• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steve67134

Nov 27, 2009
    I've been looking for jigs and lowers for the last few weeks and wanted to buy locally too. I haven't been able to find anything in the area. I've e-mailed a number of FFLs through their web sites and only 1 replied. Called a few directly and was told that they only carry such items occasionally and not at the moment. So I gave up and got everything I needed at the York gun show last weekend. I think the Nations show in Dulles would be a good place to buy locallyish too. Maryland seems to be out of the question. And it's not just the lowers it's the parts too.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    2 Part answer:
    1: A Machinist can make it from block of metal with drawing.
    2: If you have to ask, YES you need the jig.

1) Too much time involved for just making one.
    2) Could include a dimensional drawing of the cuts that are needed. Pilot holes already there for drill locations.

I don't know what is involved which is why I was asking. But hey! thanks for your douchie reply to questions not even asked.

2nd=Good+Substantial

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2012
    The Hereford Zone
    I've been looking for jigs and lowers for the last few weeks and wanted to buy locally too. I haven't been able to find anything in the area. I've e-mailed a number of FFLs through their web sites and only 1 replied. Called a few directly and was told that they only carry such items occasionally and not at the moment. So I gave up and got everything I needed at the York gun show last weekend. I think the Nations show in Dulles would be a good place to buy locallyish too. Maryland seems to be out of the question. And it's not just the lowers it's the parts too.

This is what I've been finding. I did see some lowers at Sports n Hobbies a couple weeks ago but they were out of the jigs so I didn't bother to get a price on the lowers.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    1) Too much time involved for just making one.
    2) Could include a dimensional drawing of the cuts that are needed. Pilot holes already there for drill locations.

I don't know what is involved which is why I was asking. But hey! thanks for your douchie reply to questions not even asked.

Originally Posted by StickShaker View Post
    Do you still need jigs if you use a full size milling machine? I was in a gun shop the other day and they mentioned a recent change in a law where you have to engrave your name and I think serial # into the lower now??????????

You are quite welcome. You asked the question, now you seem to already know the answer. The answer depends on your skill set.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    As far as the kit that 80% EASY JIG offers, Is this what I need, just for the basics not including power tools or aluminum blanks?

80% AR-15 Easy Jig (about $150)
    80% AR-15 Easy Jig with hardened steel bushings (about $170); will the one above do the job or is this one the must have?
    Easy jig tool kit (looks like 4 drills for the jig) - about $50
    Lastly, a replacement carbide End Mill ($28)

Would this be everything that I need from 80% Easy Jig or is there something I don't need on the list?
    Many thanks for any replies.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    As far as the kit that 80% EASY JIG offers, Is this what I need, just for the basics not including power tools or aluminum blanks?

80% AR-15 Easy Jig with hardened steel bushings (about $170); will the one above do the job or is this one the must have?

Would this be everything that I need from 80% Easy Jig or is there something I don't need on the list?

The hardened Drill bushings will last for many lowers. For only 1 they are not really required, but are nice. The carbide end mill should also last for many lowers. I use 2 flute end mills for AL and they last a long time. How long they last depends on how aggressive you go at the material and if you use Lubricant.
    Having said that I have not used a JIG to finish a lower.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD

The list above is exactly what I bought, minus the jig with bushings (not available when I got mine).

What's the commercial?

80% Easy Jig = $150
    Tool kit = $50
    Replacement end mill = $28
    "Ghost" gun = priceless
    For everything else, there's MasterCard :D

2nd=Good+Substantial

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2012
    The Hereford Zone

From what I've been able to determine, the standard jig is fine. I just prefer to go heavy duty when I buy a tool.

You could probably put together the bit set cheaper but I plan on buying theirs for convenience.

The replacement end mill can be had cheaper through Amazon. Muleskinner was kind enough to list the part number in an early post on this thread

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    The mill (or bit as you call it) is available on Amazon for around $20 from a company called Kodiak Cutting Tools part number B007BTPAZ8. I used it with an off the shelf craftsman router and had no issues. NEARLY all 80% lowers will fit into the easy jig from 80% arms. Maryland Quartermaster in Bel Air is where I bought my jig and I got the 80% from Arthur's Shooter's Supply in Berlin.

I did do a Polymer 80 lower first from Polymer80.com. It comes with the jig and all the cutting tools and I was able to do that using a drill press and an X Y drill press vise.

Both turned out good and I have now completed both rifles using them. I do recommend cutting oil when milling the aluminum lower. If keeps the mill and drill bits cool and helps to prevent chatter.

I am now working on a polymer80.com pistol frame that will allow me to build either a Glock or S&W M&P in 9MM, 40S&W or .357 Sig pistol. Frame is $169 and available on their webpage or MIDWAYUSA...The frame is called the Spectre..

Can you give me any details about the off the shelf Black and Decker router that you used, that is, model, part number, approx. cost, etc. To be used for an 80% metal lower. You say it worked well, so I'd like to follow your experience.
    Thanks!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Originally Posted by StickShaker View Post
    Do you still need jigs if you use a full size milling machine? I was in a gun shop the other day and they mentioned a recent change in a law where you have to engrave your name and I think serial # into the lower now??????????

You are quite welcome. You asked the question, now you seem to already know the answer. The answer depends on your skill set.
    They are helpful, even with a true mill. And...the shop was wrong, unless you plan to sell your lower or as a completed weapon, no serial number or name is needed. If you choose to configure it as an NFA weapon, then you need some engraving per ATF specs..

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    The mill (or bit as you call it) is available on Amazon for around $20 from a company called Kodiak Cutting Tools part number B007BTPAZ8. I used it with an off the shelf craftsman router and had no issues. NEARLY all 80% lowers will fit into the easy jig from 80% arms. Maryland Quartermaster in Bel Air is where I bought my jig and I got the 80% from Arthur's Shooter's Supply in Berlin.

I did do a Polymer 80 lower first from Polymer80.com. It comes with the jig and all the cutting tools and I was able to do that using a drill press and an X Y drill press vise.

Both turned out good and I have now completed both rifles using them. I do recommend cutting oil when milling the aluminum lower. If keeps the mill and drill bits cool and helps to prevent chatter.

I am now working on a polymer80.com pistol frame that will allow me to build either a Glock or S&W M&P in 9MM, 40S&W or .357 Sig pistol. Frame is $169 and available on their webpage or MIDWAYUSA...The frame is called the Spectre..

I see where Kodiak has a carbide end mill that is coated. Kodiak 136629, PN B0070YZ09K Last price I saw was $24.20.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Can you give me any details about the off the shelf Black and Decker router that you used, that is, model, part number, approx. cost, etc. To be used for an 80% metal lower. You say it worked well, so I'd like to follow your experience.
    Thanks!

I use a Makita trim router, was $100 at Home Depot. Works like a champ.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    I also used the Makita trim router - from Home Depot. Turn it up to "5" with the small router bit. Works better than at "1".
    As someone said earlier: big bits need slow, small bits need fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom