Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Reloading
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old October 3rd, 2018, 08:21 PM #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorvogi View Post
it was the flairing. i got a factory crimp die, loaded 400 rounds.. zero issues.
Glad it work for you.
R1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2018, 09:00 AM #12

I don't see where you said you measured anything. Have you stuck a micrometer on your loaded rounds (good calipers would suffice)?

ETA: I say this because you may now have undersized bullets and not realize it.
atblis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2018, 09:19 AM #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by atblis View Post
I don't see where you said you measured anything. Have you stuck a micrometer on your loaded rounds (good calipers would suffice)?

ETA: I say this because you may now have undersized bullets and not realize it.
GREAT question and reasoning. yes.

I check the size of bullets and store them in "batches". Unsized bullets in pile A, resized bullets in pile b and put a label in the container as well as measure them prior to loading as a sanity check. I also measure the COAL every 50 rounds or so but every time on the first 5.
Moorvogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2018, 05:09 AM #14

Lead bullets and a factory crimp die is one the really fast ways to get barrel leading, poor accuracy, and key holing. For lead bullets, use a standard taper crimp die and remove sufficient case mouth flare. Hold the case up to a white background and be sure you don't see any case mouth flare. You can feel along the bullet and feel case mouth flare. Your case mouth should be 0.3800-0.377".
Since you found the problem, this does not apply directly to you, just a FYI:
In all the cases I've seen, the issue is seating the bullet crooked (poor seating stem fit or improper (too little) case expansion and case mouth flaring.
Your rounds, near the case mouth should be 0.3811 -0.007/+0.000 and the chamber should be 0.382 -0.000/+0.004. A bullet that is 0.002" larger than nominal (0.3555") would only add 0.0005" to each side.
Do a Plunk test and verify what your problem is.

Plunk Testing:

Take the barrel out of the gun. Drop rounds in until you find one that won't chamber. Take that round and "paint" the bullet and case black with Magic Marker or other marker. Drop round in barrel (or gage) and rotate it back-and-forth a few times.

Remove and inspect the round:

1) Scratches in the ink on bullet--COL is too long
2) Scratches in the ink on edge of the case mouth--insufficient crimp
3) Scratches in the ink just below the case mouth--too much crimp, you're crushing the case
4) Scratches in the ink on case at base of bullet--bullet seated crooked due to insufficient case expansion (not case mouth flare) or improper seating stem fit
5) Scratches in the ink on case just above extractor groove--case bulge not removed during sizing. May need a bulge buster.

[IMG][/IMG]
noylj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2018, 09:55 AM #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorvogi View Post
GREAT question and reasoning. yes.

I check the size of bullets and store them in "batches". Unsized bullets in pile A, resized bullets in pile b and put a label in the container as well as measure them prior to loading as a sanity check. I also measure the COAL every 50 rounds or so but every time on the first 5.
I mean after loaded in a case. What's the OD of the case mouth with a bullet seated? You can get an idea if you're flaring too much and or removing the flare with the crimp (which is mostly what crimping isf for in this case).

If the bullet is 0.401", the case walls are 0.010" and after loading and Lee FCD the OD of the case at the mouth is 0.600", guess what happened to your bullets?

It's also hard to get a correct OD measurement with calipers. An appropriate micrometer is much better. With good technique, calipers can suffice.

This comes back to the LEE FCD being a bandaid without bothering to make a diagnosis. Start measuring and figure out what the problem is first. Maybe the the FCD is a valid solution, maybe not.

If you're loading cast bullets, get a better flaring die. The Lyman M dies are good. There are others that are good too.
Old October 15th, 2018, 09:21 AM #16

previously, i had NO crimper (roll/factory/taper) setup. this worked but i also wasn't flaring the mouth case open AT ALL. i opened the mouth a little for cast bullets and was closing the mouth while seating the bullet. this lead to some (not all) bullets failing to feed into the chamber. It was closing the mouth again but not enough to make it consistently feed. i put the FCD in and slowly crimped it little by little until it would feed all the ones i pulled out previously as "non fitting".

i shot 500 rounds, no leading issues, no failure to feed/eject. flawless. Though i didn't check for key-holing because i was shooting gongs....
Old October 15th, 2018, 10:22 AM #17

What model pistol are we talking about?
Old October 15th, 2018, 10:50 AM #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by atblis View Post
What model pistol are we talking about?
this is a Springfield XDM 3.8" compact, in 40 S&W

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Reloading