• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    knovotny, that is very unique. I really like the hand guard and muzzle device. Let us know how it shoots. The accents are effective; you even did the mag floor plate! Nice touch.

Thanks! It's a Diamondhead handguard, a lot of Stags seem to come with them. It's super comfortable. It's a linear compensator that hubby had hanging around. Big Iron Cerakoting did the cerakoting work for me. I told him to be creative and he did a nice job. I hadn't expected him to do the floorplate and the bottom of the pistol grip differently. I was really pleased with that too.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Colt LE6520. This was a PD trade-in that I picked up.

Attachments

• DSC_0030.jpg
      DSC_0030.jpg
      50.8 KB · Views: 765

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I finally assembled my Snowflake build. Nothing fancy, parts wise. The Spikes Snowflake lower, a Stag carbine upper, and a run of the mill parts kit. Magpul pistol grip and buttstock. The fun part is the color. I got it cerakoted with Gun Candy. The white parts are Pegasus, and it's actually a pearl, that was hard to get to show up in pictures. Barrel and accents are in Ingot, a nice metallic gold. I haven't decided what optic I want to put on it yet.

Forend looks like a V-RS T? If so it's my favorite

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I finally assembled my Snowflake build. Nothing fancy, parts wise. The Spikes Snowflake lower, a Stag carbine upper, and a run of the mill parts kit. Magpul pistol grip and buttstock. The fun part is the color. I got it cerakoted with Gun Candy. The white parts are Pegasus, and it's actually a pearl, that was hard to get to show up in pictures. Barrel and accents are in Ingot, a nice metallic gold. I haven't decided what optic I want to put on it yet.

Something different, that’s cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg

Snow cammo! I like it, just don't put it down when there is snow on the ground!:lol2:

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    The tale of an outcast AR... Reborn!!!!

This is my Stag 8L piston carbine that was my first ever AR. Everyone told me I didn't need a piston and I didn't need a left handed AR, as long as I had the shell deflector. Any everyone was right. The rest of my ARs are DI and standard right handed models.

I came to realize that the piston driven system was kind of harsh, even with a heavy buffer. I also found the maintenance of the piston system a bit more involved than a DI setup. I just really didn't enjoy shooting it as much the DI guns. It was however exceptionally accurate, with the Diamondhead sights.

At some point, I decided that the lower was worth more than the upper, as it was a pre 2013 that I could use for non HBAR uppers. So the Stag piston upper went in box, and honestly I thought I was going to sell it.

This year I was cleaning out the basement and found my poor upper. I looked at it, and it looked at me. It spoke to me.... "I deserve a second chance". OK I said, one more chance. It was really the recoil and harshness of the piston I didn't like... So I got my 20" A2 AR out of the safe, and put the Stag upper on a lower with a rifle length buffer and stock, and took it to the range.

It ran... quite well. The 5 oz rifle buffer ate up the harshness, and actually increased the accuracy even more, as it was a lot smoother to shoot. OK great now what to do, what to do..... I already had a classic A2 AR in black so I didn't want to set it up the same way. The Stag had OD green Magpul handguard, and I like OD green so that was settled. So went with the MOE rifle stock, appropriate buffer, spring, and tube, and a K2 grip. I have a post 2013 lower (legal because not a "copycat") that I was going to mate it to, so bought a lower parts kit. Ordered it all from Primary Arms.

So my package arrives late, guess there was weather that delayed Fedex. My box is on the porch, so I grab it. The next day, I open up the box and look at my toys. Can't wait. Take the post 2013 lower out and do a takedown pin test fit. Hmmm.... gap between the lower and upper is allowing a fair bit of play. Crap. I was disappointed until I remembered I had another pre 2013 lower I had been saving for a future "normal" AR. Put the upper on it, and walla! Tight fit. That lower also had Noveske pins and an ambi safety, which was a bonus!

Swap out the carbine components for the rifle components and swap the grip. So this is where I ended up... I love the way it looks, and providing it does everything the other upper does, should be great. Glad to have my "outcast" back in the safe and shooting rotation. Here are the pics.

Attachments

• 100_3595 (2).jpg
      100_3595 (2).jpg
      106.6 KB · Views: 746
    • 100_3596 (2).jpg
      100_3596 (2).jpg
      79.5 KB · Views: 769
    • 100_3597 (2).jpg
      100_3597 (2).jpg
      98.7 KB · Views: 763
    • 100_3598 (2).jpg
      100_3598 (2).jpg
      90.2 KB · Views: 767
    • 100_3600 (2).jpg
      100_3600 (2).jpg
      81.4 KB · Views: 762
    • 100_3601 (2).jpg
      100_3601 (2).jpg
      54.8 KB · Views: 763

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Niiiice

This is my Stag 8L piston carbine that was my first ever AR. Everyone told me I didn't need a piston and I didn't need a left handed AR, as long as I had the shell deflector. Any everyone was right. The rest of my ARs are DI and standard right handed models.

I came to realize that the piston driven system was kind of harsh, even with a heavy buffer. I also found the maintenance of the piston system a bit more involved than a DI setup. I just really didn't enjoy shooting it as much the DI guns. It was however exceptionally accurate, with the Diamondhead sights.

At some point, I decided that the lower was worth more than the upper, as it was a pre 2013 that I could use for non HBAR uppers. So the Stag piston upper went in box, and honestly I thought I was going to sell it.

This year I was cleaning out the basement and found my poor upper. I looked at it, and it looked at me. It spoke to me.... "I deserve a second chance". OK I said, one more chance. It was really the recoil and harshness of the piston I didn't like... So I got my 20" A2 AR out of the safe, and put the Stag upper on a lower with a rifle length buffer and stock, and took it to the range.

It ran... quite well. The 5 oz rifle buffer ate up the harshness, and actually increased the accuracy even more, as it was a lot smoother to shoot. OK great now what to do, what to do..... I already had a classic A2 AR in black so I didn't want to set it up the same way. The Stag had OD green Magpul handguard, and I like OD green so that was settled. So went with the MOE rifle stock, appropriate buffer, spring, and tube, and a K2 grip. I have a post 2013 lower (legal because not a "copycat") that I was going to mate it to, so bought a lower parts kit. Ordered it all from Primary Arms.

So my package arrives late, guess there was weather that delayed Fedex. My box is on the porch, so I grab it. The next day, I open up the box and look at my toys. Can't wait. Take the post 2013 lower out and do a takedown pin test fit. Hmmm.... gap between the lower and upper is allowing a fair bit of play. Crap. I was disappointed until I remembered I had another pre 2013 lower I had been saving for a future "normal" AR. Put the upper on it, and walla! Tight fit. That lower also had Noveske pins and an ambi safety, which was a bonus!

Swap out the carbine components for the rifle components and swap the grip. So this is where I ended up... I love the way it looks, and providing it does everything the other upper does, should be great. Glad to have my "outcast" back in the safe and shooting rotation. Here are the pics.

Nice. Like fixer upper. Giving new life to a discarded thing or island of lost toys. :). Looks cool. Glad it shoots better

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Very nice! I am a fan of fixed stocks (probably should update the avatar). I know the collapsible stocks are obviously adjustable for LOP and look cool, but I like a sturdy fixed stock much better and I think a rifle length buffer and spring work better.

Hddeuce03

Mar 29, 2018
    My 1st AR build

I completed this last summer, but never posted. It's a PSA lower and Radical Firearms 5.56 upper. My son bought me the scope and a tripod (not shown). I fired several hundred rounds though it at a very nice range in West Virginia near Charlestown. The build (minus scope), cost me less than $400 total.

Attachments

• My AR.jpg
      My AR.jpg
      62.9 KB · Views: 608

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

Piston ARs aren't banned so you can use a new lower with that upper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom