Are manufacturers missing out on a home defense revolver market?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    The challenge with giving someone that can't rack a slide a pre-loaded semi with a big magazine is what does she do if she limp wrists the Glock (yes, it is possible to limp wrist a Glock, I've seen it) and gets a stovepipe? She is in big trouble.

I'm a 1911 guy, so I appreciate your respect of it, but remember that the 1911 with a stock mag only holds 7 rounds, one more than most 4" revolvers. Even today's 8 round 1911 magazines are matched by many 8 shot revolvers. Here is a great article on the viability of the 8 shot revolver as a home defense firearm: https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2015/11/23/eight-shot-alternatives-to-semi-autos/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smack the mag against a hard surface, rip the rear sight against a 90 degree angle (preferably the bad guys eye socket) and get back to business.
    Reload a 1911 then reload a revolver and tell me which one you'd rather do in the dark sweating and panicked.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Revolver manufacturers are not missing out on the home defense market. The ignorant and untrained are not promoting them. They love selling hollywood's "gats".

Burns me up to no end when at any box store gun retailer that the dope behind the counter has zero clue. Man and wife come in looking for a basic pistol for the house. I have yet to see them show a revolver to these couples. Revolvers aren't cool looking.

A GP100 four inch in .357, and a SP101 in .357 are some hella cool and manly looking revolvers. They will absolutely get the job done.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Smack the mag against a hard surface, rip the rear sight against a 90 degree angle (preferably the bad guys eye socket) and get back to business.
    Reload a 1911 then reload a revolver and tell me which one you'd rather do in the dark sweating and panicked.
    Yeah. Your mom can do that. You trained her?

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    My wife and I crossed this bridge a while back. She didn't like the long pull of the revolver, and although after learning technique could rack most slides, still wasn't comfortable with a simple glock solution. We solved it with a sig 938. She took (to my surprise) to the 1911 platform and found it intuitive to flick off the safety. She still didn't like the "big gun." The 938 has an easy to rack slide and is small enough to fit her hand. With pinky extension mags it holds 7+1 and she is comfortable shooting it. It has much less recoil than expected in such a small package and she is happy, which of course makes me happy and comfortable.

Revolvers are a great and unfortunately diminishing market segment due to them not looking "tactical." They do have drawbacks such as capacity that take training to overcome if reloads are necessary. Slapping a new mag in is easier than quickly reloading a revolver. For the majority of simple break ins that are likely to occur, one armed with a revolver will probably fare well. If they are comfortable with a revolver. If not, they have 5-6 shots to see how they fare, which is better than none.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County

Don't get me wrong, clearly, it is far easier to reload a semi. My primary SD gun is a Glock 23 with 14 round magazines (13 rounds and a Pearce extension). As others have said, something is better than nothing. My wife lacks the hand strength to rack most semis (I have a bunch of them, so she has tried). Her gun is a seven round revolver that shoots 32 S&W Long SJHP. At 10 yards, she can empty it in the 8 ring or better. That's good enough for me to have peace of mind.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    If the ladies in my house want a revolver and shoot it accurately, who am I to blow against the wind? I think revolvers are easier to clean and maintain, personally. No killing your thumb on the slide release, no spring to fly across the room, no slide to rack, and no failures to feed. If I want to be a tacticool operator, I get a Glock-brand-Glock. The ladies do not want tacticool, they like purdy guns.

I think revolvers are spendy because they have become something of a status symbol. Take an 8-shot Taurus .357 to the range, people are like "geez you could not afford the real thing." You definitely do not want to pull the Taurus out of the Coach purse.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Why is it the revolver is reloaded in the dark and panicked yet in the dark and panicked is not mentioned finding the 90 degree corner that has to groped, reached or moved to? Never ending debate yet some are intolerant...

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    If the ladies in my house want a revolver and shoot it accurately, who am I to blow against the wind? I think revolvers are easier to clean and maintain, personally. No killing your thumb on the slide release, no spring to fly across the room, no slide to rack, and no failures to feed. If I want to be a tacticool operator, I get a Glock-brand-Glock. The ladies do not want tacticool, they like purdy guns.

I think revolvers are spendy because they have become something of a status symbol. Take an 8-shot Taurus .357 to the range, people are like "geez you could not afford the real thing." You definitely do not want to pull the Taurus out of the Coach purse.

Revolvers are expensive because of the increased material and machining costs. All metal costs more than polymer.

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Why is it the revolver is reloaded in the dark and panicked yet in the dark and panicked is not mentioned finding the 90 degree corner that has to groped, reached or moved to? Never ending debate yet some are intolerant...

Cause the Glock has a flashlight on it?

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    That is why I think less revolvers are sold...especially used. Compare new or used Glock, M&P, etc with a medium or medium large frame DA revolver. One is looking at 30% to 50% greater cost. Manufacturing materisls, energies and market share are all a part of that equation.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    Revolvers suck. They've been outclassed since the 1911 hit the market.
    Now are there people that may want a revolver for HD? Sure but they're for the vast majority uneducated and undertrained.

I like revolvers and often carry a .357 S&W. my wife has a .38 in the drawer next to her bed she can hit a plate in the center at 15 yards. Maybe I should turn in my NRA credentials.

Oh and there's a 12 gauge in the bedroom to fight our way to it.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    If anyone really thinks a 9-shot .22 revolver is ineffective for self defense, I will make the same offer I make everyone. PM me I will send you my address. You can break in an I will stand back and let my kid shoot you in the face a few times with her .22 revolver while you advance. She is a good shot with it, by the way, no recoil. Let me know if you want to keep going. If you get past the whole cylinder, I have some cool guns you can win. Let me know if there are any takers.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Not being able to work the slide on a handgun is purely due to training and confidence....especially for an adult.
    If 8 year old kids can run semiautos in competition, a full grown female should have no problem.
    I believe arthritis and other hand problems relating to grip take more than confidence to overcome. Maybe learning a whole other technique, or a big hook on the back of the slide...but who wants to go through all of that?

Now are there people that may want a revolver for HD? Sure but they're for the vast majority uneducated and undertrained.
    Exactly! We're talking about a girlfriend (I thought...or maybe old ladies...I don't remember). This isn't for "operators" or competitive shooters.

I like revolvers and often carry a .357 S&W. my wife has a .38 in the drawer next to her bed she can hit a plate in the center at 15 yards. Maybe I should turn in my NRA credentials.

Oh and there's a 12 gauge in the bedroom to fight our way to it.
    That's ^^^^ how you reload the revolver in the dark ;)

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Don't get me wrong, clearly, it is far easier to reload a semi. My primary SD gun is a Glock 23 with 14 round magazines (13 rounds and a Pearce extension). As others have said, something is better than nothing. My wife lacks the hand strength to rack most semis (I have a bunch of them, so she has tried). Her gun is a seven round revolver that shoots 32 S&W Long SJHP. At 10 yards, she can empty it in the 8 ring or better. That's good enough for me to have peace of mind.

I taught a woman who couldn't rack a slide in the conventional way. So I taught her this method. Grab the slide in her left hand, using her entire hand. Bring the gun close to her body. The using her right hand, push the frame forward, almost like she's trying to saw a piece of wood. Some woman can't pull back with their left hand hard enough to rack the slide because they don't have the hand strength, but they can hold the slide while the handgun moves forward with the right hand.

You'd be surprised how easily they can rack the slide with this technique.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom