• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bratgirllcp

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2013
    Grasonville MD
    I have Taurus 357 model 605
    LOVE LOVE the size for me,a woman due to thumb issue could not pull back a slide so I got the revolver perfect size for me very happy with it

rhippert

Aug 25, 2013
    Silver Spring, MD
    I purchased an LCR with the shroaded hammer and Crimson Trace Grips. The grips are a hard plastic. With +P ammo, it was down right painful to shoot. I got a pair of the original Ruger rubber grips (probably Houge). They made it a lot more pleasant to shoot. The key seems to be a very soft insert on the inside about 3/8 to 1/2 inch in diameter.

My Mom (85) has an SP101 (4 inch barrel I think). It's her carry gun, although she is looking for something smaller.

A previous post or two recommended taking her to a range where you can rent and try different guns (and different ammo). Let her try the grip and feel at the counter, and then let her try shooting them. After all, if she isn't happy and comfortable with it, she won't carry it.

Good luck!

Gutshot

Mar 25, 2017
    Let her rent and shoot a 4 inch and a snub nose both. You might find she (maybe quickly) changes her mind.
    Please acknowledge
    Hornady Lite ammo, . 38 much less recoil and still effective
    Home use 4" barrel ok, carry not so, remember the best

western gun fighters wanted a 5 1/2 barrel.
    Please try before you buy, I have sold many and many came back to the store unhappy.
    I had a loyal customer that bought a Ruger 9 mm revolver from a co worker , while I was off, the man was not happy when he found out it required moon clips.
    Please try before you buy, even a colt .32 is long barreled but a sweet shooter.
    Most women have a hard time with slides on semi autos , also cocking revolvers with the thumb.
    .22 magnum in Ruger lcr is also an easy revolver to shoot for a lady, but hard trigger, .22 mag has almost as much knock down power as .380
    Please shop around and try before you buy ! "You have the right to remain silent, and be a victim "

dvcrsn

Oct 13, 2010
    my mother has a LCR that she likes--I am 56 so do the math for her age--the trigger pull is light enough for her to shoot even with arthritis and since she is less than 5 feet tall, size is a concern--the only one of my revolvers that would fit her is my snub Seccurity Six since I left the wood grips on it

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I think your wife would love the S&W Model 37. The 37s are ideal for carry and they pack the punch one needs.

I have four and all of them are For Sale, due to a major health issue that I am dealing with these days. Priced from $525 to $725.

Lew--Ranger63
    Laurel, MD 20707

Ranger Tom

Jan 28, 2013
    Woodsboro MD
    As I have posted on this forum several times, make the choice hers'. Went down this road with my wife several years ago, looked at Smiths and Rugers, She chose a Ruger LCR, .38 Spl +P. She practices with regular .38s, but keeps Hornady 110 gr Critical Defense +Ps in it for business use.
    Recoil is similar to my SP 101, and the trigger is lighter and smooth.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I think your wife would love the S&W Model 37. The 37s are ideal for carry and they pack the punch one needs.

I have four and all of them are For Sale, due to a major health issue that I am dealing with these days. Priced from $525 to $725.

Lew--Ranger63

Laurel, MD 20707

You mean one of these?
    0ad40e65a473d5519fc34006446a4945.jpg

Mine probably isn't as pretty as yours, but it's a great shooter. I just ran a box of 158 grain LRN through it last week.
    I will vouch for the quality of Lew's guns. I just bought a Taurus Judge from him and it was in exceptional condition.

chino101

Jan 12, 2011
    Another vote for the LCR, being that it is light weight and the polymer frame seems to absorb some of the shock from firing.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    She is leaning heavily toward the S&W 642/442 or 637. Anyone own one? I've heard the recoil on these is brutal. Any first hand experience here with them?

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    She is leaning heavily toward the S&W 642/442 or 637. Anyone own one? I've heard the recoil on these is brutal. Any first hand experience here with them?

Light gun so the recoil pops it good if not concentrating , but nothing causing discomfort. The stock rubber grip is good. I have 380's that cause pain, but this does not. Very easy to do a trigger job on if you care to, but the stock trigger isn't bad just heavy.

You can always use Cowboy Loads, I'd surmise they'd still do the job in self defense mode. This lady seem to like it. Looks like she does just fine with it.
    FF to 3:05 to see her shoot.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I don't think the 637 comes without an internal lock. Really don't want that. I wish I could find an older steel Smith in my price range.

You can remove it.

Mine has it. Not going to activate w/o inserting and turning a key.

Tebonski

Jan 23, 2013
    Harford County
    I recently shot the Ruger LCR. Great trigger and sights and I was surprised it's chambered for .357 magnum which I wouldn't recommend in this sized gun. I was shooting with a retired police lady and she was hitting the FBI Q target at 25 yards 4 shots out of 5. Of course she did benefit from my instruction!!!! It's all sight picture and trigger control.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

Recoil is definitely snappy out of the box. The grip makes all the difference. The factory 2 peice boot grip conceals well, but recoil is harshest, light 38s aren't bad, but anything heavy or +p will beat up an experienced shooter, and feel brutal to a new shooter. Added a hogue monogrip, and it cut recoil in 1/2, a soft backstrap and longer grip tame recoil substantially, light loads are friendly, heavy loads aren't bad, it's good for smaller hands, and is the grip my wife likes to shoot it with. Have a pachmayr compact grip, the largest of the 3, and has metal weights in it, cuts recoil the most as it's basically a full size revolver grip and heavy, even a box of +Ps don't bother me or the wife with it, but the size and adding nearly 40% more weight to the revolver make it suck for carry. As far as a model, for anything defensive, DAO is the only way to fly, IMO a single action hammer ends up being a crutch, and confuses operation, internal like the 442 or LCR is best, but bobbing a SA/DA hammer can work. If the pull is too heavy, a carry trigger job can help, smoothing and reshaping, but keep the stiff spring rates, especially the hammer spring to avoid misfires or light strikes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom