Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Reloading
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old September 23rd, 2018, 11:23 AM #1

40S&W

been reloading for a couple years but new to casting bullets. and always have something to learn.

i cast some bullets, resized them and about 95% of them are fine.. however... every once in a while the slide wont shut (semi auto).

i had reloaded probably 800-900 rounds of FMJ bullets and no issues. i changed to cast bullets and i'm having issues. I'm not sure what to share because i have no idea wahts going on.. open to thoughts ideas... things to check etc.

i posted this same post on the cast bullets website but figured i'll post here too incase it's an issue beyond "cast bullets"
Moorvogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2018, 12:04 PM #2

I had the same issue. I switch to a Lee Factory Crimp Die and it solve the problem.
R1125 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2018, 12:14 PM #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1125 View Post
I had the same issue. I switch to a Lee Factory Crimp Die and it solve the problem.
makes sense. when i think about "what else changed" i decided to flair the mouth of the brass this time. It wasn't a big deal w/ the FMJ but i was getting little shavings w/ the cast bullets so i flaired it more.

perhaps i'm not "putting it back" enough.

i'll give this a shot (see what i did there?).
Old September 23rd, 2018, 12:28 PM #4

I had the same little shavings with the cast. Took me awhile to figure it out.

Are you powder coating your cast bullets?
R1125 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2018, 12:33 PM #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorvogi View Post
been reloading for a couple years but new to casting bullets. and always have something to learn.

i cast some bullets, resized them and about 95% of them are fine.. however... every once in a while the slide wont shut (semi auto).

i had reloaded probably 800-900 rounds of FMJ bullets and no issues. i changed to cast bullets and i'm having issues. I'm not sure what to share because i have no idea wahts going on.. open to thoughts ideas... things to check etc.

i posted this same post on the cast bullets website but figured i'll post here too incase it's an issue beyond "cast bullets"
Are you dropping some of your reloads into a Cartridge Case gauge? If you don't have one, measure the case mouth of one of your reloads and see if it is within SAAMI specs.
Additionally, your COAL may be too long and the bullet ogive is hitting the lead of the chamber.

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
(credit to a USAF pilot)

Proud Patriot Picket
John from MD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2018, 03:21 PM #6

I use both a case gauge when setting the crimp and also plunk test in the barrel that I'm going to shoot. The second check is especially important with cast boolits (as John said). Feed issues can be related to bullet type or COL. You didn't mention the bullet you're casting. I use much more flare with cast than I do with plated and FMJ. If you don't use enough flare, you might notice not only shavings, but also cuts on the bullet (if you pull one and look at it). As you reload the same brass over and over, you want to look for cracked mouths as the extra flare stresses it a bit more. I noticed two just last week - but my they had about 12 loads on them. Others in the same batch were fine.

Also, if you're shooting cast in a handgun, check if that gun's barrel has polygonal rifling. Most manufacturers and many handloaders will recommend not shooting cast boolits through polygonal rifling. Some even go as far to say not to shoot plated bullets as well, to stick only with FMJ. I'll just urge caution and suggest paying attention to the below.

I assume you've also slugged the barrel you're casting them for. Proper sizing, COL, and correct bullet lube for your application will all work together to reduce potential for leading, and you'll want to watch for those signs as you work up your load. Happy casting to ya!
Old September 23rd, 2018, 04:59 PM #7

What diameter are your cast bullets?

Most likely it's your flaring. Get a cast bullet friendly flaring die. I highly recommend the Lyman M die. I use it for regular jacketed bullets too.

The Lee factory crimp die is a band-aid and can cause problems. It's simply a plain old crimp die just like any other except that it has a carbide sizing ring very similar to the regular sizing die. When using the FCD, you might have the scenario where with thicker brass, and larger bullets, you're sizing the bullets with the Lee FCD. The rifle type Lee FCD is a whole other beast, so don't confuse the two.

1) Get a Lyman M die. You'll want to adjust to the stepped portion of the flare.
2) Lightly taper crimp just enough to remove any flaring at the case mouth but no more.

Are you using mixed brass? Pistol brass varies in thickness. Remington is really thin sometimes. Not sure which brands run on the thick side. If your bullets are on the large side, and your brass is on the thick side,...
atblis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2018, 10:22 AM #8

all great feedback. i'm fairly sure it's the flairing because i didn't have the issue before but.. i also wasn't flaring the brass.. Made it harder to seat the bullets but it worked for FMJ. For w/e reason, i didn't even think about a case gauge for pistol. I use them for rifle/bottle necked brass but.. never crossed my mind to use it for pistol/strait wall chambers
Old September 29th, 2018, 02:14 PM #9

One thing you can do is to use a black marker and color the bullets/case mouth. Take the barrel out of the gun, and insert the round fully into the chamber a few times. You may be able to see where the round is hanging up. It's not unheard of for pistols to be chambered/throated a little tight. This can show up if you're using an atypical weight/profile bullet. I seem to remember CZ being one of typical offenders. It's usually the action pistol types who encounter this though.
atblis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2018, 10:38 AM #10

it was the flairing. i got a factory crimp die, loaded 400 rounds.. zero issues.

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Reloading