• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    Probably not the best title. Anyhow my wife has a home daycare here in the great state of Maryland. The state inspector from OCC paid a visit to the home as happens every year however this year we were asked if there were weapons in the home. I don't remember being asked this in the past and the inspector seemed to imply that if we did happen to have any weapons in the home then we would not be able to continue our license for a family daycare. In fact part of our inspection report even declares: "Provider confirmed that there is no alcohol, smokers or weapons in the home. Provider is reminded to notify the OCC immediately of changes that might affect the status of the registration."
    Let's say that a provider did have firearms in the home that are safely stored in DOJ approved safes. Could they shut that daycare down?
    My wife has had a daycare for over 10 years now. We both hate this state and can't wait to escape!

*Note how the report says in the home as in the entire home.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    If you have firearms in your home/daycare, and your not supposed to have firearms in your home/daycare, seems like they would have the legal authority to shut you down.

Especially if there's a document stating you don't have alcohol, smokers, or firearms in your home/daycare.

IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    I would assume it would be pretty easy now for them just to query MSP's database and see exactly what registered handguns a citizen has. :) Man was it nice when people respected your privacy rights and you still had some shred of freedom left! :mad54:

Last edited:

IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    If it stated in the daycare area I would fully agree with you but how can they prohibit legal activity within someone's private residence that is not part of the specified areas of the licensed daycare? That's where I think there's a problem.

Last edited:

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Play word games.

Did he ask weapons or firearms?

My firearms COULD be a weapon IF I attacked someone with them, but until then they are sporting goods.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    If it stated in the daycare area I would fully agree with you but how can they prohibit legal activity within someone's private residence that is not part of the daycare? That's where I have the problem.

Are the kids in her care 100% contained to a dedicated daycare area?

Are the kids able to roam, allowed or not, into other portions of your home where firearms could be found?

Does the state consider your entire home to be the daycare center?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    You might want to check with a lawyer. Says on the MD family child care web site weapons need to be "inaccessible" along with "household cleansers, medicines, tools, sharp implements, weapons, and other
    harmful items under lock and key"

County may have more stringent rules.

Keep in mind, you have a constitutional right to self defense but not to run the business of your choice (sadly).

RedTide

The Water's Fine
    Jul 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    Code of Maryland Regulations (Last Updated: July 29,2016)
    Title 13A. State Board of Education
    Subtitle 15. FAMILY CHILD CARE
    Chapter 13A.15.10. Child Safety

.02 Potentially Hazardous Items.
    The provider shall properly store, and keep inaccessible to the children in care, all potentially harmful items, including, but not limited to, knives, sharp tools, firearms, matches, alcoholic beverages, petroleum, flammable products, cleaning agents, and poisonous products.

IANAL.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ridiculous. No smokers or alcohol or weapons?? All are perfectly legal.
    Stupid local .gov.

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    In all fairness the kids should have to bring their own alcohol, tobacco and firearms instead of having them furnished.
    We don’t want to raise another generation of entitled snowflakes.

A friend's wife on The Eastern Shore runs a home based daycare center. He is required to have all of his firearms in a locked safe that meets XYZ standards. His Stack On security cabinet didn't meet the requirements. The "good news" is the new fancy safe is considered a business expense, thus a tax write-off.

IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    Well that's another thing they didn't specify firearms, knives, machetes, etc.. they just stated weapons. I mean some large dogs could be considered weapons. My son has a baseball bat is that a weapon? It's just too broad. Either way I don't have any weapons in my home or at least I don't use anything in my home as such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom