• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tbmcdermott1

Mar 26, 2018
    Baltimore
    What is most preposterous about the lawsuit is the rifle wasn't sold to Adam Lanza, it was his mother's. She owned the rifle he murders her then takes her rifle, so how will they explain that the rifle was purchased by a middle-aged woman? She doesn't quite fit the description of a young male.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    This entire suit is an end around deception play, right down to the purposeful "military" play of words. A suit that should have been thrown out from the get go. There was and is no advertising content past, present or future on Remington's part that made or would make a Lanza or some similar puke kill his mother, steal her rifle, load the rifle, and unload rounds on innocent school kids and staff. Lanza was a sick, demented and twisted puke of an individual, not a pawn in an advertising scheme. What is similarly twisted is that this circus act of an undoubtedly expensive lawsuit wasn't immediately slapped down, and has yet to be slapped down, as the frivilous farce and travesty that it is.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    If Remington lets it run its course I think they would have grounds. Marketing is one thing but marketing goes by the wayside when the shooter did not buy the gun. I wonder what happens when some snowflake slits his/her wrist with a razor advertised to cut through things clean and in one pass.

SigZag

Aug 4, 2019
    Rockville
    This entire suit is an end around deception play, right down to the purposeful "military" play of words. A suit that should have been thrown out from the get go. There was and is no advertising content past, present or future on Remington's part that made or would make a Lanza or some similar puke kill his mother, steal her rifle, load the rifle, and unload rounds on innocent school kids and staff. Lanza was a sick, demented and twisted puke of an individual, not a pawn in an advertising scheme. What is similarly twisted is that this circus act of an undoubtedly expensive lawsuit wasn't immediately slapped down, and has yet to be slapped down, as the frivilous farce and travesty that it is.

THIS! :mad54:

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    How can this fly, when the Brady Center dragged grieving families into the law suit with Lucky Gunner for selling ammo to a murderer...AND LOST...leaving the grieving families to pay all Lucky Gunner's legal fees.

This new case is a waste of time!

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    How can this fly, when the Brady Center dragged grieving families into the law suit with Lucky Gunner for selling ammo to a murderer...AND LOST...leaving the grieving families to pay all Lucky Gunner's legal fees.

This new case is a waste of time!

Which will have to be established in court as it goes forward (or as it's appealed after the fact if it goes badly). I agree that it should have been chucked already, but that's not really where (and when) the SCOTUS would normally get involved. So it's a "not yet" situation. Alas for Remington, as they've gotta keep paying lawyers for a while on this.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    For those that have not read the lawsuit, or the CT state opinion, this is an important note:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/suprem...-hook-families-11573569589?mod=article_inline

The Protection of Lawful Commerce Act does not pre-empt "deceptive" advertising. For example, if they promise you rifle X for price $, and it turns out to be only the lower (bait and switch). Or it turns out "firing pin is extra" or some baloney.

Besides the fact that there is no split among the circuits, the trial is at an early stage and no jury has in fact found that any advertising is "deceptive." That is what the trial is for - to see if any advertising is deceptive. After that, Remington can still appeal on multiple grounds.

Sorry but even if I were on SCOTUS, I would have rejected this petition as being too early in the process. It does not mean anything at this point - clickbait headlines notwithstanding.

I am not sure how you can say that there was no split. The petitioners (Remington) claim that other circuits have interpreted the inclusiveness of which statues apply differently compared to the CT courts. Depending on which statues apply determines whether there is a valid case.

I am not sure what you mean by too early in the case. One of the main issues raised by the respondents (Victim Families) is that SCOTUS only hears cases that have a final decision. While there are exceptions, the respondents claim these exceptions don't apply here.

Unfortunately SCOTUS does not provide any reasoning.

I understand that the PLCAA does not shield all lawsuits and that certain "deceptive advertising" claims are allowed.

What I fail to understand is how you plausibly get from a military focused advertising to mass murder. The last time I checked even militaries are not allowed to commit mass murder. Remington does not really address this issue in their briefs. I wonder if this is yet another example of lawyers making bad arguments that lead to bad legal decisions.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Which will have to be established in court as it goes forward (or as it's appealed after the fact if it goes badly). I agree that it should have been chucked already, but that's not really where (and when) the SCOTUS would normally get involved. So it's a "not yet" situation. Alas for Remington, as they've gotta keep paying lawyers for a while on this.

I agree, it will go back to SCOTUS with much higher legal bills in a few years, which the loser pays, with hopefully a different resolution.

Sting

Member, League the Armed
    Apr 28, 2013
    Rockville
    The law suit in itself is a tool to make gun manufacture less profitable. They don’t have to win a suit. It’s death by a thousand cuts and the left is well versed in doing just that to one industry after another. You can sue for a defective product normally but not how it is used. If someone intentionally uses an auto to run over people in a terrorist attack can the manufacture of the auto be sued? While the fine points of the law are being debated the Left advances their agenda again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    The law suit in itself is a tool to make gun manufacture less profitable. They don’t have to win a suit. It’s death by a thousand cuts and the left is well versed in doing just that to one industry after another.

True.

If someone intentionally uses an auto to run over people in a terrorist attack can the manufacture of the auto be sued?

It's worth noting that the premise of the suit is the claim that Remington's marketing was communicating the suitability of their products for hunting down and killing people. Which is silly, of course, on the face of it - never mind the fact that the person who committed the crime STARTED with the separate crime of actually killing the guns's owner and stealing it. I don't think the suit will eventually prevail, but it's going to cost Remington money it should never have to spend along the way.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I am not sure how you can say that there was no split. The petitioners (Remington) claim that other circuits have interpreted the inclusiveness of which statues apply differently compared to the CT courts. Depending on which statues apply determines whether there is a valid case.

I am not sure what you mean by too early in the case. One of the main issues raised by the respondents (Victim Families) is that SCOTUS only hears cases that have a final decision. While there are exceptions, the respondents claim these exceptions don't apply here.

Unfortunately SCOTUS does not provide any reasoning.

I understand that the PLCAA does not shield all lawsuits and that certain "deceptive advertising" claims are allowed.

What I fail to understand is how you plausibly get from a military focused advertising to mass murder. The last time I checked even militaries are not allowed to commit mass murder. Remington does not really address this issue in their briefs. I wonder if this is yet another example of lawyers making bad arguments that lead to bad legal decisions.

I agree, it will go back to SCOTUS with much higher legal bills in a few years, which the loser pays, with hopefully a different resolution.

I am not even sure that this will make it back to the high court because even the CT Supreme Court called the task of proving causation "herculean."

Plaintiffs have to prove that the unethical marketing causes Lanza to steal that rifle.

Plaintiffs should be careful what they wish for. All the CT court said is that this could go forward for deceptive or unethical marketing. Proving the claims is another thing, and as in the Luckygunner case, plaintiffs will have massive legal bills that gun control groups did not cover.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I am not even sure that this will make it back to the high court because even the CT Supreme Court called the task of proving causation "herculean."

Plaintiffs have to prove that the unethical marketing causes Lanza to steal that rifle.

Plaintiffs should be careful what they wish for. All the CT court said is that this could go forward for deceptive or unethical marketing. Proving the claims is another thing, and as in the Luckygunner case, plaintiffs will have massive legal bills that gun control groups did not cover.

This.

As much as I want the case thrown out on its ear, I can see the point on the marketing piece. I disagree that it rises to the level of actually being tortious.

But PLCAA doesn’t protect against marketing. If Remington can be shown to be trying to target mass shooters or those prone to violence specifically and especially if they knew about it, they should be held liable.

But I doubt that’s the case. Really, really doubt it. Especially as in this case the firearm was stolen from the owner after the owner was murdered. This case probably has no chance in the end.

This isn’t tobacco companies where they were shown to be intentionally targeting kids with their marketing and sales practices. I don’t see gun companies targeting mass shooters or those prone to violence specifically or intentionally.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    For those that have not read the lawsuit, or the CT state opinion, this is an important note:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/suprem...-hook-families-11573569589?mod=article_inline

The Protection of Lawful Commerce Act does not pre-empt "deceptive" advertising. For example, if they promise you rifle X for price $, and it turns out to be only the lower (bait and switch). Or it turns out "firing pin is extra" or some baloney.

Besides the fact that there is no split among the circuits, the trial is at an early stage and no jury has in fact found that any advertising is "deceptive." That is what the trial is for - to see if any advertising is deceptive. After that, Remington can still appeal on multiple grounds.

Sorry but even if I were on SCOTUS, I would have rejected this petition as being too early in the process. It does not mean anything at this point - clickbait headlines notwithstanding.

Did the psycho that murdered all of those children actually purchase the rifle? I believe his mother, whom he also murdered, purchased the rifle. Then who knows what persuaded her to buy that maker and model?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom