• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Right2Carry

Feb 27, 2009
    District 32
    I used to frequent guns shows, but since prices jumped up, I seldom go. If I do plan on going, I will do my homework and check on the best price for what I would like to purchase. Majority of the Dealers will not deviate from their "retail" price. So, I mainly go to see if I can pick up an old antique. So far, I have always found a better price on new models than the Dealers at the shows.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    I have found some decent deals at gun shows, but they are few and far between. My best luck has been at the Harrisburg show. I did walked out once with two Mossberg 500's and had only spent $320. They were beat up, but nothing I couldn't refinish.

Otherwise it's a freak-show of ******* dealers, Nazi "memorabilia" (most of which is band-new... :sad20: ), beef jerky, airsoft guns, shitty white trash "artwork", and cheap knives. Plus a good deal of the patrons... well let's just say if they're representative of our lifestyle I can see why some people think all gun owners are crazy.

If friends are going I sometimes tag along, but I no longer go of my own accord.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I don't expect much out of most gun shows. Most of the dealers are hawking the same stuff - and while I'm a serious pistol shooter, I have no interest in the Tupperware guns or low-end 1911s. Not to mention that I live in Deep Southern Maryland - and almost every dealer in a Maryland gun show is from Baltimore or its suburbs. Two hours driving each way. It's not worth it. It's cheaper to order off the Internet and pay the transfer fees locally.

I go for entertainment value. Pick up a few odds and ends. Stock up on magazines at a Virginia-based show.

FWIW, the Baltimore Antique Arms Show is a completely different matter. THAT show is worth going to. Just bring money - there have been years when I could easily have dropped $100K at that show.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    My expectations are pretty low and I enjoy the shows. I like being able to handle guns I may be interested in some day, get some general pricing ideas, and look at a bunch of stuff I'd wouldn't ordinarily be interested in.

The extra crap does't bother me, it's easy enough to walk past a table of beany babies. It would only bother me if I found out that a gun dealer was turned away because of the beanie babies.

Couple bucks to spend some time browsing hundreds of guns? Pure entertainment value for me. Also, it's a good source for Dick's Nutz!!!

UncleJim

Jun 25, 2008
    I get a chuckle when I see some of the same guns, show after show, that I first spotted at a show **years** ago. And still asking the same price!

pilotguy

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Woodstock, MD
    I am fortunate to be able to go to gun shows around the country due to my work travels, including the big one in Tulsa. I mostly go to find used or rare guns. What I have learned is that the bigger the show, the more the competition. Dealers at shows in Dallas, Tulsa, Atlanta, etc. will set up shop, and then send someone around to check other dealer prices and adjust theirs. It is common to see prices crossed out and a lower price written in. The gun shows around here just don't seem to have enough competition to warrant a dealer doing the same.

Of course the Tulsa show is the best...it is 11 acres of tables (over 4,000.)

Omega21

Nov 27, 2010
    Traveling MD

:thumbsup:+2

...shitty white trash "artwork",

:lol::thumbsup:

My expectations are pretty low and I enjoy the shows.

Couple bucks to spend some time browsing hundreds of guns? Pure entertainment value for me. Also, it's a good source for Dick's Nutz!!!

I agree completely! Set your expectations very low and you might be pleasantly surprized (I sold a WWI trench knife for more then I thought I would get at the last Timonium show).

Great thread!

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Are your's realistic?

PRICES:

I see lots of people complaining prices are too high. Please, what are you expectations?

Less than MSRP

As a base line you can buy many, many, many of the same non-firearm things at a Gun Show off the interweb thinggy for price $x + shipping. For new and used firearms you can buy for Bud's Gun Shop or Gunborker or, <name a place> and other sites for $y + shipping + transfer fees.

What makes a price acceptable or too high? What are your "metrics" for saying too high?

MSRP or higher

MERCHANDISE:

How much devoted guns vs accessories? What is an acceptable limit for non-firearms stuff (jerky, jewelry, tools, non-gun books, etc.)?

NONE

I ask so I have a frame of reference if someone say prices were "high", what they mean.

I have given up on gun shows. I do my research on the Internet and then I buy local.

I don't know about others, but at Timonium the table aisles are so close together there is no room to look and barely room to get by. Either get a bigger venue, or less vendors, and move all the non-gun junk to the rear or another building. There are no guns at the jewelry show so why jewelry at the gun show?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom