• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I also heard something similar from an elementary teacher in St. Mary's County Maryland who had moved there from Elkins, WV. Said the schools in that area of WV where she used to teach were better, mainly because of the student/teacher ratio which allowed them to work more one on one with the children.

Anywhere "North of 60" this is pretty true. In the southern coalfields, not so much. I grew up in Charleston and received a fantastic education in the public school system. Most of my classmates who applied themselves went on to become well respected in their various fields. Doctors, lawyers, engineers, computer programmers, etc. US Route 60 (and now, I-64 more or less) divides the state into the northern and southern fields respectively. Generally speaking, the standard of living is better north of 60 than south of it.

Back in the heyday of mining, even the schools down in the southern part of the state did well and produced some fine folks (Homer Hickam for example) but the steady decline of mining from the 1950s onward meant fewer jobs, fewer families, and thus, fewer kids which created a consolidation boom in the 80s that really hurt the school systems down there. Despite living in the area here for nearly 15 years, I have yet to see the kids here have any great success that kids in WV couldn't achieve. I actually think the smaller schools back home are superior, but that's just me.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Property taxes in Berkeley Co. WV are pretty low, mine have dropped the last few years on a single family home down below 1,000 a year.

PA had weird alcohol laws where you needed to go to a beer distributor as opposed to just going by Walmart or 7 eleven. If that's your thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom