• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    I've tested many bore cleaners like many folks and found a few that worked well. I picked up a bottle of Flitz bore cleaner and just finished trying it on 2 rifles. Granted, they only had 20-30 rounds thru them but 30 strokes with a bronze brush and then dry patched and perfectly clean as verified by a bore scope. I think this was my easiest cleaning yet. Going to keep using it for a while to continue testing it.

TreadNot

May 11, 2012
    Bel Air
    Sounds interesting. Here's the ingredient list. Wonder what sets it apart?

California SB 258Product Right To Know Ingredient Disclosure
    FLITZSKUGun Bore CleanerRevision
    Date:11/13/201
    9Part #GB 049
    Ingredient NameCAS #Functional Purpose
    Water7732-18-5dilutent
    Aluminum Oxide1344-28-1polishing agent
    Hydrocarbons C10-C13, n-alkanes, isoalkanes,cyclics, <2% aromatics64742-48-9cleaning agent
    Triethanolamine102-71-6cleaning agent
    Castor oil, sulfated, sodium salt68187-76-8surfactant
    Limonene5989-27-5fragrance
    3,7-Dikmethyl-2,6-octadien-1-al5392-40-5fragrance
    Chromium Oxide1308-38-9colorant
    1,2-Benzisothiazol-3(2H)-one2634-33-5preservative
    2-Methyl-2H-isothiazol-3-one2682-20-4preservative

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Sounds interesting. Here's the ingredient list. Wonder what sets it apart?

California SB 258Product Right To Know Ingredient Disclosure
    FLITZSKUGun Bore CleanerRevision
    Date:11/13/201
    9Part #GB 049
    Ingredient NameCAS #Functional Purpose
    Water7732-18-5dilutent
    Aluminum Oxide1344-28-1polishing agent
    Hydrocarbons C10-C13, n-alkanes, isoalkanes,cyclics, <2% aromatics64742-48-9cleaning agent
    Triethanolamine102-71-6cleaning agent
    Castor oil, sulfated, sodium salt68187-76-8surfactant
    Limonene5989-27-5fragrance
    3,7-Dikmethyl-2,6-octadien-1-al5392-40-5fragrance
    Chromium Oxide1308-38-9colorant
    1,2-Benzisothiazol-3(2H)-one2634-33-5preservative
    2-Methyl-2H-isothiazol-3-one2682-20-4preservative

Yeap, I want to use over and over sandpaper in my bore.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I always used Flitz to polish brass ML parts after they were finished from a rough sand cast. Never used it in the bore of a rifle. Every once in a while Ill use sweets, Kroil and then JB compound for a good shooting rifle.

Push a patch covered in grease through a hot rifle barrel before you leave the range, a barrel with a nice interior finish will wipe right out real easy.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    On the Mohs' Hardness scale, (talc is 1 and diamond is 10), aluminum oxide comes in at 9, while chromium oxide comes in at 8.5. Both are very aggressive abrasives.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    "Ed's Red" Bore Cleaner
    Make your own it works and is less expensive. Search for "Ed's Red " for plenty of testimonials. It is an updated version of one found in Hatcher's Notebook.

Here is how it is done written by ED himself:
    http://www.lasc.us/EdsRedBoreCleaner.htm

I worked on it with Ed. It met or exceeded MIL-C-372B except for odor (subjective test anyway) and flammability. At the time I had access to a military contractor's QC labs.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Wipe out for the win. Foam it up the bore, walk away and do something else for an hour or so, come back and run a couple dry patches from chamber to muzzle. Bam! Clean.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    That formula for Eds Red has at least been around as long as walmart began selling home computers.
    I also think it was on Frog s home page during the same period.
    Brownells used to market Ed's sabot and plastic wad cleaner which seemed to me to be a useful product but I never got around to using it. Maybe it was because of hazardous shipping cant remember. Later on the same product was re-branded with Brownell's trade mark.
    Dont know if its still available.
    Transmission fluid will do a wonderful job of removing impacted grease and dirt from your hands if you've ever been involved with that sort of thing. Its also a good treatment for neglected bores that are caked with carbon and powder fouling.
    I have Krag rifles that still after shooting modern jacketed bullets turn up clumps of cupro nickle jacket material from back in the day. What you think is bright shiny bore in some cases is really metallic fouling. The plus is sometimes I think it has actually preserved the bore and rifling from not being entirely removed and for rifles stored in less than stellar conditions.

I would be interested to hear what sort of bore cleaner removes that orange-ish brown fouling you find in new Browning rifles.
    I understand its from proprietary powders used during proof but cannot remember where I read that information.
    All I know is its a pain in the butt to remove before firing a new rifle needing more than just a few quick swipes with a cleaning rod and some wet patches.
    At first glance it appears to be rust but its not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom