Wanting to start IDPA OR USPSA , don't know where to start?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • soghap

Mar 4, 2012
    Catonsville, Md
    I would like to get into competitive shooting. Don't know where to begin for the styles of shooting I mentioned. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

jason.krywicki

Sep 8, 2007
    GB, MD
    Are you interested in a primer on the basics of both IDPA and USPSA or are you more interested in where IDPA and USPSA events are that are local to you?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    A primer would be great. Looking for the best way to get involved in the sport.

Just show up and have fun while being safe. Just tell the safety officers that you are new and they will walk you through. :)

You can download the rule book and start reading.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Well USPSA/IPSC and IDPA mainly shoot paper also, just not from fixed positions. I suggest going to a match and spectating at least one time. Ask competitors some of your questions while there, they will be happy to reply. Out here in Western MD we shoot IDPA at Thurmont's TCSC club and at Peacemaker NTC in WV. For USPSA we shoot at both those also plus at Summit Point Motorsports Park. If you live near PA there are clubs up that way that shoot both disciplines, and you can find them on the PA shooters website. Also some in southern MD and VA.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    http://yorkiwla.org/id38.html

This is the Issac Walton League of York PA, about 20 minutes up 83 inside the PA line.
    They are not doing USPSA matches anymore, they are shooting the same platform as USPSA without the USPSA rules.
    There are videos to watch to see the sport and some instructional videos. Howard is the Range Master and is on this forum. Usually you need to get with Howard to go through a short Shooters Class with him before he will turn you loose at a match.

Just a Guy at the Range

Dec 13, 2011
    http://yorkiwla.org/id38.html

This is the Issac Walton League of York PA, about 20 minutes up 83 inside the PA line.
    They are not doing USPSA matches anymore, they are shooting the same platform as USPSA without the USPSA rules.
    There are videos to watch to see the sport and some instructional videos. Howard is the Range Master and is on this forum. Usually you need to get with Howard to go through a short Shooters Class with him before he will turn you loose at a match.

Thanks for the plug Kalister1!

We are also using the monthly funshoot and a launching platform to our monthly Action Matches, as it is basically the same match, with the heat turned down for those that wish. No advance training for the FunShoots, just show up.

As you said, we are no longer affiliated with USPSA, and while we are still following the format in spirit and divisions, we now enjoy a lot more freedom with our monthly matches. We will always have pistol only and multigun options. What this means is fun for all.

Watch the blog for info.

g

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    Looking at the replies in this thread it appears that the best option for folks in the Baltimore area would be the Monocacy Pistol Club? I'm looking to shoot USPSA.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i didn't think monocacy did uspsa (or idpa)? york is doing something very similar to uspsa, about an hour from baltimore, maybe less. i have done a couple of uspsa's (and idpa) at thurmont above frederick. summit point (SW of frederick) has uspsa as does peacemaker (NW of summit)(idpa also). also check out eastern shore practical shooters, over the bay bridge.

Jackson923

Hell Yeah!
    Jan 25, 2008
    Harford Co
    Looking at the replies in this thread it appears that the best option for folks in the Baltimore area would be the Monocacy Pistol Club? I'm looking to shoot USPSA.

If your in the Baltimore area make sure you take the short drive up 83 to the York IWLA range. Howard who does the monthly action matches (former USPSA matches) and Gary that runs the monthly "FunShoots" are great guys. the fun shoots are perfect if it's your first time, you still shoot steel as well as paper and breakable stuff. Check out the info here: http://www.yorkpistol.blogspot.com The matches are posted on the right hand side of the site.
    George

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    Thanks. When I get some more time I will do some more research. Looking for a club with regular matches within an hour or so drive. Thurmont, York and Summit Point WV all fit the bill.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    We don't do USPSA or IDPA at Monocacy but we do a lot of steel matches. This Saturday is our first Speed Steel match of the year. Think of it as a 5 stage Steel Challenge match. Centerfire pistols and rimfire pistols and carbines are allowed. Drawing from the holster is allowed on centerfire for qualified shooters, which I assume you may not be. In that case we use the USPSA/IDPA surrender position, since many of use do shoot both those disciplines at other locations. Vertical holsters or race holster only, no FBI cant type holsters. Even if you can't do it you can get some instruction on the proper way to do it which you will need to do for both IDPA and USPSA.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Sanner's Lake Sportsman Club have a USPSA match this coming Sunday if you want to try it.

i think i found the website for sanners, but no mention of any match or that they do uspsa (idpa only). maybe i found the wrong site?

in any event, do you know the details (# stages, round count, cost, etc)? hopefully experienced shooters but new to sanners don't need to get ok'd in advance or anything? thanks!

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    This Saturday is our first Speed Steel match of the year. Think of it as a 5 stage Steel Challenge match.

if you know start time and round count, would you please advise, thanks! open to public like your other matches, right?

i have to get out this weekend and hit a match, just haven't figured out which one(s) yet...

wat-a-man

Sep 8, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    Southern Maryland Practical Shooters

Davsco

Match Schedule and contact person

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      81.7 KB · Views: 231

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts