• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WHODASHIZIT

Feb 27, 2012
    Montgomery County
    Not sure if this should be posted in pistols or rifles. I purchased a complete lower receiver for which required a sr77. My question is am I able to configure it as a pistol or does it need to be a rifle? Your knowledge will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Matt

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    My understanding...

Pistol to 16" HBAR rifle (if you reside in MD) = Go
    Rifle to Pistol = No Go

But I am as curious as you.

WHODASHIZIT

Feb 27, 2012
    Montgomery County
    It’s only a regulated lower receiver at this point. I’ve read that when you purchase a lower receiver in Maryland it is regulated because you can configure it either way. I figured here would be the best place to ask because of all the wisdom and knowledge available on this forum

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    If it's just a recceiver now, it can become either a rifle or a pistol.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    ok, for clarity: when you say a "complete" lower, what do you mean? complete how? with or without buffer tube, stock, brace???

When you say process through 77r, was it processed as a stripped lower? Or did you need HQL.

WHODASHIZIT

Feb 27, 2012
    Montgomery County
    ok, for clarity: when you say a "complete" lower, what do you mean? complete how? with or without buffer tube, stock, brace???

When you say process through 77r, was it processed as a stripped lower? Or did you need HQL.

It was a complete lower with buffer tube and stock. HQL was not required

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012

Until an upper is attached, it is still just a lower.

A lower has an HQL exemption. You still have to do a 77R though.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    It was a complete lower with buffer tube and stock. HQL was not required

If you remove the stock it can be built as a pistol. A rifle per Federal regulations requires a shoulder stock and a barrel with an OAL of greater than 16". Since your lower has (with info you have provided) never been assembled with a barrel it can be assembled into a pistol provided you remove the stock.

Some will say to swap the buffer tube also and that is good advice but not legally necessary.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    That subforum is moderated by a guy named Chad who has been messing around with guns for a while, and has figured a few things out. He posts under the user name Clandestine.

WHODASHIZIT

Feb 27, 2012
    Montgomery County
    If you remove the stock it can be built as a pistol. A rifle per Federal regulations requires a shoulder stock and a barrel with an OAL of greater than 16". Since your lower has (with info you have provided) never been assembled with a barrel it can be assembled into a pistol provided you remove the stock.

Some will say to swap the buffer tube also and that is good advice but not legally necessary.

I plan to swap to a pistol buffer tube and brace. I know that with the stock it would be considered a short barrel rifle

I plan to swap to a pistol buffer tube and brace. I know that with the stock it would be considered a short barrel rifle

You seem to have your ducks in a row.
    Just understand (I don't get why this is federal law) that you cannot convert a pistol into a rifle, but you CAN convert a pistol into a rifle. The point is- make the lower a pistol first, then you can go back and forth with the same receiver.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    You seem to have your ducks in a row.
    Just understand (I don't get why this is federal law) that you cannot convert a pistol into a rifle, but you CAN convert a pistol into a rifle. The point is- make the lower a pistol first, then you can go back and forth with the same receiver.

????

Sounds more like some crazy circular MD law???

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom