• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Mark Bowen doesn't even wipe the Frosh off his ass without permission from, well, Frosh.

Personally I think it would be great if the HPRB decided to step in an issue an appellate type opinion on GS. Frosh would drown in his own Frosh if that happened.

Did you listen to the video?

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Spoiler Alert: The Unmade Bed that is Mark Bowen argued that the HPRB has/had the ability to determine if G&S is constitutional. I shit you not. Someone call Judge Smails.

That's pretty bad. Then again in Federal cases 2A eligibility is pretty much handed to Congress' opinion.

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    this one is state in maryland state court

My mistake for confusing this with Malpasso. We had better hope this is solved in state or circuit because we now know if it goes past that it's not going anywhere.

Unfortunately a new strategy could now be to try and push all 2A cases up to SCOTUS because there won't be any action taken.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    My mistake for confusing this with Malpasso. We had better hope this is solved in state or circuit because we now know if it goes past that it's not going anywhere.

Unfortunately a new strategy could now be to try and push all 2A cases up to SCOTUS because there won't be any action taken.

The Court of Special Appeals refused to decide the merits, holding that the 2A arguments were waived because Mr. Whalen did not raise them before the HPRB. Case is over. So, let that be a lesson. You *must* preserve arguments if you hope to litigate the case. With the Board gone, that means that these arguments need to be raised before the Maryland State Police and again before the Office of Administrative Hearings and again before the Circuit Court and again before the Court of Special Appeals and again before the Court of Appeals.

Attachments

• Opinion.court of special appeals.pdf
      185.9 KB · Views: 158

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    The Court of Special Appeals refused to decide the merits, holding that the 2A arguments were waived because Mr. Whalen did not raise them before the HPRB. Case is over. So, let that be a lesson. You *must* preserve arguments if you hope to litigate the case. With the Board gone, that means that these arguments need to be raised before the Maryland State Police and again before the Office of Administrative Hearings and again before the Circuit Court and again before the Court of Special Appeals and again before the Court of Appeals.

This makes me sad. Especially the part about steam rolling over rights just because a hack team of political appointees weren't explicitly told the 2A exists and covers carrying outside the home.

Mr. Whalen's constitutional challenge was not made before the Board, it is not preserved here, and we see no reason to reach out to address it now.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

Maybe my grandchildren will be around to see SCOTUS hear another 2A case...

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    "Although unnecessary to uphold the
    Board's decision, we note the fact that Mr. Whalen is no longer an ANC Commissioner
    and that he now has a concealed carry pistol license issued by the District of Columbia
    completely undercut any argument that he has a good and substantial reason for obtaining
    a handgun permit in Maryland."

Huh?
    He has a DC permit, so he no longer has any iota of a claim towards an MD permit?

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County

Why is it subtitled on every page, "Unreported Opinion"? That seems an odd thing to have pasted on 11 pages of your work. I saw the disclaimer (below), but I don't understand the rationale for it.

*This is an unreported opinion and therefore may not be cited either as precedent or as
    persuasive authority in any paper, brief, motion, or other document filed in this Court or any
    other Maryland court. Md. Rule 1-104.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Why is it subtitled on every page, "Unreported Opinion"? That seems an odd thing to have pasted on 11 pages of your work. I saw the disclaimer (below), but I don't understand the rationale for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-publication_of_legal_opinions_in_the_United_States

An unpublished opinion is a decision of a court that is not available for citation as precedent because the court deems the case to have insufficient precedential value.

In the system of common law, each judicial decision becomes part of the body of law used in future decisions. However, some courts reserve certain decisions, leaving them "unpublished", and thus not available for citation in future cases. It has been argued that non-publication helps stem the problem of too much written material creating too little new law.[1] Specifically, the number of federal appeals filed annually grew from 23,200 to 33,360 between 1980 and 1985,[2] and 55,000 federal appeals were filed in 2000.[3] Conversely, studies have shown how non-publication can distort the law.[4]
    unpublished and unreported mean the same.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    They would have made a TS clearance court-prescribed as G&S if this opinion were published, based on the current wording. That could have been very useful when a future administration changes the issuing policy.

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    They would have made a TS clearance court-prescribed as G&S if this opinion were published, based on the current wording. That could have been very useful when a future administration changes the issuing policy.

Interesting. That would have made it potentially worth it to find a job that would get one. I still find it hilarious that people with CCWs for that reason still have the restriction of only while employed despite the fact that they don't magically lose their memory upon quitting or retiring.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Interesting. That would have made it potentially worth it to find a job that would get one. I still find it hilarious that people with CCWs for that reason still have the restriction of only while employed despite the fact that they don't magically lose their memory upon quitting or retiring.

Owning a side business or having a TS clearance are the two easiest paths. TS has significantly less drama from MSP, but you're stuck in very select positions, and it isn't available to just anyone. Anyone can sell their homemade crap at flea markets as a side business.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Owning a side business... Anyone can sell their homemade crap at flea markets as a side business.

Although this is not a difficult path, at least now that some things have changed, it's not to say that this is without significant cost to legitimize said "side business".

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Although this is not a difficult path, at least now that some things have changed, it's not to say that this is without significant cost to legitimize said "side business".

True enough ... but note that you can run said side business as a in-your-direct-name sole proprietorship. As long as you can show the cash flowing into your tax returns as a result of the business activity, you don't even need to set up an LLC or a business bank account, etc.

It will be easier/faster (in the lifetime of the business venture) to get the MSP to recognize the business if it has its own checking account, etc... because if you're just accounting for the income on your personal taxes as a SP, it's gonna be a while before you have a tax return to show them. Absent that (because, say, you only started that little business a couple of months ago), you'll need a solid paper trail of receipts/deposits that can be seen as exhibiting ZERO shenanigans and backing up the story of your new business. But it's doable. You can regularly mow half a dozen neighbors' lawns and make this work.

Ack Ack

Sep 4, 2013
    DC
    For clearance holders, it's possible that it might not be just TS. My Security Manager was reluctant to be specific in the letter due to liability concerns. She wrote: "Mr. Ack Ack holds a Department of Defense Security Clearance. As a security clearance holder, he has demonstrated a history of honesty, discretion, reliability, sound judgment, strength of character, trustworthiness, and loyalty to the U.S."

I don't know if they called the SM and if they did, I don't know if the level of my clearance discussed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom