• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • moto.x

Sep 16, 2014
    I'm going to sound like a noob, because I am. I want to buy something of the market place on a similar site from an individual. since it's the first time they I'm doing this on the internet, i am sketched out. The seller has a good history and wants the payment through USPS but because I'm new to the whole online thing, I'm afraid of what could go wrong.

Are USPS money orders safer than a cashier's check from a bank? Who follows up if either the seller or buyer has a problem

Additionally, what happenes if he doesn't send the item and what can I do?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you send a USPS money order, and he does not ship the item, you contact the USPS and they handle it as a Mail Fraud issue.

I have been buying and selling online since the 90s, and have had only 2 bad transactions. One, I never got the item, and they said they refunded, but never go it. Model car kit from Hong Kong. The second, another kit, was not as advertised, I sent it back, seller claimed he never got it. My error, I did not send with tracking.

I have had a couple where there was something wrong with the item, and the seller either refunded a substantial amount of the price, or in some cases, refunded the entire price and told to not bother sending it back.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In addition to being perceived as like likely to be fraudulent , sellers like USPS Money Orders because they can be cashed at any US Post Office .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    A - There is a perception that Postal MO are harder to counterfit/ slash alter, and further that said fradulent practices are persued by US Postal Inspectors , thereby a further deterrent .

B - The reciever of a " normal " MO would have to be deposited in their bank account, and wait to clear . US Postal MO can be cashed over the counter at any US Post Office .

moto.x

Sep 16, 2014
    Gotcha. My last question is just clarify what you said.

perceived as like likely to be fraudulent

That was a typo right ?

A - There is a perception that Postal MO are harder to counterfit/ slash alter, and further that said fradulent practices are persued by US Postal Inspectors , thereby a further deterrent .

B - The reciever of a " normal " MO would have to be deposited in their bank account, and wait to clear . US Postal MO can be cashed over the counter at any US Post Office .

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau

There is an almost unshakable, iron-clad perception that USPS PIs will assist you in your claim against a defrauding such as you are talking about. Frankly, they will not. They will take a report, provided you completely fill it out and get it to them.

I would love to hear of first hand accounts that prove otherwise, and not from those directly connected with USPS.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I'm going to sound like a noob, because I am. I want to buy something of the market place on a similar site from an individual. since it's the first time they I'm doing this on the internet, i am sketched out. The seller has a good history and wants the payment through USPS but because I'm new to the whole online thing, I'm afraid of what could go wrong.

Are USPS money orders safer than a cashier's check from a bank? Who follows up if either the seller or buyer has a problem

Additionally, what happenes if he doesn't send the item and what can I do?

When you say the seller has good history, do you mean they have plenty of positive reviews? Any negatives? How long have they been a member of the site you're talking about? Those are all good indicators of whether or not the seller will screw you.

moto.x

Sep 16, 2014
    He's been a member for about 4 years, and about 200 positive reviews.

When you say the seller has good history, do you mean they have plenty of positive reviews? Any negatives? How long have they been a member of the site you're talking about? Those are all good indicators of whether or not the seller will screw you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom