• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oct 4, 2017
    Hey Everyone. I've heard some chatter about 80% kits for handguns and am curious as to the legislation that comes along with them. Do I still need a HQL, FFL or the lot? Need to be a registered? Thanks in advance.

~Sledgehammer45

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    hmmm... plenty of information on the web about 80% frames, both rifle and handgun.

visiting a purveyor of such things on the web will give you the answers you seek.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm going to start keeping track of how many new members with <5 posts start asking questions like this. They ALWAYS pop up Oct-Dec; just when the anti gun politicians in Analpolis start gearing up for the next year's gun grab plan.

Sledgehammer45- I mean no offense, but the sheer number of "newbies" asking questions like your's in Autumn is far from coincidental, considering 95% of these questions in a year come in the two months preceding MGA's legislative session. At least you didn't blatantly ask how to break or bend the law- which we DO NOT support on this forum.

VG-10

Oct 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    I'm going to start keeping track of how many new members with <5 posts start asking questions like this. They ALWAYS pop up Oct-Dec; just when the anti gun politicians in Analpolis start gearing up for the next year's gun grab plan.

Sledgehammer45- I mean no offense, but the sheer number of "newbies" asking questions like your's in Autumn is far from coincidental, considering 95% of these questions in a year come in the two months preceding MGA's legislative session. At least you didn't blatantly ask how to break or bend the law- which we DO NOT support on this forum.

Well the timing could be due partly to me. I met this guy and his fiance at Myrtle Grove. He asked me about my M1A. I offered to let him shoot it and we bs'd for a bit. I told him he should check out the board because there were a lot of great folks on MDS, and a wealth of info.

OP, I hope you understand and appriciate Squaregrouper's explanation. The concern in some cases, is not unwarranted.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Well the timing could be due partly to me. I met this guy and his fiance at Myrtle Grove. He asked me about my M1A. I offered to let him shoot it and we bs'd for a bit. I told him he should check out the board because there were a lot of great folks on MDS, and a wealth of info.

OP, I hope you understand and appriciate Squaregrouper's explanation. The concern in some cases, is not unwarranted.
    response much appreciated. Perhaps next time he should name drop you. We'll all rest a little easier.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Hey Everyone. I've heard some chatter about 80% kits for handguns and am curious as to the legislation that comes along with them. Do I still need a HQL, FFL or the lot? Need to be a registered? Thanks in advance.

~Sledgehammer45

80% kits are perfectly legal to buy. You must do the operations to complete it entirely on your own. You do not need an HQL to make your own firearm, nor do you need to register it. If you were to sell it, you would need to get it serialized and transfer through FFL or MSP.

response much appreciated. Perhaps next time he should name drop you. We'll all rest a little easier.

:thumbsup:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yeah . The other side would never troll / opposition research at a shooting range, or firearms related event .

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    From imfdb.org:
    Inspector Sledge Hammer (David Rasche) carries a Smith & Wesson Model 629 as his sidearm. The revolver is arguably the star of the show, as it gets the vast majority of the screen time during the opening credits. The plastic grips have the image of a sledge hammer on each side. Hammer talks to it sometimes, but when people catch him doing it, he always denies it. He also cooks with it, sleeps next to it and showers with it. For a guy who talks a big game and casually discharges his weapon for fun, however, Hammer never actually killed anyone using the gun on the show, most likely constrained by the standards of prime time network television. And for a guy who fires his gun so frequently, Hammer appears to carry few, if any, reloads.

S&W 629 - 44 Magnum
    500px-SH_SW629_01.jpg

Oct 4, 2017
    80% kits are perfectly legal to buy. You must do the operations to complete it entirely on your own. You do not need an HQL to make your own firearm, nor do you need to register it. If you were to sell it, you would need to get it serialized and transfer through FFL or MSP.

Thank you for actually answering my question. Appreciate the information.

Thank you for actually answering my question. Appreciate the information.

On behalf of this whole forum... Sorry dude.
    We suffer from MD Battered Gun Owner's Syndrome (BGOS) where anti-gun people repeatedly try to infiltrate MDShooters with the intent of getting us to offer illegal advice- giving more ammo (pun intended) for the anti 2nd Amendment politicians in MD.
    Your timing made us suspicious of your intentions. We "established members" need to sit back and realize we're chasing away our allies due to BGOS- and that is NOT a good thing.

I hope you take this thread with a grain of salt and stick around,
    Kyle/Squaregrouper

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011

~Sledgehammer45

Member since October 2017............

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom