• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    anyone showing up tomorrow have a spare ar15 safety selector detent? PSA shipped the wrong one with this kit.. I will replace it when a new one comes in.. or pay, whatever..

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Jmira and Lx1x @ MG
    7.62x54R +Mosins and PSL= Fun:party29:

Jmira playing with Bill Ruger's Retro Assault Rifle. The factory Mini14 SBR/ factory Folder- Suppressed ( M42K mod 7)

Thanks for loaning me some ammo and :thumbsup: for the MDS sticker.. The Glockmobile appreciates it as well. :D

scar

Attachments

• mgtoday.jpg
      mgtoday.jpg
      116.8 KB · Views: 199

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    The Mosin that I got from Mdeng performed well today. The best shot group that I did was about a half inch 3 shot cluster at 50 yards, centered on the bullseye. After the rifle got hot, the group started spreading out to about 1.2"... It could also due to shooter error.

Also, I guess..I'll be washing my guns today... Corrosive ammo :D

Time for some advil and an ice pack.:)

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    good day even though its hot like hell.. hey scar.. i like what you did to the stock on your mosin.. wanna to refinish my stock on the ex-dragoon? ;)

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    would have been a perfect day if I did not have to yell at that Douchebag (twice in 20 seconds? ) for handling his firearms with people downrange setting up targets..

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    would have been a perfect day if I did not have to yell at that Douchebag (twice in 20 seconds? ) for handling his firearms with people downrange setting up targets..

first time i saw them... bunch of asshats. you did try your best. :thumbsup:

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    good day even though its hot like hell.. hey scar.. i like what you did to the stock on your mosin.. wanna to refinish my stock on the ex-dragoon? ;)

Sure... No problem.. As long as you can live with the Crystal lite ( drink mix) red-orange stain that I used ( seriously).

Anyways.. heres what I did:

• Took off all metal parts and soaked it in diesel fuel.
    • Wrapped the stock on old rags,Black trash bag and left it in the trunk of may car for a day to soften the cosmoline.
    • Washed the stock with HOT water and dishwashing soap.
    • For dings.. cover the ding with a wet rag. use a clothes iron to raise up low spots.
    • Let the stock dry.
    • In an open/ well ventilated area.. Use a rag saturated with acetone to get all the old finish off. Work it in brass and steel fittings. This also dissolves the cosmoline.
    • Smoothen with fine sandpaper. wipe again with acetone.
    • Stain with an alcohol based wood stain. ( i used crystal lite powder, mixed in with vodka) Crazyal and I consumed the leftovers.
    • Using a paper towel, apply multiple layers of tung oil. Let the coats dry in between applications. ( 15 minute intervals) Let dry..
    • Polish with automotive wax.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Sure... No problem.. As long as you can live with the Crystal lite ( drink mix) red-orange stain that I used ( seriously).

Anyways.. heres what I did:

• Took off all metal parts and soaked it in diesel fuel.
    • Wrapped the stock on old rags,Black trash bag and left it in the trunk of may car for a day to soften the cosmoline.
    • Washed the stock with HOT water and dishwashing soap.
    • For dings.. cover the ding with a wet rag. use a clothes iron to raise up low spots.
    • Let the stock dry.
    • In an open/ well ventilated area.. Use a rag saturated with acetone to get all the old finish off. Work it in brass and steel fittings. This also dissolves the cosmoline.
    • Smoothen with fine sandpaper. wipe again with acetone.
    • Stain with an alcohol based wood stain. ( i used crystal lite powder, mixed in with vodka) Crazyal and I consumed the leftovers.
    • Using a paper towel, apply multiple layers of tung oil. Let the coats dry in between applications. ( 15 minute intervals) Let dry..
    • Polish with automotive wax.

all the metal part are cleaned.. havent done anything with the stock but wipe it down with hot water to take some of the cosmo off. :D

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    all the metal part are cleaned.. havent done anything with the stock but wipe it down with hot water to take some of the cosmo off. :D

I'll do it next week. Wish you had told me earlier.I could have done it today. crazyal is picking up a mosin this afternoon and may end up cleaning it up at my place tonight.

Ill do it for you next week.. bring it next Saturday

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I'll do it next week. Wish you had told me earlier.I could have done it today. crazyal is picking up a mosin this afternoon and may end up cleaning it up at my place tonight.

Ill do it for you next week.. bring it next Saturday

ok.. if i remember. lol.. very hesitant on anything serious with it.. it has more marking than the other one i had refinished.

btw.. what did you use to reblue? was at dicks sporting goods yesterday.. they have super blue and regular by birchwood.

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    I spent the last hour cleaning mine... first I flushed it with warm water... then blew it out with degreaser and sprayed compressed air to get it dry.. then dumped it into a small tub of hoppes to soak.. all small parts were removed and soaked.. all large parts were coated / cleaned .. I left it all in the sun for a bit, went for a swim - came back and wiped it down / reassembled.

it looks new!

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    ok.. if i remember. lol.. very hesitant on anything serious with it.. it has more marking than the other one i had refinished.

btw.. what did you use to reblue? was at dicks sporting goods yesterday.. they have super blue and regular by birchwood.

Regular birchwood bluing paste.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    update on the Mosin.

Polished all the locking lugs, with fine sandpaper.Polished the lugs with polishing compound. Stone polished the sear engagement surfaces as well as the " leaf" trigger spring.

This has cured the sticky bolt( the bolt can now be unlocked with one finger and minimal effort) and dropped the trigger pull to about 6 lbs. It also minimized trigger creep to a minimum. The better trigger should result in better accuracy. Not bad for a couple of hours work.

I cant wait to shoot it this weekend.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Come one scar. Its russian rifle not mary poppin. LOL

J/k. I got bored yesterday and redid the finish on the ex-dragoon. Found minor pitting on the outside of the barrel. :(

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Come one scar. Its russian rifle not mary poppin. LOL

J/k. I got bored yesterday and redid the finish on the ex-dragoon. Found minor pitting on the outside of the barrel. :(

You know I cant leave anything " stock".

Almost ordered a Timney trigger for it, then it occurred to me that" Its russian rifle not mary poppins"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom