• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    What flavor and grain 38 special ammo do you use in your 4” or smaller (snubbie) revolver for practitioners?

Thanks for your input.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    If you're practicing for self-defense use whatever you plan on using for that purpose. If just practice for the fun of it or a non-defense intended revolver use 148 grain wadcutters. Commercial reloads are fine for that as they're generally cheaper.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I'm a revolver guy and totally old school - 148 grain wadcutters. Something to remember, older fixed sighted S&W revolvers were regulated for 158 grain bullets, and while the 148 grain wadcutters work fine (that was the normal practice round), those 130 grain loads so common today will drive you crazy. Interesting trivia - some of the old timers used to load hollow-based wadcutters backwards (ala Webley Manstopper) and use them for short range defensive rounds - always sounded like a great idea for those 5-shooter Smiths like the 36, 49, 60, etc. Enjoy that revolver!

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I'm a revolver guy and totally old school - 148 grain wadcutters. Something to remember, older fixed sighted S&W revolvers were regulated for 158 grain bullets, and while the 148 grain wadcutters work fine (that was the normal practice round), those 130 grain loads so common today will drive you crazy. Interesting trivia - some of the old timers used to load hollow-based wadcutters backwards (ala Webley Manstopper) and use them for short range defensive rounds - always sounded like a great idea for those 5-shooter Smiths like the 36, 49, 60, etc. Enjoy that revolver!

I must be an old timer. I load the wadcutters backward and use them in a Ruger Security Six.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I must be an old timer. I load the wadcutters backward and use them in a Ruger Security Six.

I'm an "old timer" too and loving every minute of it..except when the back...or the knees...or the hips are acting up. I guess that's why they invented aspirin and scotch. Also, my old Model 49 (sure miss that gun) was often found loaded with inverted wadcutters when it rested in the nightstand.

And Shazam, 158 grain semi-wadcutters - very nice!

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I am an old timer, 62 qualifies, right? I remeber reading wet phone books, sawdust, water and gelatin testing revealed the backwards loaded HBWC collapsed as often as it exanded. I’ve always used defensive ammo and bullets for defensive applications. Thos work at any distance and maintain stable exterior and terminal ballstics.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm an old timer w/ revolvers , and I prefer the std vel 158gr . See above for default factory sight regulation .

In theory , a proper Keith SWC is best , but generic RN, swc, and RN/FP can all be suitably accurate . If double duty for small game ( or defense against feral/ rabid critters) , the swc or a blunt rnfp will be better . ( With the proliferation of cheap 130fmj ammo, 158gr lead is often seen in "cowboy" loads, with rnfp predominating for feeding in leverguns .)

Of course for 2 legged SD , use either 158gr LHP , or the high tech JHP of your preference .)

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    For range/plinking ammo I shoot WWB 130gr FMJ. For self defense purposes I would use Grizzly 158 grain LSWC-HP(Lead Semi Wadcutter-Hollow Point). I'm shooting an older Colt detective special with a 2" barrel. The pistol is not my primary defense or carry pistol (cant get a permit) but if I had to I want some good SD ammo for it.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Wadcutters all the way.

For SD, I'd use Buffalo Bore hardcast wadcutters, or their SWC hollow points. They also use low-flash powder to preserve your night vision.

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    Found some cheap (to me anyway) 38 special 158 grain round nose FMJ locally.
    Bought 250 just to shoot in my new to me used revolvers, and to make sure they are functioning correctly with no issues.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    I'm an old timer w/ revolvers , and I prefer the std vel 158gr . See above for default factory sight regulation .

In theory , a proper Keith SWC is best , but generic RN, swc, and RN/FP can all be suitably accurate . If double duty for small game ( or defense against feral/ rabid critters) , the swc or a blunt rnfp will be better . ( With the proliferation of cheap 130fmj ammo, 158gr lead is often seen in "cowboy" loads, with rnfp predominating for feeding in leverguns .)

Of course for 2 legged SD , use either 158gr LHP , or the high tech JHP of your preference .)

Old timers checking in...man
    yep flipped the 148WC backwards, did the "wet phone book thing"
    newspapers bundled up, used that process for a lot of handgun
    rounds, the good ole 2.7grs. Bullseye, 148gr. WC load, went to 158gr.
    SWC, 95gr JHP's.
    Good ole Elmer Keith (the man) that hat he wore, SWC "Keith style"
    bullets heavy loads in the revolvers, the way he shot like laying down"
    placing the revolver against his leg (think he wore "chaps")so he didn't
    burn through his leg.
    on another note:also back in I think the 80's they had "exploder bullets"
    in 45ACP and "tri or quad bullets" loaded in .357 mag. the 45 ones
    would just shred a 2x4. gotta look around at my old reloading spot
    in my parents basement.

-Rock

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics