Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old October 7th, 2018, 10:05 AM #1

AR10, Who has one?

Iím in the midst of building a DPMS patterned AR10 with the initial goal of 1 MOA to sub MOA at 1000yds. The lower is complete and furnished and Iím at the point where the next step is a barrel, BCG and to finish out the upper.

But, Iím considering ditching the whole 1000yd precision idea and getting a bolt gun for that later down the road.

Iím not sure how I would finish out the AR10 if I do go that route; so who has one, what do you use it for, whatís your setup and what are yours thoughts?
dmable44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2018, 10:21 AM #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmable44 View Post
I’m in the midst of building a DPMS patterned AR10 with the initial goal of 1 MOA to sub MOA at 1000yds. The lower is complete and furnished and I’m at the point where the next step is a barrel, BCG and to finish out the upper.

But, I’m considering ditching the whole 1000yd precision idea and getting a bolt gun for that later down the road.

I’m not sure how I would finish out the AR10 if I do go that route; so who has one, what do you use it for, what’s your setup and what are yours thoughts?

Honestly man, a consistant sub MOA ar10 is a pipe dream. I have multiple Gas 308's and none can do sub Moa consistantly even with hand loads and perfect conditions, however my $600 savage 10 in 6.5 does it all day long
  • Daniel Defense DD5V1
  • Aero Precision AR10 matched upper / lower w/ 20" krieger barrel and timney trigger
  • POF 308 AR10 w/ 20" match barrel and POF trigger
  • SCAR17H w/ Giessele Super Scar Trigger
  • Fulton Armory Titan AR10

None of those are consistent sub MOA at 500 let alone at 1k and they all have good glass (Vortex Viper PST 6-24 FFP scopes)

All that said, they are a blast to shoot and are so much faster on the follow up shots, however now you have to full length size your brass which causes brass to die faster and you shoot a lot more rounds which costs more money =)
KrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2018, 10:33 AM #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
Honestly man, a consistant sub MOA ar10 is a pipe dream. I have multiple Gas 308's and none can do sub Moa consistantly even with hand loads and perfect conditions, however my $600 savage 10 in 6.5 does it all day long
  • Daniel Defense DD5V1
  • Aero Precision AR10 matched upper / lower w/ 20" krieger barrel and timney trigger
  • POF 308 AR10 w/ 20" match barrel and POF trigger
  • SCAR17H w/ Giessele Super Scar Trigger
  • Fulton Armory Titan AR10

None of those are consistent sub MOA at 500 let alone at 1k and they all have good glass (Vortex Viper PST 6-24 FFP scopes)

All that said, they are a blast to shoot and are so much faster on the follow up shots, however now you have to full length size your brass which causes brass to die faster and you shoot a lot more rounds which costs more money =)
Thatís basically the gist of what Iíve been reading. A .308 gas gun that can shoot sub MOA consistently is much much harder to achieve and can be super costly.

I would like to stick with .308/7.62 though.

That being said, how would you finish the build out and what would you use it for?
dmable44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2018, 10:43 AM #4

Will be interesting what Yoda says on it.

Q
Qbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2018, 10:58 AM #5

I would buy one from one of the high end makers who have an accuracy guarantee if you want that level of performance. Not sure any will state that level of accuracy though and if they do expect to pay.
SAF Life Member
GOA Member
JFPO Member
ohen cepel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2018, 11:24 AM #6
W T F

W T F

One of the main reasons 6.5, etc. are better out to 1000 yards is not build quality itself, its that cartridges like 6.5 are faster out of the barrel so the bullet experiences less wind drift, stays supersonic longer, etc. 308 from an 18" barrel will go subsonic around 900-950 yards ish, depending on load. 6.5 has some other ballistic advantages besides speed. But it also depends on your use. For game at 1000 yards, you like want something bigger than either.
danb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2018, 12:11 PM #7
bad ass LBZ that is

bad ass LBZ that is

I plan to try the same thing. My build is almost complete. I plan to test my ability as well as the ability of the gun. If I posess the ability to make constant hits at 1000 with the current .308 AR10, I plan to build a 6.5 creed bolt gun in the future. If I don't have the ability to make it in the long range game I will have one bad ass AR10 to play with.

The build
Mega MATEN matched set
Giessele national match trigger
The full JP upper treatment (20" supermatch heavy barrel, adjustable gas block, Matched high pressure bolt) sent the upper to JP for them to set barrel with there super secret heat treatment method.
JP LOMOS bolt carrier
JP silent capture buffer spring
JP 34mm flat top scope mount
Soon to be out of ATF jail Silencerco harvester
And finally if they go on sale black Friday Vortex Razor HD gen II 4.5-27x54 MRAD scope

I have my reloading bench ready to go. I cant wait to develop a load and stretch the legs on this build. Hopefully I can perform as well as this gun should.
BALBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2018, 12:34 PM #8

Just to be clear... any ar10 or AR-15 will make hits at 1k. The goal is to increase the consistency at which it hits. That said be prepared to be mortified when a stock savage or Ruger in 6.5 out shoots your $5,000 gas gun.

If Iím looking to shoot precision I have bolts in 6.5CM, 300WM and 338LM that are great. But they are boring as hell to shoot because they hit all the time.

My gas 308ís and 6.5s however are fun to shoot but I wouldnít consider them precision guns even though they are built amazingly well with the highest grade parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old October 7th, 2018, 12:47 PM #9

You also have to remember... people post their best groups NOT their average group.

People also shoot at 100 and call it 500 to show how amazing they or their gun is.

I call bs on anyone that says they can do 1/2 moa on a gas gun ďon averageĒ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old October 7th, 2018, 01:24 PM #10

I have a Smith & Wesson AR 10 "Sport," the one with the 16" barrel. Other than barrel length, it appears to be identical to S&W's more expensive model with the 18" barrel. I've only been able to shoot it at 100 to 200 yards, because I don't have a shooting spot available with a longer range. I've only used pricey Federal Gold Medal Sierra Matchking Ammo, 168 grain. I'm still learning how to aim and hold the rifle properly, but I am getting good groups at the distances I have available to me. Damned thing is LOUD, LOUD, LOUD. I put in foam earplugs before I slip on the muffs. I like the ambi controls on the rifle.
moose&squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles