• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Took out a CMP Garand i am pretty sure i have not shot before. Shot it at 25 and 50 yrds. It was shooting right, more at 50. To get it centered at 50 yds i had to move the sights this far left. It was centered, but is this odd, normal? Thoughts would be appreciated. Pic attached.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Took out this old CMP garand. Don’t think i shot it before and shot at 25/50 yds. To get it centered at 50,had to move the sights all the way left as shown. Anyone think this is normal?

Attachments

• 41096D8D-C07A-4E58-9869-37BC096F3106.jpg
      41096D8D-C07A-4E58-9869-37BC096F3106.jpg
      49.6 KB · Views: 281

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I will look at front sight. I suppose it is moveable. The stock has RIA stamped and P on the pistol grip. Those should indicate govt rearsenaling?

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I will look at front sight. I suppose it is moveable. The stock has RIA stamped and P on the pistol grip. Those should indicate govt rearsenaling?

Yes, the front sight is adjustable. You'll need a 3/16" hex wrench.
    Get your front sight aligned to the center line of the barrel and rear sight and adjust the rear sight from there.

:thumbsup:

If it's a CMP rifle it was built with various parts in their shops. That's different than ""gov't re-arsenaled"...

I also suggest you disassemble and clean your rear sight. It's likely you'll find dried up crud in the gears. Once cleaned a little CLP is all you need for lube. It's not hard to do...

;)

Attachments

• IMG_0301.jpg
      IMG_0301.jpg
      96.7 KB · Views: 269

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    If it is a CMP gun, contact them and describe it to them. I would send it back and have them fix it. That is way too far off center.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    On my third set of hex wrenches i found one that fit and moved the front sight a smidge right. I will bring the rear to zero and try it again. CMP may have had a go at parts, ut its a 3.2m springfield with a ‘51 springfield barrel. It has a springfield bolt but i have no idea re the parts numbers in terms of date. Taking the sight apart may be a little nerve wracking. I can see the parts on the table and be unable to put them back. Maybe i can talk my wife back to the range tomorrow or mon. She shot and enjoyed a winchester m1 carbine and a colt AR today but did not want to shoot this. Guys, thanks for the help and good ideas on this.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I have probably owned this 7 years. Just shooting it now.
    You think they would sight it if i can’t?

If it came from CMP this way, they will make it right. No need to disassemble the rear sight, as some have suggested, it will not affect the issue. If your front sight is centered, it could be moved to correct point of impact but, not that much.
    Without seeing the gun, I would suspect that the barrel is not indexed properly to the receiver.
    CMP is pretty good about taking care of any issues with the guns they sell.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    On my third set of hex wrenches i found one that fit and moved the front sight a smidge right. I will bring the rear to zero and try it again. CMP may have had a go at parts, ut its a 3.2m springfield with a ‘51 springfield barrel. It has a springfield bolt but i have no idea re the parts numbers in terms of date. Taking the sight apart may be a little nerve wracking. I can see the parts on the table and be unable to put them back. Maybe i can talk my wife back to the range tomorrow or mon. She shot and enjoyed a winchester m1 carbine and a colt AR today but did not want to shoot this. Guys, thanks for the help and good ideas on this.

Did the front sight appear centered prior to moving it?

Q

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek

First let me send you to this thread: https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?217956&p=5027148#post5027148.

Having recently attended a CMP AMC class doesn't make us "experts", but I think we "maybe" learned a little something about building, maintaining and accurizing Garands at the class... ;)

As I said before, the tool you need to loosen and adjust the front sight is a 3/16" hex wrench. You can get one for < $1 at any hardware store. Align your front sight to the center line of the barrel. Then adjust your rear sight's elevation and windage.

The ammo you shoot in your Garand will also effect its performance and sighting. Please make sure you are shooting "Garand-Safe" ammo.

I have probably owned this 7 years. Just shooting it now.
    You think they would sight it if i can’t?

Sure, you could send the rifle back to the CMP. But why? 1) It would cost you shipping; 2) It would take a long time, and 3) Cleaning and adjusting your sights is something you can easily do yourself.

Check your muzzle crown, they did sell some years ago that had dings in the muzzle crown on the service grade.

That's a possibility, but sight alignment is the first thing to check and can easily be done.

No need to disassemble the rear sight, as some have suggested, it will not affect the issue.

Without seeing the gun, I would suspect that the barrel is not indexed properly to the receiver.

With respect to the need to clean the rear sight I totally disagree! It's a simple procedure to perform. If there is dried cosmoline or other crud on the gears it can and will affect sight adjustment.

Could the barrel be out of alignment and not timed to the receiver? Sure. But that's not difficult to check. If it is, that would require re-torquing the barrel, confirming head space and a trip back to the CMP or a gunsmith unless one has the tools and knowledge to do it themselves.

Zorros,

Aligning your front sight to center line and cleaning your rear sight isn't difficult. If you'd like additional help you're welcome to send me a PM...

;)

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    First let me send you to this thread: https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?217956&p=5027148#post5027148.

Having recently attended a CMP AMC class doesn't make us "experts", but I think we "maybe" learned a little something about building, maintaining and accurizing Garands at the class... ;)

As I said before, the tool you need to loosen and adjust the front sight is a 3/16" hex wrench. You can get one for < $1 at any hardware store. Align your front sight to the center line of the barrel. Then adjust your rear sight's elevation and windage.

The ammo you shoot in your Garand will also effect its performance and sighting. Please make sure you are shooting "Garand-Safe" ammo.

Sure, you could send the rifle back to the CMP. But why? 1) It would cost you shipping; 2) It would take a long time, and 3) Cleaning and adjusting your sights is something you can easily do yourself.

That's a possibility, but sight alignment is the first thing to check and can easily be done.

With respect to the need to clean the rear sight I totally disagree! It's a simple procedure to perform. If there is dried cosmoline or other crud on the gears it can and will affect sight adjustment.

Could the barrel be out of alignment and not timed to the receiver? Sure. But that's not difficult to check. If it is, that would require re-torquing the barrel, confirming head space and a trip back to the CMP or a gunsmith unless one has the tools and knowledge to do it themselves.

Zorros,

Aligning your front sight to center line and cleaning your rear sight isn't difficult. If you'd like additional help you're welcome to send me a PM...

;)

Cleaning the rear sight will not change the sight alignment to point of impact.
    Nothing wrong with cleaning the rear sight though. Since the presumption is that the front sight is centered ( no pic so, don't know for certain), the rear sight is way too far off center. Since it is supposedly a CMP gun, instead of spending money on trying to fix the problem, I recommend sending it back to CMP who should fix the issue for free. Failing that, another option is to have Charlie Maloney inspect the rifle for a professional smith's recommendations.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Great thoughts. Thank you. I did move the front sight a bit and i will take the rear back to zero. The ammo i used today is greek surplus from CMP somthat should be safe. Looked for corrosion.pic of front sight before i moved it.

Attachments

• C1D7D81C-4571-480E-BF77-36EE1268A65E.jpg
      C1D7D81C-4571-480E-BF77-36EE1268A65E.jpg
      46.2 KB · Views: 183

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Cleaning the rear sight will not change the sight alignment to point of impact.
    Nothing wrong with cleaning the rear sight though. Since the presumption is that the front sight is centered ( no pic so, don't know for certain), the rear sight is way too far off center. Since it is supposedly a CMP gun, instead of spending money on trying to fix the problem, I recommend sending it back to CMP who should fix the issue for free. Failing that, another option is to have Charlie Maloney inspect the rifle for a professional smith's recommendations.

Oh Kay -> Two questions:

- When was the last time you built a Garand from parts to a complete and "range-proven" rifle?
    - Your solution to the OP's sighting issue is to simply send the rifle back to the CMP or take it to a gunsmith? Trust me, it's NOT free either way...

:sad20:

Sir, it won't cost the OP a dime to diagnose the issue himself. And maybe he'll learn something about his Garand in the process. Wouldn't it make sense to identify the issue before putting additional $'s into it?

The OP knows he can send me a PM if he seeks input.

I've been on too many threads over the years where inaccurate advice is served up. I'm done with this thread...

:outta her

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Nearly 16 minutes at 25-50 yds is way over. I think either the barrel has been under/over tightened or in the extreme it may be bent. In the first picture it also looks like the aperture has taken a hard hit to the top. Run it all the way up and down and see if it heads east or west on you.
    After I did that, I would strip the rifle and do a tilt test. The rear sight that far over you may see some binding. If every thing slides the way it should, look inside the gas piston and at the piston itself to see what the wear pattern looks like for galling.
    If your still not happy with what you discover, remove the rear sight and put a nice straight steel rod through the sight ears and fix another to the dovetail on the mounted gas cylinder, set it on a level bench or level the receiver and give it the calibrated eyeball when viewed from the rear and see what you see. A level mill vise is even better if you have one available. Let the vise jaws support the steel rod at the receiver.
    Dont forget to check for the obvious like the F/S not tightened or the gas cylinder loose as a goose or even the front site bent or some other wacky thing.

Orlando

there is nothing wrong with your rifle. Why do you think they made both the front and rear sights adjustable??
    Early on the gas cylinders had narrow bases so the front sight couldn't be moved without hanging over the edge on the base
    This is the very reason the changed to wide base, so you can adjust the front sight and leave the rear closer to center

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom