• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    One reason is the lack of inventory of apartments. Don't give a place for poor people to live and they won't live there.

Water and sewer is the problem. Once water and sewer are provided, the population density goes up and apartments are possible. Results in overcrowding, traffic, etc. Apartments, condos, and townhouses have come to Turf Valley, but they are high dollar right now because they are all brand new and it is a posh community. Give them 30+ years and some dilapidation and the prices will be lower compared to new construction, just like Columbia is now. The houses on the Carroll Farm right off of route 144 are stacked one on top of another. Water and sewer in Howard County ends just before route 32. Once it crosses over route 32, kiss the county goodbye.

Should we start a pool as to when that is going to happen as the county struggles to come up with money to build an ES in Turf Valley?

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    lol - I am waiting for my 10 and 6 year old to talk to their class mates about shooting a shotgun by themselves on Monday.

Some 6 or so years ago, my now 12 year old wrote a book in 1st grade. I did not attend the book reading night because one of us had to stay home and watch the other kids. So, my wife attended. Turns out the book was about the evil unicorn that ate the princess and the queen. The book ended with the king coming out of the castle and shooting the bad unicorn. My wife texted me immediately about it and a buddy of mine that is also a hunter, who happened to be present in the class with his 1st grader at the time, texted me and it included several lol's in the text. Did not hear anything about this from the teacher or school admin.

I was up talking to the counselor one day a year or two later and figured out that her husband and two boys are hunters. She retired last year and this year we have a new, very young, counselor. Time will tell how this goes, should we be in this county for much longer.

My 8 year old asked me yesterday if he could help me with my business ;)

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    My 8 year old asked me yesterday if he could help me with my business ;)

Why not? Smart kid. Set him up as an employee, pay him some wages for stacking, sorting, and loading inventory, deduct the wages on your tax return, and then have him invest all of it in an Individual IRA and take the tax deduction on his income tax return. Granted, he would most likely be entitled to the standard deduction anyway, which would mean most, if not all, of the income is not taxed. You and he would just have to pay the employment taxes on the wages (e.g., FICA/medicare). Imagine if somebody had started an IRA for you at age 8.

Once my kids get a little older, I will have them working in my office and will set them up for retirement at age 65.

I know this is not the route you were going, but my brain thinks differently.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Yes it does! ;)

Plus with the weight of ammo I’ll be paying WC claim soon....

Nah, I was mixing cement by hand, carrying buckets full of cement, and chiseling bricks at the age of 8. Was chiseling out flagstone at the age of 6. The very first job my dad took me too, the homeowner gave me a check for $5 for my hard work. It felt great to get a check at the age of 6. Still remember the man, Mr. Phillips on Bradly Lane.

Hard work at a young age makes them appreciate education and a desk job later in life. Oh yeah, and it allows them to build a gantry crane. lol Pictures to come when it is done.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    So Fabs, what area did you decide upon?

Or do we need attorney client privileges?? ;)

Yeah, I guess some of you are putting two and two together and getting four with what I have been posting lately.

We decided on the Winfield area, again. Last summer (i.e., 2018), we put an offer on this house/farm:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1991-Sams-Creek-Rd-Westminster-MD-21157/36795139_zpid/

At first, I thought we lost out because the amount we offered was less than the other couple. That is what the seller told us. However, after looking at that listing and what it sold for, we offered more than what it ultimately sold for. I just wasn't alright with the sellers putting 25 acres of the property into green space instead of keeping it agricultural. Did not want to lose the property tax credit, the income from farming, and most importantly the ability to hunt and shoot on the property. Guessing that is why they did not accept our contract last summer. Either that, or the appraisal came in lower than what everybody was offering.

I made a promise to my kids at the beginning of last school year that if they brought home straight A's the entire year we would stay in this school district. So, we had been looking at homes this summer in this school district. Had been seriously debating 901 High Stepper. Then, redistricting and the County Council letter came out and that was just too much. Had to sit down with my kids and explain why we are no longer staying in this school district, much less Howard County, and why I am breaking my promise. That part was painful.

Put an offer on a place in the Winfield area that was accepted on 9/11. The schools would be the same as the 50 acre place from last year. That is:

Winfield Elementary School
    Mount Airy Middle School
    South Carroll High School

I have a friend/paisan from high school that lives out there on the west side of 27 and his kids are going to those schools. He really likes the area and has no complaints about the schools.

We will be 2 miles closer to my wife's work. lol We bank at PNC and there is one really close to the house, but the safe deposit box is currently in Eldersburg and I will most likely keep it there. I've already been to the Ace Hardware there and while not Clark's Ace Hardware, it is pretty good. The elementary school and high school will be rather close to the house. The middle school, not so much. We will most likely drop off and pick up our kids when they are in middle school so they can avoid the hour plus ride on the bus. Downside is that the closest post office is in Eldersburg versus 2 miles from our current place. So, I will have to be a lot better about getting out going mail into the mailbox before the mail person comes by. Other downside is that it is another 15 minutes to my parents. Thing is, I think my parents want us to move as much as we want to move. lol

Still need some things to fall in place to get this done, so keeping my fingers crossed. However, today we are a lot closer to moving into the new place than we were two months ago.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Congratulations. The place is absolutely beautiful. Don't matter what happens around you they can't get close enough to bother you. Well done. :)

Yeah, we did not get that place on 50 acres. The place we are hoping to move into is only on 3 acres. Next on the list is a farm purchase. Probably going to be looking in the Taneytown area along the Monacacy. Either Carroll or Frederick would be fine for a farm. Was thinking about the Eastern Shore or North Carolina for a farm, but that might have to wait until retirement because it would involve way too much driving with way too many kids that are still very young.

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    I should have read closer. I sure know about losing places. No matter where or what you get its good that its different. I was at my last place over 30 years. A change is good. Keep us posted if you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom