felton, DE
    Cleaned and lubed as suggested. For grease I used https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M4FDQ41/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

Happened to be in a free state Friday and picked up 2 expensive Ruger 20 round mags. So much easier to load than the 5 rounders it came with! I really wish Magpul would start making Mini 14 mags.

Back to the range this morning. I fired 4 5 round groups to get zeroed, followed by 4 fully loaded 20 round mags. Had 1 FTE in each of the first 2 full mags. Last 2 were flawless.

Seems like she's breaking in. I'll clean and lube again before the next range session.

Here's 40 rounds @ 50 yards

40 rounds @100 using the 50 yard zero

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    :party29::party29: nice!

IIRC Magul or ProMag used to make them. Can't recall which, but I know I bought them in 2013. I ended up tossing them because they turned it into a jam-o-matic. Something about the feed lips were off-spec I think. If they stopped making them, its probably because they could not get the secret recipe right.

Clump

Sep 19, 2008
    Felton, DE
    :party29::party29: nice!

IIRC Magul or ProMag used to make them. Can't recall which, but I know I bought them in 2013. I ended up tossing them because they turned it into a jam-o-matic. Something about the feed lips were off-spec I think. If they stopped making them, its probably because they could not get the secret recipe right.
    Thanks!

ProMag still makes them, but reputation is pretty poor. Tapco are supposed to be good. I have a couple of their 30s waiting for me in Northeast PA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom