• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    It stinks. I know, no surprise, being a (very) low-end manufacturer, but it is still annoying.

I bought this scope to put on my 700 for Ed Shell's class:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JJCHBG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I did so for obvious reasons...I didn't have the funds for anything better (I had planned to sell my AR-10 to finance this project, but just couldn't bring myself to do it). In my opinion, it performed reasonably well for the class. The targets were a little blurry, and the paralax didn't associate well with the markings, but I hit targets to 1205 yards, and the scope adjustments were predictable...once we figured them out. So overall I was happy...it exceeded my expectations.

The reason I called Barska Customer Service, is that this scope has 1/8 MOA adjustments, and is marked so on the elevation turret (windage is 1/4 MOA, but that's fine....I guess). However, the markings on the elevation turret itself are in 1/4 MOA. So you have to double the numbers shown to get the actual adjustment. "No big deal" I think, I'll just get Barska to send out a turret with the correct markings.

So I called on Tuesday and left a message for Customer Service, telling them that I needed help with a scope. No call back. I call again today, and spoke with a fine young lady, who obviously had days of product knowledge at her disposal. I knew I was in good hands. I tell her the situation: Scope works fine, but the turret is marked incorrectly. The rest of the convo is as follows:

Her: Sometimes the scope comes loose and can cause problems. You might want to tighten it.
    Me: No, the scope performs fine, it's just marked wrong.
    H: ????
    M: It is in 1/8 adjustments, but has markings for 1/4. I need a turret with 1/8 markings.
    H: When did you buy it?
    M: About two months ago.
    H: I have the part here. We don't pay for shipping after about the first month after purchase, so that'll be $12.
    M: Even though it was your mistake?
    H: Yeaaaahhhhh.
    M: Well, if I'm paying for it, I want to make sure it's the correct part.
    H: Oh it is, I got it from the part number you gave me.
    M: See, that's just it...the part on the part number I gave you is wrong. I don't want another wrong part.
    H: ???
    M: Tell me what the markings are on the turret.
    H: Number, then three marks until the next number.
    M: That's what I already have, which is wrong. Do you have one with 1/8 markings?
    H: Let me ask Design, hold please...
    H: The design department says that that is the was it is designed, so we don't have a different part for it.
    M: That makes no sense...can I talk to someone in Design?
    H: Well, they're like in the warehouse, and like....no.
    M: Super. Well this has been enlightening.
    H: Yeah.....sorry about that. Bye.

So, I guess I'll either re-mark this thing myself, or just do math until I can get what I actually wanted in the first place.

So I know there's not much info to gather from this post....crappy scope manufacturer has faulty scope and crappy customer service. But, I feel better venting. Caveat Emptor.

enya60h

Dec 10, 2011
    Scope

If you ajust it right what's the problem I have 6 of then and a night force and no problem with any of them

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    If you ajust it right what's the problem I have 6 of then and a night force and no problem with any of them

Shims. I hate them. It is archaic, and time consuming. I also don't like to yellow tinge in the glass. I'll be posting mine in classifieds this weekend, stay tuned. 6-24 PST.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Working scope turrets get used for corrections. Its not set and forget unless you use it at short ranges.

^^^ This. Think of it this way. We sighted in for our Wy Precision Steel Match in Colorado two weekends ago. When we arrived in Wy, 3 hours North, we had to adjust our zero and zero stops several mills depending on what rifle and cartridge we were using. Luckily nobody used a shim zero stop system. We had a 15 minute window to confirm zero and make final adjustments. Changing that shit on a shooting mat in the wind is a suckfest. :mad54:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom