• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    You're just luring me in more and more man...

Perfect! Ok I just wanted to make sure I could keep a few different sets of powder for general factory ball loads, older style powder for lower pressures, and a few odds and ends for consistent rifle cartridges.

Welp, poop. Was looking at RCBS, but this would make it easy.

Casting is definitely on my list for sure. Considered getting into percussion revolvers a while back and casting was definitely part of what interested me. Right now I just want to get comfortable with doing the job right with off the shelf parts.

The only thing that's holding me back about the progressive is the space. Once you get the progressive features rolling it's just more and more accessories that get attached and need mounting and I don't have the space for a dedicated reloading bench at the moment. Dillon's are at the top of the list for progressives though. Priced fairly decently, and seem to be the most reliable of the bunch with amazing customer service to boot. Right now mastering a method, mindset and getting a good range of dies comes first, the fancy toys come later ;)
    Space? Wait till you see my setup. It's smaller than you think.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Since we have plans for this week, I'll give you the run down on reloading, when I see you. I'll show you how a Dillon progressive works too. Just a hint, it can do single stage and progressive operations...

Sounds like a date.

The only thing that's holding me back about the progressive is the space. Once you get the progressive features rolling it's just more and more accessories that get attached and need mounting and I don't have the space for a dedicated reloading bench at the moment. Dillon's are at the top of the list for progressives though. Priced fairly decently, and seem to be the most reliable of the bunch with amazing customer service to boot. Right now mastering a method, mindset and getting a good range of dies comes first, the fancy toys come later ;)

Do you not have a work bench?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Once you get the progressive features rolling it's just more and more accessories that get attached and need mounting and I don't have the space for a dedicated reloading bench at the moment. Dillon's are at the top of the list for progressives though. Priced fairly decently, and seem to be the most reliable of the bunch with amazing customer service to boot. Right now mastering a method, mindset and getting a good range of dies comes first, the fancy toys come later ;)

You don't need a ton of space. You don't HAVE to load up on accessories. The footprint is only slightly larger than a single stage. Most of the accessories actually go UP, so unless you have 5' ceilings it still is not a problem. Here's mine. Fully functional as it sits.

CE8D99DF-AB74-408B-96BB-80FFC57095C0_zpstcepudvh.jpg

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Watch the video in the Dillon sticky thread, that is located in the 3rd post. That bench has been reorganized and has boxes on the lower shelves that are full of bullets. The bench really isn't that big. It is about the width of a lazy boy recliner.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Watch the video in the Dillon sticky thread, that is located in the 3rd post. That bench has been reorganized and has boxes on the lower shelves that are full of bullets. The bench really isn't that big. It is about the width of a lazy boy recliner.

You're going to spoil that man! :o

Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    Sounds like a date

Jelly?

Do you not have a work bench?

I do, but it's a garage setup that I was discussing earlier. I keep one of them clear for general household projects and the other is dedicated to car stuff. As it's in the garage it tends to accumulate project grime as car stuff tends to flock over there when I need an overflow space for something. I just don't want to lock up my 'universal' work bench for reloading, plus it's going to be put through whatever humidity that goes on that day and I think it's probably not good for the press or dies. Also, I don't want and powder spilling in the garage or getting any car fluids on reloading stuff. Again I'm OCD about things and they have their place. Right now I just don't have a place that I can setup a work bench that's not the living room, bed room, spare room or in the center of my basement. I'm doing my best to be 'responsibly' out of control in this hobby, not let it take over my living situation ;) Trust me though, I considered setting it up next to my desk as I could just spin my chair and work on brass while listening to some old vinyls.

You do not know how deep that rabbit hole goes ...

It is a fun ride but the hole is pretty deep.

Hobbies of mine tend to be rabbit holes. They all intersect one way or another somehow and that's how I got here. Cars, cameras, computers, guns, DIY electronics, machining... Yeah I'll stop...

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    I do, but it's a garage setup that I was discussing earlier. I keep one of them clear for general household projects and the other is dedicated to car stuff. As it's in the garage it tends to accumulate project grime as car stuff tends to flock over there when I need an overflow space for something. I just don't want to lock up my 'universal' work bench for reloading, plus it's going to be put through whatever humidity that goes on that day and I think it's probably not good for the press or dies. Also, I don't want and powder spilling in the garage or getting any car fluids on reloading stuff. Again I'm OCD about things and they have their place. Right now I just don't have a place that I can setup a work bench that's not the living room, bed room, spare room or in the center of my basement. I'm doing my best to be 'responsibly' out of control in this hobby, not let it take over my living situation ;) Trust me though, I considered setting it up next to my desk as I could just spin my chair and work on brass while listening to some old vinyls.

I ran out of bench space so I mounted my presses on a wheeled cart that I roll out of the way when I'm using the area for other work. The cart turned out to be incredibly stable with no flex at all. The stacked 2x8's was a quick and easy way to get some height on the presses. I found that working parallel to a bench is a nice touch too. A little swivel with the chair and everything is right there.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=4376316#post4376316

Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    He didn't have to do much to sink the hook. I've been eyeing Dillon's for years. Just did a cost analysis of going with an RCBS Rockchucker kit, digital scale (not dispenser), digital calipers, and brass trimming tools vs. a Dillon 550B bundle and so far I'm coming out the same in price. I still think I should have a single stage or a turret in the mix, but it doesn't make much sense to skip out on the Dillon when it's priced similar with more features. I'm going to give it some time to sink in so I don't just jump on it as I'll be traveling a bunch next month. Gives me plenty of time to read.

psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.
    When are you coming back to load up your 308's?

Talk about time flying. I was having a hard enough time getting a good time to sync up when I was 20 minutes away from you. Now add another 2 hours to that and I do not know. Depending on plans Saturday night I might show up with a pound of powder and some 168 SMK's to do some load development . A little lithium on Sirius and some quality time with big blue, sounds like just what I need.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Talk about time flying. I was having a hard enough time getting a good time to sync up when I was 20 minutes away from you. Now add another 2 hours to that and I do not know. Depending on plans Saturday night I might show up with a pound of powder and some 168 SMK's to do some load development . A little lithium on Sirius and some quality time with big blue, sounds like just what I need.
    You know the door is always open. Just let me know when you are thinking about dropping by. I'll probably fire up the grill too.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Check Craigslist for used Dillon reloading stuff. I picked up a barely used 550 with three caliber conversions and a ton of extras for $325. I sold the dies and conversion kits I didn't need for $125, and picked up the missing parts for $25. All told, it cost me $500 for the press and two other caliber conversions, plus spare parts kit and extra primer tubes. This is on top of the gear I already have. Get a single stage press regardless of what mass production press you get. Converting big caliber brass into something else is easier on a big single stage press.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Is there a reason to go with a bare single over a turret?

Single stage is beefier. And some turrets choke on longer cartridges. And before someone chimes in, I do have issues seating bullets in 30-06 length cartridges in my Lee turret press. If you ever get into magnums, you'll be glad you got the single stage.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    My suggestion, for what it's worth, is to start out with a single stage press. Learn to reload safely. Then upgrade down the road when you have the process down and know more from personal experience.

As you learn, you'll become more certain about the things you think are worth investing in to save time / effort while maximizing what you want to get out of your reloads (volume or accuracy?). There's lots of choices on where to spend your money to speed the process up, and I chose to invest more in the case prep and powder charging than in the press (things like an automated annealer, case prep tools, automated charge dispensers, drill press, ...but that's just me. Everyone is a bit different.

If/when you decide to upgrade from a single stage press to either a turret or progressive, you'll always have a use for the single stage press...it won't go to waste.

I still use my turret press essentially as a single stage press, I just like the ability to rotate the turret to my next die when I'm ready to move to the next step in process...but I could just as easily get bushings for my dies to easily swap out on a single stage press.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom