• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    I look at it as, it came out of a military armory, was properly cared for, and wasn't altered from military configuration. Works for me.

Q

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I think by definition all of the 1911's released by CMP are arsenal rebuilt/refinished (even the "special" ones like the Rem UMC that was featured in the American Rifleman article). At least they still exist and haven't been destroyed. For the price point and the apparent nice condition, they are a good deal I think. They really don't do anything for me either but if someone offered me a nice one like this for Mawkie pricing(TM), it would be hard to turn down.
    For those lucky folks that got one with all correct parts, I salute you :)

Ah crap, I should have been sharp enough to trademark that! Thank you for a good belly laugh my friend! :lol2:

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    is there a way to trace the history of the 1911's? Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA) or some other method? I see some of the rifles posted here with military information, are these documents readily available, or do you need to submit a FOIA request, or some other document?

Q

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    There is a book Springfield Research Service (there is a thread here somewhere with a member who will look things up for you).

Jul 1, 2012
    There is a book Springfield Research Service (there is a thread here somewhere with a member who will look things up for you).
    I believe that was Machodoc, who hasn't been on here in a long time.
    I don't think the SRS covers the -A1 but I could be wrong.
    There's just shy of 30k 1911's in the list out of 700,000 so the odds of finding one are slim.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    1943 Remington Rand, looks mostly correct. Obviously refinished but looks good.

Attachments

• 105_1488.jpg
      105_1488.jpg
      79.9 KB · Views: 416

intobaitem

Jul 31, 2010
    Eastern Shore, MD
    This is my 1917 Field Grade

I went with the field grade on the advice of the rep when I called in after I was picked. Am pretty pleased with what I got. Especially the age. I didn't want a refinished gun. To me, that reduced the originality. It has definitely seen use. Doesn't appear to have ever been re-armored/re-finished but I'm no expert. Has a number 4 in paint and stamped and all parts colt. By SN this was a run of 33,814 manufactured in 1917.

Attachments

• 20200801_104406[1].jpg
      20200801_104406[1].jpg
      90.1 KB · Views: 500
    Last edited:

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    I went with the field grade on the advice of the rep when I called in after I was picked. Am pretty pleased with what I got. Especially the age. I didn't want a refinished gun. To me, that reduced the originality. It has definitely seen use. Doesn't appear to have ever been re-armored/re-finished but I'm no expert. Has a number 4 in paint and stamped and all parts colt. By SN this was a run of 33,814 manufactured in 1917.
    My guess is it has some ww ii era rebuild parts in it. Look at the hammer, doesn't match. Probably has a arsenal rebuild barrel, hammer, grip safety, grips but that doesn't detract from the niceness at all.

intobaitem

Jul 31, 2010
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Slide release and trigger are darker like the hammer.

My guess is it has some ww ii era rebuild parts in it. Look at the hammer, doesn't match. Probably has a arsenal rebuild barrel, hammer, grip safety, grips but that doesn't detract from the niceness at all.

Funny how I didn't even see the hammer color. Slide release darker as well. Added some more pics. Any idea about the stampings?

Attachments

• 20200801_141300[1].jpg
      20200801_141300[1].jpg
      77.3 KB · Views: 485
    • 20200801_141038[1].jpg
      20200801_141038[1].jpg
      103.9 KB · Views: 488
    • 20200801_141231[1].jpg
      20200801_141231[1].jpg
      114.5 KB · Views: 477

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Funny how I didn't even see the hammer color. Slide release darker as well. Added some more pics. Any idea about the stampings?
    Mine (not CMP) is pretty much the same. I'm not a 1911 expert but I think the RIA is Rock island arsenal rebuild stamp. All those darker parts will likely be ww ii era arsenal rebuild parts. Most likely the barrel too.

Lots of them are like that, got some of the improved parts and those that wear out.

Nice pistol though and congrats.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

That does look good. I was wondering if a Field grade was more likely to be an older vintage than a Service grade.

Jul 1, 2012
    Mine (not CMP) is pretty much the same. I'm not a 1911 expert but I think the RIA is Rock island arsenal rebuild stamp. All those darker parts will likely be ww ii era arsenal rebuild parts. Most likely the barrel too.

Lots of them are like that, got some of the improved parts and those that wear out.

Nice pistol though and congrats.

You are correct :)
    The parkerized finish is a giveaway too that it has been rebuilt, all WW1 1911's were blued originally.
    The FK is the inspector initials at RIA, which also yields a time frame of this overhaul:
    "FK: Frank Krack was Assistant Foreman of the Inspection Division at Rock Island Arsenal from September 17, 1941 until he retired on July 19th, 1946. During that period all small arms inspected under his supervision would be stamped with his initials "FK" as well as those of the Rock Island Arsenal "RIA"."

intobaitem

Jul 31, 2010
    Eastern Shore, MD
    You are correct :)
    The parkerized finish is a giveaway too that it has been rebuilt, all WW1 1911's were blued originally.
    The FK is the inspector initials at RIA, which also yields a time frame of this overhaul:
    "FK: Frank Krack was Assistant Foreman of the Inspection Division at Rock Island Arsenal from September 17, 1941 until he retired on July 19th, 1946. During that period all small arms inspected under his supervision would be stamped with his initials "FK" as well as those of the Rock Island Arsenal "RIA"."

Awesome info. Thanks! Any idea about the stamp below the slide release above the mag release?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom