• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    I too was SBR carded at TMGN. It’s their business and I totally understand why they want to be sure the facilities aren’t used by a lawbreaker but I’ll be honest I did take a bit of offense to it given that I’m frequently up there with multiple SBR’s and suppressors and am well acquainted with several of the staff, particularly the owner. I’ll also admit that I politely reminded the particular RSO that it was law enforcement question and therefore outside their lane.

For what it’s worth I think this is largely an experience that is dependent on the personality of the individual you are dealing with. Like it or not some people will go overboard when given the slightest degree of authority.

I wonder if we are all talking about the same *one guy*?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Well, it is their business to run it how they see fit. However, it is also MY money to spend it where I see fit.

I do NOT go to a range to be lectured and carded.

Won't be going there, ever.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Well, it is their business to run it how they see fit. However, it is also MY money to spend it where I see fit.

I do NOT go to a range to be lectured and carded.

Won't be going there, ever.

Agreed. I'd be doing a quick 180 if I ever got questioned.

GuitarGuy

Nov 1, 2007
    Germantown, MD
    In all fairness to the particular RSO, the question that was posed was “...and you’ve got your paperwork right?”

I was slow to respond given my level of surprise. My response was simply “Yes I do, but I believe that’s a question limited to law enforcement jurisdiction isn’t it?”

The response I got was “...well we recently had a guy in here with an illegal SBR so we want to make sure we don’t have that again.”

Obviously that made several questions pop into my head but the bottom line is that it’s their range and if that’s their policy so be it. However my experience has been limited to a single RSO and a single occurrence. Furthermore I did not have to actually produce
    my paperwork nor would I in this case given no legitimate LEO request.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    In all fairness to the particular RSO, the question that was posed was “...and you’ve got your paperwork right?”

I was slow to respond given my level of surprise. My response was simply “Yes I do, but I believe that’s a question limited to law enforcement jurisdiction isn’t it?”

The response I got was “...well we recently had a guy in here with an illegal SBR so we want to make sure we don’t have that again.”

Obviously that made several questions pop into my head but the bottom line is that it’s their range and if that’s their policy so be it. However my experience has been limited to a single RSO and a single occurrence. Furthermore I did not have to actually produce
    my paperwork nor would I in this case given no legitimate LEO request.

So, they had someone with an "illegal" SBR, so what did they do? Call the ATF?
    Probably not.
    I think my response would be "Does the ATF require you to check paperwork?"
    What good is it if they are "illegal" and get nothing done about it?

Not that I have any NFA, but I'll never go there. They probably have some other ass hattery going on too.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    The "but we need to be sure no one is doing anything illegal on our range" argument is ********.

Do they stop every single person who comes to shoot there and ask them for papers, or an HQL, or whatever to make sure that they're not a prohibited person? Because that's a crime too. Do they stop people with now-banned "assault long guns" and make sure that they legally possessed them before 10/1/13? Because that's a crime too. I accept that it's their business to run as they see fit, and I accept that there's just always going to be a certain amount of general misunderstanding and fear, even among gun people, about NFA stuff, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to be complicit in it, or spend my money at places that are, either.

So, they had someone with an "illegal" SBR, so what did they do? Call the ATF?
    Probably not.
    I think my response would be "Does the ATF require you to check paperwork?"
    What good is it if they are "illegal" and get nothing done about it?

Not that I have any NFA, but I'll never go there. They probably have some other ass hattery going on too.

my curiosity is how did they determine it was illegal?

Not trying to sway your decision but so far I have not seen the ass hattery that I've seen and/or dealt with at other ranges, from the staff or guests. It's one of the few ranges where I feel relatively safe on the line with other shooters.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    The Machine Gun Nest asked to see the stamp for my .22 suppressor. I don’t think they asked for it for my SBS.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    The Machine Gun Nest asked to see the stamp for my .22 suppressor. I don’t think they asked for it for my SBS.

commercial or homemade?

I think it's ludicrous to ask to see a stamp for a commercial suppressor. How else do they think you got it?!?!?

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I don't see how any liability would be on the gun range anyway. So why do they even care?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    It's leftover fuddlore.

If they were legit worried about stuff like that, they would make everyone who showed up there to shoot any gun show them paperwork proving ownership, and that person wasn't a prohibited person, etc. How do they know that Joe who just walked in off the street to shoot a Glock he brought with him didn't steal it? How do they know that Jane with the S&W revolver isn't a felon and committing a crime on their range by having a gun there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom