• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍

It unfortunately is illegal to bring a firearm into New York State without having a permit to possess it there. The law is confusing and people are arrested every day for unknowingly breaking their law.

While it is every individual's responsibility to at least gain a basic understanding of the laws of the place they're traveling to, it is egregious that NY and other jurisdictions nail well-meaning people like this and locking them up, rather than exercising discretion.

(handgunlaw.us is your best friend, btw)

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    This is why we all need to be lawyers, investigators, Indian Chiefs too.

It ain't easy being pro 2A.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    At least this is getting some exposure which may help make everyone aware of the traps.
    Perhaps it will save someone.
    NY has been on my "do not visit" list for quite some time. So has DC.
    The prosecutors are sworn to uphold the law, even if they hate it.
    The despair & anger should be turned on the legislators both here and in NY.

My one worry is that I'll be on a flight, on which I am carrying firearms/accessories banned in NY or NJ, somehow diverted to NY or NJ

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    At least this is getting some exposure which may help make everyone aware of the traps.
    Perhaps it will save someone.
    NY has been on my "do not visit" list for quite some time. So has DC.
    The prosecutors are sworn to uphold the law, even if they hate it.
    The despair & anger should be turned on the legislators both here and in NY.

My one worry is that I'll be on a flight, on which I am carrying firearms/accessories banned in NY or NJ, somehow diverted to NY or NJ

May be best to just not take possession of the luggage in that case, cheaper to buy a new firearm than spend $15K on a lawyer.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    May be best to just not take possession of the luggage in that case, cheaper to buy a new firearm than spend $15K on a lawyer.

I believe some one was charged, and convicted, for doing just that (taking possession of a firearm).

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    This maggot is a gun-grabbing, 'toe-the-line', big government, liberal, lackey who cannot wait to give his next harrumph. What an asshat.

NYC.jpg

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    This maggot is a gun-grabbing, 'toe-the-line', big government, liberal, lackey who cannot wait to give his next harrumph. What an asshat.

View attachment 211122

District Attorneys for the most part, are all angling for elected office. There are definitely some who are willing to be good public servants, but all too many use the position as a stepping stone to being elected mayor, governor or attorney general.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Did that D.A. ever say he doesn't like New York's or NYC's gun laws? I didn't hear it if he did.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Wasnt that in New Jersey and the result of a plane rerouting or something?

It was indeed in NJ. Here's a reference to it:

Traveling Man's Gun Arrest Appealed to Supreme Court
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/01/18/traveling-mans-gun-arrest-appealed-supreme-court.html

I think that based on what I heard in the OP the same danger exists in NY.
    For domestic flights I'm going to investigate shipping my firearms instead of flying with them.
    That approach isn't available for overseas flights.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

View attachment 211122

Actually, his attitude is quite typical of prosecutors everywhere. It's a "I didn't make the law, my job is just to enforce it". That these two got off with such a light (non-disqualifying) charge is actually an indication that the prosecutor exerised his discretion appropriately. Don't blame a prosecutor for being a prosecutor.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Actually, his attitude is quite typical of prosecutors everywhere. It's a "I didn't make the law, my job is just to enforce it". That these two got off with such a light (non-disqualifying) charge is actually an indication that the prosecutor exerised his discretion appropriately. Don't blame a prosecutor for being a prosecutor.
    Can a prosecutor drop all charges, or does someone else make that decision?

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Just following orders, eh? He should be disbarred for unethical conduct for going along with it. He either doesn't know better which makes him unfit for the job and profession in total or does know better and does it anyway which would also make him unfit. Just being a prosecutor is one thing--this is being a sociopath.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

Can we blame the prosecutor for failing to exercise discretion? Don't officers of the court swear to uphold the COTUS?

I suppose I'm being naive. It's an elected position, presumably, and subject to pressure from the tyrants of the majority.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Just following orders, eh? He should be disbarred for unethical conduct for going along with it. He either doesn't know better which makes him unfit for the job and profession in total or does know better and does it anyway which would also make him unfit. Just being a prosecutor is one thing--this is being a sociopath.

It is not unethical under the code of professional responsibility for him to do what he did. You can argue that the statutes he enforces are unconstitutional, but no court has so held. Look, my point here is not to defend the prosecutor. MY point is to blame the legislature.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    It is not unethical under the code of professional responsibility for him to do what he did. You can argue that the statutes he enforces are unconstitutional, but no court has so held. Look, my point here is not to defend the prosecutor. MY point is to blame the legislature.

:thumbsup: The legislatures pass all these laws with no clue what practical impact they have on law abiding citizens. In fact they don't really care because they are deluded in thinking that criminals will honor the laws they pass. Few of our legislators are guided by a moral compass,

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    sstrum

Latest threads

Top Bottom