• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    If the judge is treating MSP and the applicant on a fair and even footing, applying the law to the situation at hand.

That’s funny. You know they will be another bitch boy of the Froshole. However I like your thinking of a SCOTUS case when they do that crap.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I would be interested in hearing first hand accounts from any individuals that have completed the new MSP appeals. If the judge is treating MSP and the applicant on a fair and even footing, applying the law to the situation at hand, I have less concerns. Also, are these proceedings open to the public like other trials? Might be fodder for an eventual COTUS case if decisions can be shown as arbitrary and capricious. Particularly if the judge is shown to apply MSP "standard procedures" as if they are laws.

If an applicant is denied a permit by the board, can they also appeal to the admin judge?

Absolutely.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    Yeah, take a look at these bios. http://www.oah.state.md.us/Aljbios.aspx No real surprise there, I'm pretty sure the HMFIC hires all of the "office-level" judges so it stands to reason they are all antis.

To answer another question, yes, either losing party can appeal the HPRB to the OAH. And whoever loses at the OAH has the right to appeal to the state court of appeals.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Haven't been following closely, but does the OMA apply to the ALJ? Secondly, if the appeal is done for restrictions, how is the ALJ keeping up with the law that prevents the permit holder from being identified?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

EdHershon

Oct 2, 2018
    Annapolis
    Supposedly one must file within 30 days of receipt of HPRB order. I think OAH will let that slide. An order can be 12/02/18 , but if it's not in the mail until later, and then of course allowances for receipt after post marks, 30 days becomes really hard to pin down. Heck, the law states HPRB shall have a hearing within 90 days after they receive your request. So much for time limits, they are typically suggestions. Probably the only time they really stick is when the court really doesn't want to bother, then they'll use it as an excuse.

When this new scheme was passed I always pondered why many people assumed MSP wouldn't take advantage of it. It may also be a reason MOM's still attend HPRB, as to make sure their new rule is being utilized. Everyone lawyering up for these OAH hearing are astute. I doubt an ALJ is going to buy any COTUS argument by Johnny Sweatpants.

The time rules at OAH are hard dates and if the MSP files late, that’s their tough luck. So far, they have been imwitjin the 30 day window.

The hearings must take place within 60 days of the appeal from the MSP.

If anyone has questions, PM me.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited:

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    Contrary to this article, a bill *has* been introduced to abolish the HPRB by Rosenberg and one of his other hacks.

Yeah, I was a little confused by that in the article, but I was busy doing other things at the time.

Interesting they did not bother to interview anyone on the opposing side, I mean truly opposing and not just a token "representative."

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I want to point out one important fact that worries me with the OAH , the law judge said the permit holder (US) going before the court is we have to prove we are worthy to have the restrictions removed . The state has to prove nothing , it is our responsibility . The MSP carries no burden .

It is not a direct quote but is factual and in transcript somewhere or about to be .

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I want to point out one important fact that worries me with the OAH , the law judge said the permit holder (US) going before the court is we have to prove we are worthy to have the restrictions removed . The state has to prove nothing , it is our responsibility . The MSP carries no burden .

It is not a direct quote but is factual and in transcript somewhere or about to be .

This AAG disagrees with here. And so does one of the attorneys in this video who is now a Judge. A real judge.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    How can the burden shift? If that's true the MSP may as well just come up with a boiler plate testimony for use a the HPRB. No sense in wasting time there if they'll succeed at the next level with a new set of rules.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD

As I, and others, have stated before - nothing is beyond the realm of possibility until the bell rings at midnight on Sine Die (April 8, 2019). While this bill is too late to be "guaranteed" a public hearing, it will receive a hearing in the House Rules Committee, where it will be "rereferred" to its proper committee and shoved into the schedule, as it has become a legislative priority for the Mike & Mike Coalition.

This is why we say that politics in Maryland is a contact sport that cannot be ignored for even one day when the legislature is in session.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    How can the burden shift? If that's true the MSP may as well just come up with a boiler plate testimony for use a the HPRB. No sense in wasting time there if they'll succeed at the next level with a new set of rules.

The way the statutes are written it is the applicant's burden to prove G&S. Upon appeal the burden shifts to the agency to justify their actions.

A not quite perfect analogy would be a contractor applies for a permit to build a covered deck and the local agency approves the deck but not the covered portion. Upon appeal it is the agency's burden to show why the covered portion is not approved. Does that make sense?

It is my understanding that during some of the OAH hearings that one ALJ made an opening statement that it was the applicant's burden to prove why their restrictions should be lifted which is incorrect as we heard the esteemed AAG JV Lawyer state in the video above.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    This AAG disagrees with here. And so does one of the attorneys in this video who is now a Judge. A real judge.

I realize you and others may be right in the application of the law and i would even concede you and others to be correct .

But the rub comes in that a Law Judge that is suppose to know does not know and that worries me a great deal .
    If the people that are to rule for you or against you have the facts wrong how can anyone get a fair hearing ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom