• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    The CMP sucks. They have gone way down hill since Orest retired and will never get another dollar from me. I got a nice, correct Remington-Rand for less that CMP customers will pay. 2 NICS checks and no 03 FFL? I’m done.

Orest was a very special person. He did for the CMP what not many others could or would do for their employer. But the CMP also has lost most of their inventory and the "Deals" just aren't there any longer. Now that we have a president that supports the 2A, I think (and hope) that the CMP will gain some of it's past glory. Give it time. These last 8 years have not been good for the CMP.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    After the carbine fiasco, Mark Johnson and the CMP are doing their very best to lower expectations on these 1911s.

I'm not going to waste my time and money chasing this BS 1911 lottery. The CMP has my FFL-03, my notarized form 2A, my GCA membership data and all of the information to do a NICS check. I'm certainly not going to get a HQL just to buy a C&R pistol from Alabama or Ohio. :mad54:

Maybe DJT needs to add Mr. Johnson to his swamp list.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    After the carbine fiasco, Mark Johnson and the CMP are doing their very best to lower expectations on these 1911s.

I'm not going to waste my time and money chasing this BS 1911 lottery. The CMP has my FFL-03, my notarized form 2A, my GCA membership data and all of the information to do a NICS check. I'm certainly not going to get a HQL just to buy a C&R pistol from Alabama or Ohio. :mad54:

Why would you need an HQL to get one?

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Doh! :facepalm:

Because I often type before I think things through...

Senior moment. :lol2:

I just don't understand why one NICS check isn't enough. I'm not going to become a prohibited person (at least not in the record books) in the 2 or 3 days it takes to ship the pistol. And, they can run a NICS check on an 03 FFL if they want to. No reason to require an 01. And, finally, the lottery system. What a joke. Just sell the first come, first served like they've always done. I've seen a lot of comments on forums about how this proposed process isn't really workable.

At the end of the day, though, it doesn't matter what I think. They will sell every single one for whatever they ask. And my 1911A1 will lose some value because I don't have a CMP certificate for it. Oh well . . ..

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    CMP Update

This arrived today:

Note: 1911 type pistols purchased from CMP cannot be transferred to 03 FFL (curio and relic) license. BATF and the United States Army prefer the second background check be performed by a "store front" FFL dealer. Each customer purchasing a 1911 type pistol from CMP will be subjected to two NICS background checks, one performed by CMP and the other performed by the FFL dealer the pistol is being shipped to.

Mark Johnson
    Chief Operating Officer
    Civilian Marksmanship Program
    www.thecmp.org

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Orest was a very special person. He did for the CMP what not many others could or would do for their employer. But the CMP also has lost most of their inventory and the "Deals" just aren't there any longer. Now that we have a president that supports the 2A, I think (and hope) that the CMP will gain some of it's past glory. Give it time. These last 8 years have not been good for the CMP.

You do realize that if you aren't happy with the CMP you could always COMPLAIN TO YOUR CONGRESSCRITTERS.

I know, that's like communicating with the dead, but once that is done you could always let the more receptive critters know.

Jul 1, 2012

I'm not going to waste my time and money chasing this BS 1911 lottery. ...

Amen... as I and others have said, this will be a giant greased monkey f*** full of angst, anger and butthurt.

Senior moment. :lol2:

I just don't understand why one NICS check isn't enough. I'm not going to become a prohibited person (at least not in the record books) in the 2 or 3 days it takes to ship the pistol. And, they can run a NICS check on an 03 FFL if they want to. No reason to require an 01. And, finally, the lottery system. What a joke. Just sell the first come, first served like they've always done. I've seen a lot of comments on forums about how this proposed process isn't really workable.

At the end of the day, though, it doesn't matter what I think. They will sell every single one for whatever they ask. And my 1911A1 will lose some value because I don't have a CMP certificate for it. Oh well . . ..

This may actually increase the value of the all-correct 1911 examples that are out there now, as most of these CMP pistols will be less than stellar mix-masters. All-correct Garands are bringing YUGE money without CMP certs, which in turn are a bit of a joke unless it asserts it is a correct or collector grade. I wouldn't pay a premium for a Garand with a cert that says it's a field grade over a similar one w/o a cert. Buy the gun not the story (unless it's a really good, well-documented story :) )

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    I’ll probably jump through the hoops to get one but I’ll wait until later batches come out. With the Garands it is easy to just mail order one and get one that is not what you expected, but it is still a great rifle. With the 1911’s, nobody has seen them and may not see any examples of what your going to get. So many opinions about what these are going to be, mostly mixmasters and worn out. I gotta think the Army armorers have kept these in great shape and ready for deployment if needed. And I’m assuming the CMP will go thru these also to grade them and testing them for functionalities before selling. How many will fail?
    And one more thing I haven’t seen mentioned yet is the CMP auction? Will any be put up for auction?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I already jumped through the hoops.

It's called a Curio and Relic license.

It arrived after the FBI, ATF, and God knows who else conducted a thorough background check.

CMP can keep their 1911s.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I'd bet that all the really good examples will be disposed of by auction. Personally, I think they are shooting themselves in the foot...especially jerking around the C&R FFLs. By the time you pay an FFL's transfer fee and MSP, you are looking at $75-100 over and above the sale price. And $1,100 will go a long way toward a new 1911.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I'd bet that all the really good examples will be disposed of by auction. Personally, I think they are shooting themselves in the foot...especially jerking around the C&R FFLs. By the time you pay an FFL's transfer fee and MSP, you are looking at $75-100 over and above the sale price. And $1,100 will go a long way toward a new 1911.

YUP!

Right into someone's collection. The same thing that happens at state gun buy-back programs.

They'll sell the broken down and beat up leftovers.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    It will be interesting to see the prices for the separate grades. Where do you think rust buckets will start?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    It will be interesting to see the prices for the separate grades. Where do you think rust buckets will start?

Unfortunately, anything with national exposure starts a frenzy that is its own fire. I bet many people do not even know the 1911 is still in production. I predict these guns will have their own artificial insane value just by virtue of their accompanying documentation regardless of their individual condition.

I bet a mixmaster with CMP paperwork will be worth double what the same gun already in circulation draws.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Unfortunately, anything with national exposure starts a frenzy that is its own fire. I bet many people do not even know the 1911 is still in production. I predict these guns will have their own artificial insane value just by virtue of their accompanying documentation regardless of their individual condition.

I bet a mixmaster with CMP paperwork will be worth double what the same gun already in circulation draws.

For the first 30-90 days, the secondary market will be insane. But I just wonder what the CMP will want for these handguns?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom