• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    A Toyota dealer tried to get my mom for $4000 worth of repairs. What they didn’t know was she worked for a company that published the service manuals. One of her coworkers took her car to a buddy of his on his lunch hour. That $4000 bill turned into $1100. Now my wife and I are using him too.

I literally had the exact (almost down to the amounts you quoted) thing happen at Koons Toyota of Annapolis. I dropped it off for some work and they come back with a $4300 in repairs for an '08 4Runner. I told them to pound sand, took it to a local shop and 90% of the things weren't needed at all and the things that were, the initial reason for going in, were fixed for 1100 at Maryland Muffler in Millersville. I cannot recommend Maryland Muffler enough.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Car dealers are always more expensive because they gotta pay the big bucks to half their employees who all have manager in their official title; lot attendant manager, water bottle/coffee maintenance manager, showroom floor polish applications manager, etc.

Just kidding

melikou1

Aug 31, 2017
    The 'Dena, MD
    Unfortunately, nothing new for almost any part of the state or country. When I finally got my elderly parents to move out of Cumberland (only because we had no family there) not long after there were settled in near where I live I stopped over to see them and looked at my dad's car tires. The tread was worn out and they looked horrible...and the car only had about 20k miles on it.

Turns out my dad had taken it into the Toyota dealer in Cumberland for some regular maintenance before the move. And knowing the way he was, he probably told them he was moving. So someone at the shop was kind enough to steal his decent tires and put a set on that looked like they had about 50k on them.

Not all predators walk on 4 legs.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I have found the best prices on tires from...Amazon. Wife called me and asked why the UPS driver was rolling tires up our driveway. I told her because I was able to buy Goodyear Eagles for my Civic at less than half the cost of the tire anywhere else from Amazon. Shipping was free with Prime. I never buy tires from a car dealer, they will be the highest of any seller.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Well this has been a thread about a Ford dealership that has a shady side....

I recently picked up an F150 from Preston Ford on the Eastern Shore. Can't say enough good things about them. Now this is for the sales side and not the service side, so cannot say anything about that specifically.

They even drove the vehicle up to meet me and do the paperwork. I took possession, drove it around a bit to be sure I was OK. (First larger vehicle). Then drove it back over the bridge to prove that I could.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Car dealers are always more expensive because they gotta pay the big bucks to half their employees who all have manager in their official title; lot attendant manager, water bottle/coffee maintenance manager, showroom floor polish applications manager, etc.

Just kidding

Sadly not that far off for some places. I've worked for 5 dealerships. The 3 in MD only had one service manager. My current dealershhop in TX has 4 "managers" associated with the service department.

But seriously it's the overhead. Nicer facilities, often air conditioned, higher trained techs(should be anyway), etc.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Well this has been a thread about a Ford dealership that has a shady side....

I recently picked up an F150 from Preston Ford on the Eastern Shore. Can't say enough good things about them. Now this is for the sales side and not the service side, so cannot say anything about that specifically.

Last week I picked up a new car and experienced a miracle: In and out the door in 30 minutes. No sit-down with the 'finance manager', no sit-down with the gal who sells the overpriced extended warranties nothing. I walked to the sales desk, told them who I was, gave them the signed paperwork. The general sales manager took me out to the car, we took a lap around the freeway and he gave me the keys and the certificate of origin. I am still shocked and wondering how I escaped the insufferable dog and pony show.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Turns out my dad had taken it into the Toyota dealer in Cumberland for some regular maintenance before the move. And knowing the way he was, he probably told them he was moving. So someone at the shop was kind enough to steal his decent tires and put a set on that looked like they had about 50k on them.

Not all predators walk on 4 legs.

I had a new alternator disappear off a VW while it was in to get a recall done. When I offered to file a police report for theft someone 'corrected the mixup'. Wtf.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Last week I picked up a new car and experienced a miracle: In and out the door in 30 minutes. No sit-down with the 'finance manager', no sit-down with the gal who sells the overpriced extended warranties nothing. I walked to the sales desk, told them who I was, gave them the signed paperwork. The general sales manager took me out to the car, we took a lap around the freeway and he gave me the keys and the certificate of origin. I am still shocked and wondering how I escaped the insufferable dog and pony show.

Lucky guy. I don't really buy new cars, but the last 2 times I helped a family member buy a new car they tried to give them the spiel about how they are required to do that. One of the idiots even suggested it was the law, lol

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky

Just kidding

Kidding about what? There are no free rides, even the lot boy has a price. Many buildings are leased, inventory is on a floor plan, after 90 days that car is costing them $$$ just to sit if it doesn't sell. Tools particular to certain vehicles aren't free or cheap.

Hippy

Mar 11, 2008
    Frostburg Md
    Dealers R all the SAME--we have all heard Horror Stories about Women getting RIPPED off at Dealers.
    Wifey took Acura MDX to dealer for Factory Service and was told that it needed Brakes & Rotors (17,000 Miles) plus Front end alignment and they would B glad to do it while she was there for $ 879.00.
    She declined and took it to a Local shop and was given a clean Bill of Health.

They prey on the FEAR Factor by mentioning Brakes, Tires etc as they know all ladies are familiar with those items and know that Bad things can happen if they R defective

Jim

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Dealers R all the SAME--we have all heard Horror Stories about Women getting RIPPED off at Dealers.
    Wifey took Acura MDX to dealer for Factory Service and was told that it needed Brakes & Rotors (17,000 Miles) plus Front end alignment and they would B glad to do it while she was there for $ 879.00.
    She declined and took it to a Local shop and was given a clean Bill of Health.

They prey on the FEAR Factor by mentioning Brakes, Tires etc as they know all ladies are familiar with those items and know that Bad things can happen if they R defective

Jim

The word ALL is painting a pretty broad brush, to the tune of 10s of thousands of dealerships across the country based on the experience of one person. Not to mention it may not even be a reflection on that entire dealership, but rather a lone crooked service writer.

If the manager at my shop found out about something like that a head or two would roll.

By that logic, ALL ffls are crooked because one tried to force me to buy a bore lock from them instead of bringing my own...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom