• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KristalG

Sep 17, 2018
    We will be moving from Anne Arundel county to a suburb of Frederick. We love the city and what it has to offer. Plus it seems you can’t go wrong with any of the schools around the city. So we don’t want to live too far from Frederick city. We are considering Walkersville. Anyone here know the good and bad of it? Does anyone know specifically anything about the Deerfield community? Anyone have any other suggestions of areas to live around Frederick that aren’t too far out in the country?

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Another 20 minutes north and you can live in free America.....Gettysburg Pa. With all the construction going on up and down route 26 it gets down right crowded getting to route 15 to go anywhere. The county just gave approval to start developing a 55+ community of around 450 homes up from 26 on 15 by Biggs Ford Rd. Wait until that mess.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    We will be moving from Anne Arundel county to a suburb of Frederick. We love the city and what it has to offer. Plus it seems you can’t go wrong with any of the schools around the city. So we don’t want to live too far from Frederick city. We are considering Walkersville. Anyone here know the good and bad of it? Does anyone know specifically anything about the Deerfield community? Anyone have any other suggestions of areas to live around Frederick that aren’t too far out in the country?

I believe Deerfield *Deerbought* is in the city tax zone whereas Waterside across the way on Hwy 26 is outside this zone. Some of the single family homes in Waterside are nice and might be similarly priced as the townhomes in Deerbought. There's also a lot of housing a bit north of Waterside that's attractive (Bear Den and other areas), although I don't know the tax zone.

Personally, after living in Walkersville area, the areas that I would explore in Frederick County that are close to the city, but outside its tax zone, include Ijamsville (Oakdale High School), Middletown (Middletown High School), and Urbana (Urbana High School). Linganore High School and Tuscorara High School areas are also nice and possibly out of the city tax zone.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    We live in Middletown and have for the past 20 years. The area you're looking at is very crowded. If you like crowds and congestion, you are looking at the right area.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Lot of areas still in the “country” in Frederick/Washington county. Parts of Middletown, Myersville, Smithsburg and Boonsboro. Depends what you want. If you want shopping centers, library’s and shopping then these aren’t for you. If you want to be within 10-15 miles of them then these are the places to live. Still have the country feel. We in Myersville are getting our library finally built. Only issue is that in times of bad weather, like winter, tends to be problems getting over Braddock mountain or South Mountain.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member

Here’s a plug for our community, lots of different style homes. Not far from Walkersville, and easy into Frederick, but more amenities.

https://www.zillow.com/new-market-md/lake-linganore-_att/

Last edited:

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    I believe Deerfield *Deerbought* is in the city tax zone whereas Waterside across the way on Hwy 26 is outside this zone. Some of the single family homes in Waterside are nice and might be similarly priced as the townhomes in Deerbought. There's also a lot of housing a bit north of Waterside that's attractive (Bear Den and other areas), although I don't know the tax zone.

Personally, after living in Walkersville area, the areas that I would explore in Frederick County that are close to the city, but outside its tax zone, include Ijamsville (Oakdale High School), Middletown (Middletown High School), and Urbana (Urbana High School). Linganore High School and Tuscorara High School areas are also nice and possibly out of the city tax zone.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I believe Deerfield is on 194 North of the Rutters they are putting in. I have a lot of friends that live over there and it is very nice. Just stay out of discovery. I grew up in a single family home in discovery. Just avoid it if you can.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I believe Deerfield is on 194 North of the Rutters they are putting in. I have a lot of friends that live over there and it is very nice. Just stay out of discovery. I grew up in a single family home in discovery. Just avoid it if you can.

Being a resident of FredCo, I can second this, and can not stress it enough.

Once you move here you'll find the places that are worth going to, and those that aren't.

FPL53

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2013
    Frederick
    If you want to be within walking distance of downtown, and TJ High per your other post, and don't mind paying the higher city tax you have Monocacy Village, Monocacy Crossing and River Crest. These are all behind the Monocacy Shopping Center on East Street. The shopping center has an Oscar's Ale House, Midnight Run Brewery and Rockwell Brewery. If you are also into cigars, there a Quartermaster's cigar and lounge.

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick

If you didn't move yet I have an 18 acre place going for sale Monday on Bethel Road. 5 minutes and your in Frederick, Yellow Springs Elementary is still one of the best in the county.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    You can do better than Walkersville... for all the reason stated.
    Make sure you check out the other thread listed on page 1.

jplum

Feb 3, 2008
    As a resident of Walkersville, Deerfield is not bad. Nice houses. Traffic isn’t too bad around Walkersville, but the traffic on 26 stinks. You are about 10 miles from Thurmont Conservation and Sportsman Club, www.TCandSC.org. Discovery is not in Walkersville. Dearbought is not bad either, but it is in Frederick City and right in the middle of the 26 traffic.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    If you didn't move yet I have an 18 acre place going for sale Monday on Bethel Road. 5 minutes and your in Frederick, Yellow Springs Elementary is still one of the best in the county.

The old farm?

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    The old farm?

Yes our farmette, Log home, nice wood burner in main room, rigged for generator, etc etc. 18 acres, fenced, stream. Three stall barn, one with concrete floor. Large two stall run in shed that splits the lower pasture. Far enough from the road I can shoot off my back porch in my underwear. Its a divorce sale.

For what its worth to the OP, stay the hell out of Frederick City limits or any development within a mile or so, whenever the City gets hungry for money they annex neighborhoods.

Attached is the view from the Front Porch. I can shoot down that field too if I want to, its far enough. Its on MLIS now as coming. Ask your agent to look at Bethel Road. I think its official Friday once we get a few more things out for showing..

Attachments

• Front Porch.jpg
      Front Porch.jpg
      57.7 KB · Views: 175

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Please consider living in PA, VA, or WV, instead of Frederick County. Nothing particularly wrong with Frederick County, but why? Wouldn't you rather live in America?

Just think about it and talk it over with the family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom