• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1gunrunner

Sep 28, 2013
    Hi,

I recently moved to MD and am not a current gun owner. I recently took the required safety class online and have my certificate. I am interested in a Springfield XD9, but with the law changing, there's not much out there. Any ideas where I could look in the next 2 days?
    Thanks,
    Jim

psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.
    Hi,

I recently moved to MD and am not a current gun owner. I recently took the required safety class online and have my certificate. I am interested in a Springfield XD9, but with the law changing, there's not much out there. Any ideas where I could look in the next 2 days?
    Thanks,
    Jim

There are two schools of thought here, the first is to get something regulated just to avoid the training requirements of the HQL or two wait until what you really want and go thru the BS of getting an HQL with training and live fire requirements . I personally would get a stripped AR lower figuring that it would save me more then having to get training plus I would have a lower I could build legally into a pre-ban configuration, or order a few NODAK spud AK receivers to do the same thing .

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    How can you get a regulated firearm in 2 days?

You will need an HQL to pick up any handgun purchased after Sept 22.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD

Not taking issue with that position you just stated, as I understand the nuances and have read the discussions here. But a number of dealers have assurred their customers they CAN get them without the HQL provided the purchase happened on or before Sept 30th. I have one friend expecting to receive a Colt 1911-22 today, in fact.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    They are INCORRECT.

MSP has put out a written directive that all handgun pickups after Oct 1 require an HQL.

Banned RIFLES purchased before Oct 1, can be picked up after Oct 1 without an HQL.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    They are INCORRECT.

MSP has put out a written directive that all handgun pickups after Oct 1 require an HQL.

Banned RIFLES purchased before Oct 1, can be picked up after Oct 1 without an HQL.

Wrong. The MSP told everyone "They" would not charge anyone if they purchased their handgun before the 1st. Gansler said it sounds OK to him. A judge is on record saying to do so would be good for 5yrs $10,000. Who do you trust?

Feb 28, 2013
    Obviously you can't.

Technically, by the law's wording, that may be true. But it has been stated that this will not be enforced.

They are INCORRECT.

And then somebody came along and realized they screwed up.

Not that it matters at this point. But this would have been enough to get the OP out of the training requirement.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I had not heard that MSP would not enforce the HQL requirement. I wish I knew, I would have purchased a few more. :)

You would only get out of the training requirement once the 77R clears. Which may still be a while.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    IANAL,but see below.

MSP FAQ

From the MSP FAQ page:

Q: Will I be required to possess an HQL by October 1, 2013, if I submitted a 77R prior to October 1 and have not yet received approval to retrieve my firearm due to the MSP backlog?

A: The Maryland State Police will not enforce the requirements of the new law with respect to applicants whose applications are pending as of October 1. In light of the number of currently pending applications, resulting from the unprecedented spike in new applications in recent months, it is a fair, reasoned, and appropriate result for those who are waiting for their pending purchase applications to be processed. Persons who submit purchase applications on or after October 1, 2013, unless otherwise
    exempted by law, will be required to apply for and obtain a handgun qualification license before attempting to purchase a handgun.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    They are INCORRECT.

Banned RIFLES purchased before Oct 1, can be picked up after Oct 1 without an HQL

Wrong. The MSP told everyone "They" would not charge anyone if they purchased their handgun before the 1st. Gansler said it sounds OK to him. A judge is on record saying to do so would be good for 5yrs $10,000. Who do you trust?

Where did they say that?

In writing?

IANAL,but see below.

MSP FAQ

From the MSP FAQ page:

Q: Will I be required to possess an HQL by October 1, 2013, if I submitted a 77R prior to October 1 and have not yet received approval to retrieve my firearm due to the MSP backlog?

A: The Maryland State Police will not enforce the requirements of the new law with respect to applicants whose applications are pending as of October 1. In light of the number of currently pending applications, resulting from the unprecedented spike in new applications in recent months, it is a fair, reasoned, and appropriate result for those who are waiting for their pending purchase applications to be processed. Persons who submit purchase applications on or after October 1, 2013, unless otherwise
    exempted by law, will be required to apply for and obtain a handgun qualification license before attempting to purchase a handgun.

Hey Pinecone...you have been proven correct! When my friend went to pick up his handgun on Oct 4th, the dealer gave him a copy of a letter from Gansler restating that an HQL is required. He has been offered a refund or if he desires, a class to initiate his HQL application. Frankly handling it this way, while annoying, is far superior to just handing over the handgun then having someone initiate charges.

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Funny, Gansler is saying one thing, the MSP page is saying something else.

I wonder the dates of the letters.

Not that Gansler can do much if the MSP will not cite any violations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom