• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Hey All,

OK, I'm accepting that I'll never make nice nice with my un-beloved early model Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory.

I got one to replace a Ruger MKIII Hunter Model, which I loved with the exception of its breakdown for cleaning.

I love the easy takedown of the SW22, the simplicity, and the reliability - not a single issue at all in 250 some odd rounds. However I just can't stand the grips, and therefore don't shoot it inconsistently! :sad20: Now I understand I can drop $146 on some nice target grips, however I just ain't feelin this thing, so its gonna go, whether trade or sale...

So, I'm looking to replace it with a new 22 auto, and my top seeds at the moment are either the GSG 1911 22 Target, or the Smith & Wesson M&P22 - full sized.

I like the prospect of the M&P22, because I recently purchased one of TK Defense's Police Trade-in M&P 9's, and I was shocked how much I liked it right out of the box, in spite of the bad press about its trigger. I shot it as well if not better than a very modified Glock 19. So having an M&P22 as a similar form factor auto may be nice. I understand the 22 has hammer firing internals vs. the 9's striker firing internals, but most of the reviews I look at seem to suggest its a good shooter as well right out of the box just like the 9.

I like the prospect of the GSG because I am a 1911 fan - Colt Defender, and an ATI FX45 Thunderbolt Enhanced(V-10 ported) - and the GSG it seems to have LOTS of options for pretty affordable upgrades and "accurizing." I can also get it in "Target" gripped format, for cheaper than I got my SW22 Victory base model.

So, which to buy? I'm interested in anyone's personal experience with these. loved em, hated them, quirks with either, what say you?

Any info greatly appreciated. Opinions welcomed as well.

TIA,

--JB

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Why not get a Ruger Mark 4?

If you love the Mark iii, the new model takes care of your disassembly issue.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Why not get a Ruger Mark 4?

If you love the Mark iii, the new model takes care of your disassembly issue.

Well, mostly price. The "trade up" I'd be doing with the mentioned pistols would be minimal cost. If I got another Ruger, it'd cost $150-$250 more than the SW22 I'd be trading in. Plus everything seems more expensive - upgrades, mags, etc.. Oh, and the 22/45 is not as much of interest, as I don't like the polymer lowers, vs. the metal ones of the mentioned pistols... --JB

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    With .22 pistols, I'm of the opinion that you get what you pay for.

I've shot the compact m&p but not full size. It seemed to work fine.

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    The M&P22 Compact is nice, but since it’s the only .22 Pistol I’ve fired I️ can’t offer a comparison.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    I have the m&p22 compact and I love it. After a lot of online research I went with the compact because, by most accounts it was a much more reliable gun. Mine will reliably cycle everything I have fed it with the exception of American Eagle .22.
    It is worth taking a look at.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    I have the m&p22 compact and I love it. After a lot of online research I went with the compact because, by most accounts it was a much more reliable gun. Mine will reliably cycle everything I have fed it with the exception of American Eagle .22.
    It is worth taking a look at.

Oh? Interesting. Any idea's as to why more reliable? I'm assuming because less slide mass to move, or maybe spring rates. I'd be amenable to getting a compact. I'm assuming you lose any option to upgrade mags for more capacity, yes? --JB

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Interesting info found doing some quick looks at M&P22 Compact Reviews - according to Iraqveteran8888, supposedly the Compact is built in US, assuming by S&W, vs the Full Sized ones, built by Walther.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You left out the .22lr 1911 mfg by Walther ( Colt branded, probably others) . Yes , they are different from the GSG mfg ones .

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Honestly the Ruger is the only one mentioned I would consider to be a target gun. The other two are more so plinkers good for fun and training.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Honestly the Ruger is the only one mentioned I would consider to be a target gun. The other two are more so plinkers good for fun and training.

I'm not necessarily looking for a dedicated Target Rimfire pistol. I only mentioned the GSG Target since I can effectively get the Target grips for the same price as the compared M&P22. --JB

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    Oh? Interesting. Any idea's as to why more reliable? I'm assuming because less slide mass to move, or maybe spring rates. I'd be amenable to getting a compact. I'm assuming you lose any option to upgrade mags for more capacity, yes? --JB

Full size is made by Walther. The the compact is made in the USA by S&W.
    From what I have read the reliability issues in the full size are due to a gap in the feed ramp that the compact does not have.

The compact only takes 10 round mags. I believe you can add a few rounds to the the max with an extended floor plate.
    Mine runs sub and supersonic loads with no problem. The compact comes with a threaded barrel with under the slide so if you ever want to use it with a suppressor or a comp you just need to buy a $15 adapter to move the threaded end past the end of the slide.
    It is not a bullseye or target pistol. It has combat style sights but it is a good shooter. The trigger is not great but it is not bad either. It does have a decently short reset on the trigger that has a good tactile feel upon reset.

I will try to do a better write up sooner rather that later. I have been meaning to do it anyway.

In the picture is a target shot at ranges varying from 15-25 yards it was 300-400 from 6-7 manufacturers. Some of it was a hodgepodge of 20+ year old bulk Ammo. This was all done in less than two hours.

Attachments

• IMG_3707.jpg
      IMG_3707.jpg
      113.1 KB · Views: 194

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    My bride has a M&P .22 and so far hadn't had any issues with any ammo that has been shout out of it. Gun is more accurate than I am and runs flawless with out any hiccups. I have a couple of other S&W guns so I like the fact that it's a clone of the other ones which makes it easier to transition from one platform to the other. All the important levers and safety are in the same position. Fun gun and the mags can be has for a fair price.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I have the GSG 1911 and really like it. It has the feel of a regular 1911 just slightly lighter. Fun to shoot and surprisingly accurate. ATI has great customer service too. I had to send it back for service when it was four years old and they fixed it no charge and turned it around in less than two weeks. My son has the S&W compact 22and it is also a great little gun. Hard to choose between the two.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    Id still go with the Mk IV. Pay the price and never look back. I have the Hunter and love the thing! its the extra cost of 6 or 8 bricks of ammo. Same accuracy as III's and the takedown and workmanship is superb.
    (takes Mk III mags too)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom