• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NYRangers917

Oct 6, 2015
    Frederick, MD
    Trying to build/buy a md legal xm177 clone. I havent bought any parts yet still in the planning phase.

Was looking at the retro rifle from brownells but unfortunately it is not hbar and I do not own any pre '13 lowers.

Does anyone have a source for a pinned xm177 style a1 upper? Everything i've found on google thats xm style is non hbar.

Would it be better to just by a 16" and chop it down to legal with the comp pinned?

Looking for something like this http://www.olyarms.com/shop/parts/barrel/barrels-standard/arb-car.html

but hbar obviously

Anyone built one post '13? Where did you get your parts?

Thanks for any help

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Here is a good source for parts. https://retrorifles.com/ I really like his GEN1 3.5 Prototype with slots. I had to have it parkerized though.

Brownell's is another good source for parts.

As far as wether to go with a pistol or rifle is your call. For a post FSA13 rifle you would have to get someone to cut, thread, re-crown, pin and weld a carbine length HBAR.

I had John @ Duffy's cut, pin and weld one of the XM177 flash hiders on a govt profile barrel but that was for a pre FSA13 rifle.

NYRangers917

Oct 6, 2015
    Frederick, MD
    Thanks for all the replies

Just do it as a pistol and put an SBA3 or SBA4 brace on there.

I'd really like to stay with a carbine so i can do the correct stock etc.

Here is a good source for parts. https://retrorifles.com/ I really like his GEN1 3.5 Prototype with slots. I had to have it parkerized though

Great site thanks. But if i took an 11.5" barrel and used one of their 4.3" moderators i'd still come up .2" short of legal right?

Last edited:

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Great site thanks. But if i took an 11.5" barrel and used one of their 4.3" moderators i'd still come up .2" short of legal right?

Yeah you would probably be a bit short. Do the make 11.5" - 12.5" HBAR's? Like I said before you might have to get a carbine length HBAR cut down.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    My first AR

SGW CAR15 ( bought one 1988)
    It’s still a kick azz Weapon.

Attachments

• A2E4A7DD-27DA-478B-B9E5-7C9CAADD3A12.jpg
      A2E4A7DD-27DA-478B-B9E5-7C9CAADD3A12.jpg
      46.5 KB · Views: 969

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Tony's Custom offers Heavy bbls and uppers in 11.5in , with and without pinned muzzle device . He's usually at Chantilly .

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Tony's Custom offers Heavy bbls and uppers in 11.5in , with and without pinned muzzle device . He's usually at Chantilly .

he also offers it with either the triangle forend, or the round. I did 1 with the triangle as a pistol and love it !

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You can always make it as an SBR. That way you can do the short barrel and gov profile.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Here is mine. I love it, except they shipped it with an F stamped sight, even though I requested A2. My pin in front is really low. Doesn't affect accuracy but did kinda piss me off that I didn't get what I wanted. If I could find an accurate stock in the same color I would change it out. I need the shell deflector though, as I am left handed...

Attachments

• ARUpload4.jpg
      ARUpload4.jpg
      83.9 KB · Views: 339

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members