Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old October 10th, 2018, 01:11 PM #1

Question Regarding Legality of Non-Resident traveling with AR Pistol into MD

Let me start by saying this, I've been researching this topic for about 3 hours now and have been on the MSP webiste as well as here and the Maryland General Assembly website but my question remains...

-I live in North Carolina and travel to Maryland a couple times per year to visit my wife's family

-I have an NC Concealed Permit (I do not intend to carry in Maryland and I know that is illegal) Just stating that I have a permit and can carry anywhere along my route except MD.

- I understand the Federal transportation laws (Locked case, unloaded, separate from the magazine, in the trunk) that cover me from the time I enter the state until I arrive at my place of temporary residence (my in-laws house) making no stops after entering the state.

-I obey all traffic laws when driving in MD as to draw no undue attention from Law Enforcement.

-I have built an AR Pistol in a configuration that, from my research is completely legal to posses in Maryland as it has almost no features and, I believe, does not meet the definition of assault pistol. It has the following
1. a receiver that was never a rifle (Brand new lower marked "Multi-Cal")
2. 7.5" .300AAC threaded barrel
3. No muzzle device, just a thread protector
4. 10 round fixed magazine by way of a "bullet button" device
5. No vertical or angled foregrip
6. SBA3 collapsible pistol brace (my only area of concern as it is multi-position)

-My main questions is this, if this pistol is legal to posses in Maryland, may a non-resident enter the sate with it while traveling to a place of residence. I have no intention of traveling with it in the vehicle during my stay, and will only put it back in my vehicle on my return trip home.

If there is a website that has this information that I have overlooked, please let me know! Thank you!
Speed4341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2018, 01:21 PM #2

One question.....why bring it?
Mightydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2018, 01:28 PM #3
Vote SG For King

Vote SG For King

Perfectly legal- provided once you get to your destination it is off loaded and taken into the house/apt/hotel. You cannot keep it in your trunk for a trip to McDonalds.
Old October 10th, 2018, 03:03 PM #4

No issues, bringing it here, just cannot leave it in your car once your here. You could even put a muzzle device on and a standard 30rd mag without the bullet button if you wanted to. I *think* there might be in issue if you use the bullet button with 30 round mag, because then it might be a fixed mag post 2013.
Rab1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2018, 03:04 PM #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightydog View Post
One question.....why bring it?
I've always kept a rifle caliber firearm in my vehicle. I have a truck pistol and a truck rifle. Just one of those things that I'd rather have and never need, than need and not have.
Old October 10th, 2018, 03:19 PM #6
Vote SG For King

Vote SG For King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed4341 View Post
I've always kept a rifle caliber firearm in my vehicle. I have a truck pistol and a truck rifle. Just one of those things that I'd rather have and never need, than need and not have.
In most Marylandistan counties, it is legal to keep a non-banned rifle in your trunk. Handguns are a no-go state wide.
Old October 10th, 2018, 03:34 PM #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaregrouper View Post
In most Marylandistan counties, it is legal to keep a non-banned rifle in your trunk. Handguns are a no-go state wide.
As stated in the original post, I'm not looking to keep any firearm in my vehicle during my stay. I just keep them in my vehicle at home. Just want to make sure I'm not bringing a firearm which is perfectly legal everywhere else, but illegal in MD, into the state.
Old October 10th, 2018, 03:37 PM #8

Quote:

That’s so “old school”. I remember as a kid in the early 70’s in Pennsylvania we would drive to school with our shotgun in the truck so to go pheasant hunting afterwards. Nobody would bother it and no such thing as a “no gun zone”. Man I miss the old days.
Mightydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2018, 03:39 PM #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab1515 View Post
No issues, bringing it here, just cannot leave it in your car once your here. You could even put a muzzle device on and a standard 30rd mag without the bullet button if you wanted to. I *think* there might be in issue if you use the bullet button with 30 round mag, because then it might be a fixed mag post 2013.
So accessories which make a rifle an "assault rifle" in Maryland can be used on a pistol without it becoming an "assault pistol"? Correct me if I'm wrong, I've found little on the web that gives me a clear definition of what Maryland considers an "assault weapon."
Old October 10th, 2018, 04:06 PM #10
Vote SG For King

Vote SG For King

Quote:
So accessories which make a rifle an "assault rifle" in Maryland can be used on a pistol without it becoming an "assault pistol"? Correct me if I'm wrong, I've found little on the web that gives me a clear definition of what Maryland considers an "assault weapon."
Correct. To make it even more interesting/stupid, all the laws are for .223/5.56 only. A .300AAC is perfectly legal in all (federally legal) configurations.

ETA- Assault pistols are banned by name; not features... H&K SP89, Intratec Tec9, Ingram Mac 10/11, etc.

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues