• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks everyone.

I struggle with getting cold too. By about 9-930 in the stand two things start to happen. One is the shivering. Two is the need to go to the bathroom.

Sitting still isn't my main problem until those kick in.
    Two things I do to beat the 9 o'clock chills. First, I eat a small bag of pistachio nuts(I do that very slowly to avoid being picked off by deer) and later, if I'm still cold, I eat a Tootsie Pop. Between the two of those, the carbs go straight into generating heat.

Second. If you gotta go, go then. Piss is piss. It will not scare deer.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Oh, I have no issue peeing off the stand. But for some reason I always have to poop right around then.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Oh, I have no issue peeing off the stand. But for some reason I always have to poop right around then.
    Now that's a horse of a different color! :lol:
    And a particular pain in the rump if you hunt from a climber.

Normally, once I'm up, I good for the rest of the day. I just make sure I'm good and empty before going up the tree.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I struggle with getting cold too. By about 9-930 in the stand two things start to happen. One is the shivering. Two is the need to go to the bathroom.

#2 you need to work on your poop schedule. Eat before you leave and make a routine of dropping that deuce every morning with breakfast. Eating helps develop the required pressure. I used to work construction and you think a tree stand poop is a problem, try crapping in a porta potty that looks like someone sprayed refried beans all over. You'll get on schedule!

Where do you get cold from? I notice it from the legs. I carry my jacket and bib pants rolled on my pack pack so I don;t sweat on the way in. Cool in the stand and put them on if its cold enough after cooling and dehumidifying some. Sweat could be making you cold.

Also I use blanket boots, when cold, as the feet cool fast that anything. I also blouse my pants on my thighs and straighten my legs in the stand. Bending your legs tightens the fabric on the tops of your thighs, reduces the air cell space and you can feel that heat lose there. Using a turkey chair to deer hunt taught me my legs stay warmer straight than bent. Research shows bending your legs reduces blood flow and then warmth in them also.

Use hand warmers near your torso if you have too. You body will suck in the warmth and your blood with circulate it. A zippo hand warmer is awesome, but you need a breeze to blow away the smell as they would alert deer.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    For me, it’s almost all Realtree Hardwoods. I think Mossy Oak looks to dark, almost black at distance.
    Agreed, however I do like to use Mossy Oak on days after or during a rain before all the leaves fall, when the whole overall look to the woods is darker, just for that reason. I feel it’s pretty effective for that environment. Otherwise I prefer the Realtree Extra patterns (grey for treestand hunting, brown or green for ground). I still have and really like the older Realtree Advantage camo for an overall pattern, but especially in the Fall when the leaves turn and start falling, any sooner and it stands out too much against the darker green colors.

Last edited:

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    #2 you need to work on your poop schedule. Eat before you leave and make a routine of dropping that deuce every morning with breakfast. Eating helps develop the required pressure. I used to work construction and you think a tree stand poop is a problem, try crapping in a porta potty that looks like someone sprayed refried beans all over. You'll get on schedule!

Where do you get cold from? I notice it from the legs. I carry my jacket and bib pants rolled on my pack pack so I don;t sweat on the way in. Cool in the stand and put them on if its cold enough after cooling and dehumidifying some. Sweat could be making you cold.

Also I use blanket boots, when cold, as the feet cool fast that anything. I also blouse my pants on my thighs and straighten my legs in the stand. Bending your legs tightens the fabric on the tops of your thighs, reduces the air cell space and you can feel that heat lose there. Using a turkey chair to deer hunt taught me my legs stay warmer straight than bent. Research shows bending your legs reduces blood flow and then warmth in them also.

Use hand warmers near your torso if you have too. You body will suck in the warmth and your blood with circulate it. A zippo hand warmer is awesome, but you need a breeze to blow away the smell as they would alert deer.

The schedule is the hardest part, cause I normally don't go until after I've been at work a bit. Getting up, getting the kids ready and to daycare, doesn't leave time. I'll work on it before the fall.

You're spot on about legs and feet getting cold first. Maybe I'll cut up an old jacket to cover them or try the booties. Since I'm tall, my legs get extra cramped in the stand. Maybe I'll try to build a footrest or something.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    You're spot on about legs and feet getting cold first. Maybe I'll cut up an old jacket to cover them or try the booties. Since I'm tall, my legs get extra cramped in the stand. Maybe I'll try to build a footrest or something.

My buddy got a small wood blanket and just lays it over his legs and it makes a huge difference. You'd have to take it off bow hunting to shoot it or have a mid clip you could snap it to your harness or belt to not fall off to be seen.

The blanket boots are nice but a PITA to carry, but I couldn't hunt late winter without them. I cut a carabiner clip on the molle strap on my back back and clip them back them. They are so bulky to carry and the best way I have found yet.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Herter’s/Cabelas and Midway mostly. Some ACU/BDU stuff. Depends on the season, weather and mood. Generally realtree we’ve pattern for most of the fall and winter. Some spring/early season stuff in a more green pattern (can’t recall which one, mossyoak something or other). ACUs are in multicam. BDUs are good old NATO woodland pattern.

Typical for me is a t-shirt, long sleeve base layer and then a field jacket of some sort. Either fleece or parka over top of cold enough. If really cold a fleece and a parka. If super cold the field jacket gets left at home and I wear a wool sweater as a mid layer. Down below it’s usually just field pants for more temperate weather. Long underwear and field pants if cold. Insulated bibs if really cold.

My definition of really cold is if I am planning to sit for an hour or more and temperatures are below 25F the entire time. Or a several hour sit if below freezing.

Occasionally I’ll bring hot packs to toss in my boots or gloves if low 20s or colder and I am going to sit for hours.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I did finally get a snow camo pattern. Midway had a sale on their parkas and my
    Birthday discount stacked this time. So for $54, why not? I rarely hunt in snow, but it isn’t unheard of. I had some snow pattern covers for over my pants, but nothing up top.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    My buddy got a small wood blanket and just lays it over his legs and it makes a huge difference. You'd have to take it off bow hunting to shoot it or have a mid clip you could snap it to your harness or belt to not fall off to be seen.

The blanket boots are nice but a PITA to carry, but I couldn't hunt late winter without them. I cut a carabiner clip on the molle strap on my back back and clip them back them. They are so bulky to carry and the best way I have found yet.

My wife cut and edged a piece of wind stopper polartec 300.

I've used it as a sound damper on the floor of box blinds, quiet mat while sitting against a tree, a rolled up pillow when its time to take a nap and wrapped it around my boots/legs/head in the bitter cold. Packs relatively small and is a very versatile piece of kit.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Ultimate camo (made in usa) and some older scent lok stuff. Love the look of some of the pricerier sitka stuff but not going to fork over that kind of money for something made in a Chinese gulag. Have killed plenty of deer in jeans and a hoodie both in the tree and on the ground with bow. Scent and movement over expensive designer gear that support the communist party and military of china.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom