• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    If the plan goes forward that was presented on the HoCo website, there are going to be some majorly pi$$ed off people just north of Rt100 around Rockburn. They are going to be moved to the Long Reach high school instead of Howard High. Those are some pretty nice houses and neighborhoods that are going to be moving to the "slum" of Columbia.

Unfortunately for me, we will always be in the Long Reach HS area. We knew this when we bought our house and plan to move before our son hits middle school.

Yeah, but the "slum" of Columbia is still better than most of the state. It just isn't the best offering in Howard County.

I honestly cannot believe how far my high school has fallen in 28 years. The test scores, etc. are abysmal and where I was initially supposed to go to high school, Albert Einstein in Kensington, the scores are even worse.

When my daughter was born, my wife and I had the motto of, "We are moving into a tool shed in the best school district possible within 5 years." My parents moved us the summer before I was to start high school, and I know it wasn't a financially easy thing for them to do.

I just looked at Long Reach on Great Schools. Looked at Howard too. My wife would not consider Howard High School when we were looking 6+ yeas ago. Anything below an 8 was unthinkable to her and even an 8 was questionable. For me, I wanted to be west of 32 both because because of the schools, the green open areas, and less traffic. Figured we could find something that was good for our kids all the way around. Then, my wife fell in love with a certain neighborhood and we put offers on 3 foreclosures in the neighborhood. However, we spent 3 years looking.

My parents spent several years looking and then by some miracle came across something they could afford with owner financing. Albeit, the owner wanted a decent amount of interest on the note, but they signed on it.

If you are planning on moving before your son hits middle school, start looking right now and buy whatever you can afford in the best school district possible. Bargains pop up every now and then, but if you aren't looking you will never find them. If you are currently looking, disregard everything I just wrote in this paragraph.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    fabsroman - Very much appreciate the advice. My son is only 1 and we are lucky that he will go to Waterloo for elementary school unless there is a change. We are on a five year moving plan right now which will still give us plenty of time.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    If the plan goes forward that was presented on the HoCo website, there are going to be some majorly pi$$ed off people just north of Rt100 around Rockburn. They are going to be moved to the Long Reach high school instead of Howard High. Those are some pretty nice houses and neighborhoods that are going to be moving to the "slum" of Columbia.

Unfortunately for me, we will always be in the Long Reach HS area. We knew this when we bought our house and plan to move before our son hits middle school.

Doubt it will go through like this. They'll revise it a few times. A few years ago they used a lot of letters of the alphabet before they got the the final redistricting plan. :popcorn:

And then because this year's plan is inadequate, we will go through the process again next year, and thereafter.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Those are not the only "community police" substations. There's one on Owen Brown, and one in Ellicot City too.

The perennial question in Howard County- If the kids in Clarksville buy their drugs from the kids in Oakland Mills, where do you put the community police substation. :lol2:

Must have added more since I moved. Buy yea, Owen Brown fits right along with OM, WL, and LR. And since I went to OM I speak with personal knowledge on the subject.

Probably put the police station where the break-ins and robberies are occurring, which is what they did.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    New proposal listed on August 8. Looks like the Atholton parents are plenty p*ssed off. The AAC Draft is substantially different than the Feasibility Plan for the Atholton district.

See: http://www.hcpss.org/school-planning/aac-process/

The current attendance is there - 2017-2018.
    The Feasibility Plan was produced by someone - the board?
    The AAC Draft is the counter-plan.

Personally, I prefer the current or the Feasibility plan since my youngest daughter will stay at Reservoir. Under the AAC Plan, she will go to Atholton for junior/senior HS - pretty f*ed-up if you ask me for no educational benefit and lots of disruption to her social network.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Reservoir just lost their principal to promotion. He is a very good guy.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    New proposal listed on August 8. Looks like the Atholton parents are plenty p*ssed off. The AAC Draft is substantially different than the Feasibility Plan for the Atholton district.

See: http://www.hcpss.org/school-planning/aac-process/

The current attendance is there - 2017-2018.
    The Feasibility Plan was produced by someone - the board?
    The AAC Draft is the counter-plan.

Personally, I prefer the current or the Feasibility plan since my youngest daughter will stay at Reservoir. Under the AAC Plan, she will go to Atholton for junior/senior HS - pretty f*ed-up if you ask me for no educational benefit and lots of disruption to her social network.

Lots of parents are pissed off. I have a friend that lives literally less than a mile from Mount View and Marriots' Ridge, and her kids will be going to Glenwood and Glenelg. She can hear the Marriot's Ridge marching band at her house during football games and practice. That is how close she lives to the school.

What I really want to know is how the county allows 1,500 units to be built in Turf Valley and another crap ton on the Carroll Farm, and a new elementary school is not slated to be built in that area until 2029, which is 15 years after development started on Turf Valley. My kids are not affected much by this, other than getting a bunch of new kids in the school and the school being overcrowded now, and I have steam coming out of my ears. Cannot imagine how my friend feels living across from a high school and her kids having to go to a different high school.

If you ask me, the county government has dropped the ball, and not just now, but over the long term and for years in the past. Howard County is becoming the new Montgomery County. Unadulterated growth for the sake of growth and tax revenue, without proper planning for infrastructure. Somebody is going to pay for this in the long run.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Atholton moving from 8% FARM to 27%.... That shouldnt effect property values.... Wow. People I know near dunloggin are PISSED that their neighborhoods are being split up centennial/ wild lake. With the heavy organization that has emerged from private hcpss facebook groups this past year (lead LARGELY by SJWs) this year should be quite the shitshow

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Our community association Book of Faces page blew up today. Feasibility plan keeps the kids at Howard HS, AAC shifts them to Thug Reach HS.

I don't have a dog in the fight except property values but it was fun arguing with some dipshit liberal woman who thinks that since her niece went to Thug Reach and has a double doctorate in navel contemplation that we all should embrace the suck. The neighbors were torching her.....

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I really despise the social engineering. School attendance should be 100% geography related. Moving boundaries to include a certain skin color is no different from moving boundaries to exclude a certain skin color. If Centennial is mostly Asian, Glenelg is mostky white, and Long Reach is mostly black, so what? If the school board says in effect more blacks at atholton will make it better then they are also saying more whites at Wilde lake will make it better. That's completely racist. It's no different than putting racial quotas on housing.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

Attachments

• download.jpg
      download.jpg
      70 KB · Views: 225

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    https://www.hiruyhadgu.com/news/2017-8-8-proposed-school-redistricting-on-economic-integration
    Wow, check oakland mills. Why kick that school MORE FARMS kids? Atholton and oakland communities should be pretty pissed about this.

Why does the county want to segregate students by their income level?
    They must have a preconceived notion about the ability of poorer children. I wonder if they cross-categorize them so a poor Asian has a higher trade value than a poor white?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Here we go. Plan A,B,C,D,E... they keep changing the plan. Who knows what they will really approve. Welcome to the redistricting lottery.

Looks like my polygon is redistricted now. (same as it ever was, last minute they always pull the change to our polygon).

The problem is that due to complaints, they will only end up with a small share of the redistricting that they really need to do. Too many people in the east, not enough in the west. Low income in the east, limousine liberals in the west. Liberals love diversity until it comes to their neighborhood. Hey, I paid a lot of money for my house to avoid the those poor people!

Pretty sure that the fix is in and these alternative plans are all smoke and mirrors to give residents the illusion of input. A certain amount of redistricting has to happen, and no matter how the board does it people will be unhappy.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    https://www.hiruyhadgu.com/news/2017-8-8-proposed-school-redistricting-on-economic-integration
    Wow, check oakland mills. Why kick that school MORE FARMS kids? Atholton and oakland communities should be pretty pissed about this.

That does not seem right, Atholton is no longer getting a chunk from Hammond on the new map, they are getting a small sliver from Reservoir.
    When I look at the new map for HS:
    http://www.hcpss.org/f/schoolplanning/aac/hs-draft-scenario-map.pdf

River hill is getting a chunk from Wild Lake at the west end of Patuxent Pkwy and it should jump up

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    This whole thing is rediculous. It's obvious that democrats are responsible for this in HoCo as the school attendance maps are worse than the gerrymandered voting districts. I'm waiting for a former democratic governor to come out and admit that school districting was done to oppress minorities but it won't make the news nor will anyone do anything but blame the current republican mayor for the problems.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    That does not seem right, Atholton is no longer getting a chunk from Hammond on the new map, they are getting a small sliver from Reservoir.
    When I look at the new map for HS:
    http://www.hcpss.org/f/schoolplanning/aac/hs-draft-scenario-map.pdf

River hill is getting a chunk from Wild Lake at the west end of Patuxent Pkwy and it should jump up

I think the table Smokey posted is not the numbers under the AAC, or at least that's how I interpret it.

Yes, redistricting must happen, but why not identify raising 9th graders who don't have a sibling in HS yet. Then redistrict them to another HS. Would make bus routes confusing at first, but at least students already in HS would not be disrupted.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom