• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    So jumping from the RPR in 5.56, I recently bumped into the Larue Ultimate AR15 upper kit for less than $800. It looks like all I need it’s a strip lower as this kit comes with the LPK.

I read about the stealth barrel being the most accurate and according to their customer service, it’s a heavy barrel but just not listed on the site yet. (More lean toward the 18”, or if you suggest the 20” with a reason :)

To me it’s a pretty sweet deal, any members here has any input to share would definitely appreciated.

If you have something else that in the same price range, please share.

My ultimate gold is a kind of SPR/DMR wanna be kind of Rifle.

I will top it off with a Vortex VIPER and a GEN1 Black PRS stock btw.

The FDE looks pretty cool ($99 more)
    https://www.larue.com/products/larue-ultimate-ar-15-upper-kit/

TIA

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    They are good kits but inspect them well.

If you plan on using another Gas Block and not the one included, you will need a new Gas Tube because you are not getting the Gas Tibe out of the Gas Block without damage. It's pressed inlike KAC Gas Tubes.

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    They are good kits but inspect them well.

If you plan on using another Gas Block and not the one included, you will need a new Gas Tube because you are not getting the Gas Tibe out of the Gas Block without damage. It's pressed inlike KAC Gas Tubes.

I wouldn’t think I will use another gas block as of yet but it seems like you have some experience with it. How’s the accuracy on this thing?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I wouldn’t think I will use another gas block as of yet but it seems like you have some experience with it. How’s the accuracy on this thing?

Accuracy is great if you assemble it properly. LaRue makes great stuff.

Bad things can slip through. This Firing Pin came from a LaRue Kit.

Attachments

• IMG_20180107_145642_817.jpg
      IMG_20180107_145642_817.jpg
      74.6 KB · Views: 849

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I have the 18" Stealth barrel in one of my uppers. Came with a bolt head, but they forgot to degauss it after the MPI/HPT test - not a deal-breaker by any means though. I already had a specific BCG/Bolt in mind, so I kept that as a back-up, but gave it away for someone else's build.

Accuracy? With 55gr FMJ, it shoots about the same as any other mid to higher end barrel from 100 to 300 yards, bulk ammo and the shooter are going to be the weak part. Where it really comes to life, is when feeding it Mk262 Mod 0/Mod 1 ammo (77gr BTHP). It'll do tight clusters at 100, but with the Mk262, where you really see a difference is from 200 to 500+ yards - round bucks the wind better and you can make more consistent shots.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Wow. Was it resolved via customer service? Does your shop carry this kit? How was the accuracy with factory ammos like American eagles or Pmc bronze .... etc?

I don't stock the kits but you can send me a kit you purchased to gauge out and inspect. I can also build it for you as you observe, or I can offer a build class where you build the kit and I instruct.

LaRues Customer Service is great. The owner of the kit in the picture was taking a build class so the gun had to be completed without delay. I gave the student a firing pin and now the bad one is in my box of shame that gets passed around in my Armorers Classes.

Accuracy is as Bradmacc82 mentions. They will do MOA and if they don't LaRue will remedy that, BUT you need to use good ammo to see the guns potential for accuracy.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    While I think the stealth is barely on the HBAR side of the fence, I suggest reading Larue's description on their website and interpreting it for yourself.

What's to stop someone from buying barrels, professionally engraving HBAR on them, and ....?

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    I have the 18" Stealth barrel in one of my uppers. Came with a bolt head, but they forgot to degauss it after the MPI/HPT test - not a deal-breaker by any means though. I already had a specific BCG/Bolt in mind, so I kept that as a back-up, but gave it away for someone else's build.

Accuracy? With 55gr FMJ, it shoots about the same as any other mid to higher end barrel from 100 to 300 yards, bulk ammo and the shooter are going to be the weak part. Where it really comes to life, is when feeding it Mk262 Mod 0/Mod 1 ammo (77gr BTHP). It'll do tight clusters at 100, but with the Mk262, where you really see a difference is from 200 to 500+ yards - round bucks the wind better and you can make more consistent shots.

So the more and more I hear is that their quality control is not that great but over pretty decent stuffs. Would you say close to 1MOA at 100 with factory bulk ammo?

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    I don't stock the kits but you can send me a kit you purchased to gauge out and inspect. I can also build it for you as you observe, or I can offer a build class where you build the kit and I instruct.

LaRues Customer Service is great. The owner of the kit in the picture was taking a build class so the gun had to be completed without delay. I gave the student a firing pin and now the bad one is in my box of shame that gets passed around in my Armorers Classes.

Accuracy is as Bradmacc82 mentions. They will do MOA and if they don't LaRue will remedy that, BUT you need to use good ammo to see the guns potential for accuracy.

Got you, at least you got something to pass around in the class or filling up your box of shame lol

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    So the more and more I hear is that their quality control is not that great but over pretty decent stuffs. Would you say close to 1MOA at 100 with factory bulk ammo?

Depends on the ammo. Standard 55gr FMJ, it'll do respectably if the shooter is doing their job (MOA is doable, but occasional flyer). Factory 69gr Match, it does well with (Better than MOA). 75gr and 77gr BTHP's really show their potential at longer ranges (200 - 500+, MOA or better).

When it comes to Mark's barrels, typically the QC is on point and you don't have to worry about getting a dud - it's the little stuff, firing pins, bolt heads, etc. that can occasionally have an issue as they are out-sourced and not produced in-house. Same can said for a host of manufacturers.

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    Depends on the ammo. Standard 55gr FMJ, it'll do respectably if the shooter is doing their job (MOA is doable, but occasional flyer). Factory 69gr Match, it does well with (Better than MOA). 75gr and 77gr BTHP's really show their potential at longer ranges (200 - 500+, MOA or better).

When it comes to Mark's barrels, typically the QC is on point and you don't have to worry about getting a dud - it's the little stuff, firing pins, bolt heads, etc. that can occasionally have an issue as they are out-sourced and not produced in-house. Same can said for a host of manufacturers.

Got you, thx

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    what is that thing with the pistol grip and FCG, is it just a "holder" for the parts?

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    It's a plastic "lower" that they have your trigger assembly and grip installed. I have one around and will practice dry firing the trigger and being amazed how nice they are. After you purchase the ultimate upper kit you can then go and buy a LaRue lower for it. You have to have the upper order number. You can't just buy a lower by itself. As stated by Clandestine the kits are nice. If you have a problem they will resolve it quickly and at no charge to you. Every time I've called I have always had great customer service and spoke to a real human right away. Clandestine has experience with the kits and does a great job of going over them as the assembly process is being done. I would suggest if at all possible you take him up on his offer. By the way the kit comes with all the parts you need to assemble the lower. If you buy a fully assembled rifle they test shoot it first and send the target with the gun. Guaranteed to be sub moa if not they make it right. Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom