What guns would you take on an expedition to Alaska?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Well if we're going with the reasoning of post #177, the Canadian Rangers used SMLE's.

( Canadian Rangers are paramilitary militia of indians and bush dwellers generally who patrol Yukon, NW Terr, Invut, and in wartime would serve as scouts and guides for Canadian Mil .)

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Must be a regional thing. Your northern accent must already be a mark against you...better to keep the pie hole shut. :thumbsup:

No one notices. I don't think I have an "accent," just the absence of a southern accent. There are PLENTY of transplants here. Neighbors to the left are from colorado. Across the street from oregon. My son's fall baseball coach is from michigan. Met plenty of new yorkers and Californians down here too...

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    10/22 for small game and side arm capable to take down a grizzly. Knife ,Snares fire-starter and water filtration. Harvesting larger game for survival might cause waste or overload pack. Lighter pack means further you can travel before you start losing strength

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It is a fairly blatent "tribute" of Wild West Guns's Co-Pilot conversions .

But yes, it is a good concept, and if the Chiappa ripoff is acceptable quality, it should be successful.

The larger underlying question - It would be better in .44 or.45Colt , than .357 .( Same thing for non-takedown small frame leverguns.)

callidus

May 21, 2013
    Maryland
    Depends on how long I'm out in the woods - size and weight can all add up pretty fast with weapons alone - let alone your other survival gear. Especially for those of us (like me) who aren't in the condition they used to be.

Depending on the use, I'd pick one of: 10MM Glock or Smith .460 for the pistols, and/or a Marlin .45-70 or Ruger 10-22 for rifles. I'd *maybe* consider an ultralight AR, just depending on what I expect to encounter. Probably not, for most purposes.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Here's the premise:

This is just for fun...

Over the past few years there has been a growing number of 'survival' shows; many of them focused on individuals and small groups orienteering and surviving. Shows like: Dual Survival, Man vs. Wild, Get out Alive, Running Wild, Naked and Afraid, Man Woman Wild, Fat Guys in the Woods, Survive the Tribe, and Survivorman.

I trace the origin of all these survival TV shows to 1994 England. A British survival instructor named Ray Mears created several series for the BBC, such as Tracks, Extreme Survival, and World of Survival. He was more of an instructor than showman.

The question I pose to you, good reader of MDShooters; inspired by the concept of surviving in rural Alaska - which gun(s) would you take to harvest food, and protect yourself from predators (both four legged and two)? Sharing your rationale is half the fun; why did you chose each gun and caliber? What features, i.e. - light weight, range, accuracy, capacity, reliability, maintenance, simplicity most influenced your choices?

Not limiting number of guns, but remember in this expedition you will have to travel long distances over very rough terrain; this is not a set up base camp scenario. The show most like what I'm posing is Ultimate Survival Alaska. If you have never seen the show here's the critical bits to know, from the show:

One of the toughest competitions in the world is back for round three as 12 of the world's toughest outdoorsmen face off against each other, Mother Nature, and their own will to survive. This fight to the finish isn't about money or a prize; it's about pushing the limits of human endurance. It's a dangerous test of strength and determination. And in the end, only one team will be crowned the winner. Four teams—Military, Endurance, Alaskans, and this season's new team, Lower 48—face peaks, deadly tidal waves, massive glaciers, bottomless crevasses, man-eating predators and treacherous white water. In each of the 13 legs this season, teams have just 60 hours to make it from start to finish … surviving off the land with only the gear on their backs. No GPS. No phones. No mercy.

Enough background. Alaska is big, what would you pack?

ASA_usa_alaska.jpg

JMD2004

Aug 9, 2017
    Lexington Park
    15-22 - for small game and crazy accuracy....big bore rifle for large game...and of course a big bore handgun for defense..the 454 sounds good..but think a 357 magnum would suffice...bear spray and someone with a 12 gauge as well ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom