Looking for a Mauser 98 firing pin locally.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I just took apart the bolt on a 1916 Spandau Gew98 and found that the tip is broken off of the firing pin. I know I can buy one online, but I'd rather get one locally if possible. Any of you guys have one you'd be willing to sell?

Enfield303

Feb 12, 2011
    Harford County
    Mauser firing pin

Will this work? I am pretty sure it came from a Turkish Mauser.

Attachments

• Mauser firing pin.jpg
      Mauser firing pin.jpg
      26.9 KB · Views: 168

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    Will this work? I am pretty sure it came from a Turkish Mauser.

I'm not sure. The only thing that looks different is the part down the shaft, where the actual pin part starts. But it's hard to tell from the picture. Could you possibly get a better, closer picture of that part of it? Thanks.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I have one that measures 5.335 from the rear of the flange for the firing spring shoulder to the rear of the pin and about 1.996 from the rear of the flange to the tip so its around so its around 7.331 give or take a thou. Its from a 1912 Oberndorff 98 standard length bolt.
    Notice the milling for the cocking piece to see if it is what you need to work. There are some differences in 98 FP's. IMG_0887.jpg

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I have one that measures 5.335 from the rear of the flange for the firing spring shoulder to the rear of the pin and about 1.996 from the rear of the flange to the tip so its around so its around 7.331 give or take a thou. Its from a 1912 Oberndorff 98 standard length bolt.
    Notice the milling for the cocking piece to see if it is what you need to work. There are some differences in 98 FP's. View attachment 241878

Yeah, I think that's it.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I actually didn't realize the firing pin needed fitting! When I went to assemble the bolt, the cocking piece wouldn't turn to fit into the slot. I thought "what the heck" and kept fooling with it. I realized I could get it to turn on the pin with a bit of effort if I wasn't trying to install it at the same time. So, I did that several times until it loosened up enough to allow for the installation. So, it's a tight fit, but I'm hoping it will function properly when I get it to the range. As for pics, I will put some up this weekend when I'm not working and there enough light to get some decent photos. I'll also post some of the Swedish Mauser I also picked up recently. All this will be in a new post.

BTW... thanks again for the pin!

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Excellent news. Probably just manufacturing tolerances and will break in nicely. The tighter the fit outside of being able to rapidly assemble/ dis assemble will allow less slack in the cocking piece when the trigger is manipulated. Every bit counts on a factory Mauser trigger assembly. Glad you could use it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom