• OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    never use the dang thing.

here are my thoughts:

-yeah .300 BLK only needs a 8" barrel but a 10.5" 5.56 fragments reliably

-subsonics are nice but an AR9 can do that cheaper

-yeah you can switch to subsonics if you want to be quiet suddenly...but if I'm ever in a hollywood zombie movie, I could just switch to my suppressed pistol instead

-cost, although cheap .300BLK Wolf is coming

-even if there is cheap .300 BLK plinking ammo soon, self defense expanding ammo is expensive to stock

-.300 BLK subsonic self defense ammo is near $1/round

-cheap, m193 5.56 works fine for self defense. same with 9mm subsonic HP's

-.300 BLK subsonics may have more energy, but unless you're using expensive bullets, they don't expand. 9mm subsonics are $.50/round and expand reliably.

-It's a cool gun, I love the concept, but it's expensive and I just doesn't get shot because I have too many other calibers to feed. I feel like a 5.56 AR pistol would actual get used often.

Now talk me out of it, and no "NEVER SELL GUNS ONLY BUY MORE" because I'm just using the money to fund another...so it's more like a trade...with myself. :D

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Unless you are arming a friend, already have more than you need but need the $, no time to sell any firearms right now.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Unless you are arming a friend, already have more than you need but need the $, no time to sell any firearms right now.

yeah yeah I may just do a barrel swap anyway. Don't worry about that. It will be immediately replaced with another 5.56. The difference is I have a mag or two of .300BLK and a plenty of 5.56.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I’m kind of in the same boat with my blackout uppers. It was all the rage for a while but with more and more availability of good AR9 components and getting more involved in PCC completions, I don’t shoot blackout much anymore. I bought in pretty big on the caliber with three uppers, case trimmer, and all the reloading supplies. I don’t have any real reason to sell stuff but I do understand situation.

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    First off I am a big fan of 300blk from a hunting point of view so I bought a decent stash of expanding super and subsonic rounds. Other than a few obligatory subsonic suppressed mag dumps I dont really plink with it due to cost. Long term I plan to reload for it but dont have time at this point in my life. So if you are not reloading and want it as a plinker I can see how it is not the right round for you. For me 300blk is a really practical round for both hunting and self defense and I see my 223 pistols as impractical things that dont get shot often.

Edit: For the current SHTF climate, Having the ability to carry 1 gun and 3 mags with different ammo (subsonic, ball, expanding) makes it a really versatile gun. Hopefully the current bug-in doesn't change to a bug-out that will require that versatility.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Do you suppress it? What's the barrel length?

I think you'll agree, if you don't suppress 300AAC, pretty much like kissing your sister.

That's why the round was developed(300 Whisper).

Made to poke big holes in people with little noise.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010

Yeah. 8.5" pistol

It's not as quiet as I had hoped. I feel like 9mm would do just as well.

First off I am a big fan of 300blk from a hunting point of view so I bought a decent stash of expanding super and subsonic rounds. Other than a few obligatory subsonic suppressed mag dumps I dont really plink with it due to cost. Long term I plan to reload for it but dont have time at this point in my life. So if you are not reloading and want it as a plinker I can see how it is not the right round for you. For me 300blk is a really practical round for both hunting and self defense and I see my 223 pistols as impractical things that dont get shot often.

Edit: For the current SHTF climate, Having the ability to carry 1 gun and 3 mags with different ammo (subsonic, ball, expanding) makes it a really versatile gun. Hopefully the current bug-in doesn't change to a bug-out that will require that versatility.

For hunting I actually wouldn't mind getting a bolt action .300 BLK. That would be pretty damn quiet suppressed. I wouldn't feel the need to stock a lot of ammo since it's not a semi. And PA doesn't allow big game hunting with semi anyway. Even so, I have other options for hunting.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If it were me I would just get a 10.5" barrel; less noise/blast for sure. I personally don't like intermediate rifles calibers out of anything shorter than 10.5 (18 for big rifle calibers like 308). If you want mostly a range toy and/or you like the 8.5" barrel, then 9 mm would be better.

For a bolt gun I'd say go 7.26x39; easy to suppress and cheap ammo.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Yeah. 8.5" pistol
    It's not as quiet as I had hoped. I feel like 9mm would do just as well.

I will also add; I saw a guy with a suppressed 300 Black; I am thinking it was not an SBR but definitely not 8.5", and with subs that thing was stupid quiet. I have a 30 cal can in jail so I don't have a lot of personal experience YET with 300 black suppressed. But having seen it in person, I was very impressed.

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    i'm just starting to come around to it. i know, late to the game. the way i see it is that my ar 556 pistol, currently cooling off from being selected from the litter would be my plinking/trainer. then my aero precision/bcm/SLGW/fill in the blank 300 upper would be swapped when back home and settled near my nightstand. and then obviously not to be further ostracized from the 300 crowd, get me a screw on attachment for sound abatement. which i probably should have just done yesterday whilst at a local shop.

am i wrong? is/are PCCs really taking off? if so, why isn't the Kriss Vector not more popular? is it because it's not in AR format and limited in interchange? does 9mm do what 300blk does from a ballistic profile? 55g vs 180g+ projectile, both cruising out the business end of a device. i'd say 180g is gonna need more than a band-aid. i don't want any 9mm holes in me ever by the way. i'm gonna think the 180g is the winner, no?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Ahem...:innocent0

Attachments

• blk.jpg
      blk.jpg
      208.7 KB · Views: 183

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty

Yea, suppressed is the main reason I got into 300blk. I was building a suppressed 45-70 which was not ready for hunting season so I picked up a cheap off the shelf threaded ruger american in 300blk to hold me over. I normally dont buy any "fad" rounds but I made an exception since it uses .223 brass with common .308 bullets. I was really surprised with the performance vs .308 for my 100m or less hunting. So i started stocking up and over the past few years I have picked up a rifle upper and 8.5' and 10" pistols. The 8.5" lives in my bedroom lockbox next to my HD shotgun.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    My M700 in 300BO weighs just as much as my .308 LTR and is half as capable. Unless it was dedicated to suppressed subsonics, I wouldn't hunt it at all.

Subsonics would definitely be the point. With no action noise it should be quiet as hell. But can use supers for game easily.

Yea, suppressed is the main reason I got into 300blk. I was building a suppressed 45-70 which was not ready for hunting season so I picked up a cheap off the shelf threaded ruger american in 300blk to hold me over. I normally dont buy any "fad" rounds but I made an exception since it uses .223 brass with common .308 bullets. I was really surprised with the performance vs .308 for my 100m or less hunting. So i started stocking up and over the past few years I have picked up a rifle upper and 8.5' and 10" pistols. The 8.5" lives in my bedroom lockbox next to my HD shotgun.

How do you like the bolt action .300 suppressed? Is it pretty damn quiet compared to a semi? I'm actually very interested in that setup, even if I sell my .300blk AR.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I will also add; I saw a guy with a suppressed 300 Black; I am thinking it was not an SBR but definitely not 8.5", and with subs that thing was stupid quiet. I have a 30 cal can in jail so I don't have a lot of personal experience YET with 300 black suppressed. But having seen it in person, I was very impressed.

I definitely don't have the quietest silencer, so that is part of the issue. I definitely don't consider it super quiet though.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Sell it, you can always build another one later if you change your mind.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Sub bullets suck for serious stopping power. They are just an ice pick. Some expand but so what, a 195 at 1050 fps. Why not shoot a 110 at 2300 fps. I think a 9mm at 1000 fps is better, as those bullets are designed to expand.

It's a cool round, but subs and supers dont share the same zero. I wouldn't sell it but if a guy dont have one, it's not the end of the world.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I'd get rid of it.

I think if the OP waits a couple weeks, he might be able to get a decent amount out of .300blk upper, ammo, etc. If someone else is paying for the ammo, I think it's a great cartridge to get into. Very versatile. Since I am paying for the ammo and don't reload, I'm not that interested. I'm more interested in what 6.5 Grendel can do for me than .300blk, as far as intermediate cartridges go.

I'll be interested to see what the price of steel cased subsonic and supersonic .300blk settles down to in a few years, but I can't see myself investing in it like I have 7.62x39. 7.62x39 is already cheap, and if enough steel cased subsonic ammo makes it into the U.S. to keep prices somewhat low, I definitely won't be interested in .300 BLK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom