Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old January 11th, 2019, 10:10 AM #1

Question Shooting coyote in Eastern Baltimore County?

Neighborhood "page" showed a guy with a coyote that he had shot on his property. This is residential property that backs up to a State Park, FWIW.

Several other people in the area, have also claimed to have seen one or two together, and as many as 8 in a group, in the same general area.

Where would one find the "rules" pertaining to when/where this is legal to do?

I agree with what was done, 100%, and hope he is within his rights to do what he did, but also can't help but wonder if the guy made a mistake.

I thought I read/saw somewhere about if they were seen "hunting" on your property, or harming you, your family, or your own animals, it was OK, but that may have been the cat thread, lol.
Attached Images

71Chevelle427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 10:16 AM #2

Discharging a firearm in most of Balco is verbotten big time...in fact i know a few bow hunters who were told by police that they couldn't even practice in their own yards. The proper procedure is to call DNR and let them handle it
Old January 11th, 2019, 10:17 AM #3
i pi

i pi

coyote hunting regs can be found on the DNR e-regs site (http://www.eregulations.com/maryland...easons-limits/). Basically: season is open 365 days. Night hunting as well during certain months (Oct-March).

There are coyotes in all counties now and they can be quite fearless walking around in the 'burbs on the street in full daylight.

As for methods, this will vary locally. Firearms restrictions in particular will vary county to county.

In Baltimore County IIRC its only illegal in the metropolitan district, and there is a shotgun exception for hunting too.

http://baltimoreco-md.elaws.us/code/...t2_sec17-2-101
danb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 10:27 AM #4

[QUOTE=danb;5441832]coyote hunting regs can be found on the DNR e-regs site. Basically: season is open 365 days. Night hunting as well during certain months.

There are coyotes in all counties now and they can be quite fearless walking around in the 'burbs on the street in full daylight.

As for methods, this will vary locally. Firearms restrictions in particular will vary county to county.[/]

I've often wondered why the DNR is attempting to protect an invasive apex predator that is non native and has no intrinsic value to the ecosystem. some of my hunting buddies theorize that yotes were purposely introduced to the state in hopes of controlling the deer population. I'm not sure if I believe that but it would explain why an invader like this would be given protection when other invasive species like snake heads, mitten crabs and zebra mussels are not only unprotected, but destruction when harvested is required. I'm an ethical hunter and follow the state's regulations to the letter, however the coyote regs are where the state and I part ways. I've found too many dead fawns on my hunting property to give yotes a pass when they are "out of season"...If I see one it's a dead one..they are most active at night, there is no reason to protect them during their active hours
Old January 11th, 2019, 10:27 AM #5
Grumpy Old Man

Grumpy Old Man

Read the DNR Coyote page pay particular attention to the Ecological Implications and Social Implications sections because they are here and this is what is going to happen.
https://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pa...ap/coyote.aspx

Open season all year long with no bag limit is not much "protection".
Blacksmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 10:31 AM #6
i pi

i pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muleskinner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by danb View Post
coyote hunting regs can be found on the DNR e-regs site. Basically: season is open 365 days. Night hunting as well during certain months.

As for methods, this will vary locally. Firearms restrictions in particular will vary county to county.
I've often wondered why the DNR is attempting to protect an invasive apex predator that is non native and has no intrinsic value to the ecosystem. some of my hunting buddies theorize that yotes were purposely introduced to the state in hopes of controlling the deer population. I'm not sure if I believe that but it would explain why an invader like this would be given protection when other invasive species like snake heads, mitten crabs and zebra mussels are not only unprotected, but destruction when harvested is required. I'm an ethical hunter and follow the state's regulations to the letter, however the coyote regs are where the state and I part ways. I've found too many dead fawns on my hunting property to give yotes a pass when they are "out of season"...If I see one it's a dead one..they are most active at night, there is no reason to protect them during their active hours
What protection? They are the only species that can be hunted year round (during daylight). That does not sound like protection to me! DNR is basically saying kill em all!

Tinfoil types dont think coyotes were introduced for deer, it was for nutria. If you believe such rumors.
Old January 11th, 2019, 10:34 AM #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksmith101 View Post
Read the DNR Coyote page pay particular attention to the Ecological Implications and Social Implications sections because they are here and this is what is going to happen.
https://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pa...ap/coyote.aspx

Open season all year long with no bag limit is not much "protection".
it is when they are active more than 80% at night and you legally can do nothing but look at them. They should be considered vermin and completely unprotected. They are non native and have no value..
Old January 11th, 2019, 10:36 AM #8

Nope , they migrated here on their own , coming up thru the Shenandoah Valley corridor .
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 10:37 AM #9
i pi

i pi

Oct 15-Mar-15 they can be hunted at night. Pretty sure this is the only species MD lets you hunt at night.
Old January 11th, 2019, 10:40 AM #10

Hmm. There are tons of protected deer in my area, due to the park being their home...I'm betting that is why the uptick of coyote sightings is happening.

Looks like I should maybe send the guy's wife a message and tell her it behooves them to remove their un-edited, easily identifiable photo from the internet.

The spot where this occurred is in a residential neighborhood, next to a state park.
71Chevelle427 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues