Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old January 7th, 2019, 09:50 AM #1

magazine limitations in md?

just checking, there are no magazine capacity restrictions (rifle or handgun) in maryland currently, is that right? buying 17 (or whatever) rounder handgun mags or 30 (or whatever) rounder AR mags in another state and bringing back and using in maryland is currently legal, right? a relative asked so figured i'd confirm, thanks.
davsco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2019, 09:51 AM #2

Correct, just cannot purchase/sell/transfer within Maryland. No ban on ownership... yet...
sinensis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2019, 03:44 PM #3

does this include .22LR magazines?
Old January 28th, 2019, 04:04 PM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorvogi View Post
Yes

Quote:
All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one.
daggo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2019, 05:09 PM #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorvogi View Post
Detachable mags, yes. .22 semi-auto rifles with tubular magazines are exempt
Member- Maryland Shall Issue
ROLL TIDE!!
rseymorejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2019, 07:40 AM #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rseymorejr View Post
Detachable mags, yes. .22 semi-auto rifles with tubular magazines are exempt
No they aren’t. 14 round limit (13?) on tube feed 22s. It isn’t blanket exempt. The original Marlin 60 had a 19 round tube (I think). So it wouldn’t be legal to transfer an original in the state. You could through FFLs outside of the state and bring it in.

Rimfire Firearms aren’t subject to assault weapon restrictions (over all length, flash suppressor, grenade launcher and folding stock restrictions).

It would be a bit stupid, but I have been wanting to build a 10/22 with a 6-8” barrel and folding stock and possibly flash hider suppressor host. By stupid I mean it seems stupid to spend that effort and $200 tax stamp for a Rimfire rifle. But I could have a wee little rifle then.

Only real reason I am interested in braces is those Glock drop in frames that B&T and others makes. Looks like tons of fun (or a Vz61 with a folding stock adapter and brace) b
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2019, 08:44 AM #7
The Leatherstocking

The Leatherstocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
No they aren’t.
Yes, they are.

MD Criminal Law, §4–305:

Quote:
§4–305.

(a) This section does not apply to:

(1) a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine; or

(2) a law enforcement officer or a person who retired in good standing from service with a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State, or any law enforcement agency in the State.

(b) A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

Quote:
14 round limit (13?) on tube feed 22s.
As above, tube fed .22s are exempt, period. Frankly, though, I can't think of a tube fed .22 that has a detachable magazine anyways, so why they had to make them exempt I don't know, since that section specifically applies to detachable magazines.

Quote:
The original Marlin 60 had a 19 round tube (I think). So it wouldn’t be legal to transfer an original in the state. You could through FFLs outside of the state and bring it in.
This is wrong, unless you can provide me a citation of something that I'm missing.

Quote:
It would be a bit stupid, but I have been wanting to build a 10/22 with a 6-8” barrel and folding stock and possibly flash hider suppressor host. By stupid I mean it seems stupid to spend that effort and $200 tax stamp for a Rimfire rifle. But I could have a wee little rifle then.
I don't think that would be stupid at all - I think it'd be a ton of fun! I've actually thought about registering my 10/22 Takedown as an SBR so I could put a Charger takedown front end on it for just that purpose.
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2019, 10:57 AM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Yes, they are.

MD Criminal Law, §4–305:

As above, tube fed .22s are exempt, period. Frankly, though, I can't think of a tube fed .22 that has a detachable magazine anyways, so why they had to make them exempt I don't know, since that section specifically applies to detachable magazines.

This is wrong, unless you can provide me a citation of something that I'm missing.

I don't think that would be stupid at all - I think it'd be a ton of fun! I've actually thought about registering my 10/22 Takedown as an SBR so I could put a Charger takedown front end on it for just that purpose.
Dang it, you are right! I swear to god I remember reading there was a capacity restriction for internal mag firearms that DID apply to rimfires.

Law is clear it is only centerfire internal mags that are limited to 10 (maybe I am thinking of some other stupid state's laws that limits to 13 or 14. Maybe it was NJ when they were only partly retarded and then went full retard over the last 10-20 years).

My bigger thing is the SBR restrictions to me are a pain. It does evade the 29" OAL restrictions for MD, which is nice. Maybe some year if my wife loosens up a little I will do my next 10/22 project as an SBR. A take-down would be cool. A take-down, with a folding stock, 6" barrel and a suppressor.

OH! or see if you can find a take down with a handguard that will accept the suppressor inside the handguard.

My dream SBR is still a Vz61. Not ever in MD with that OAL restriction

One that is bastardized with an AR folding adapter and a brace would be "okay" also.

Which makes me wonder still if anyone has made a 22lr Vz61.

Also why I am curious on the brace chassis for Glocks. Not really the same thing at all, but similarish concept of an itty bitty PDW using a pistol caliber. AR pistols just don't float my boat. Had one, I see the usefulness and a pistol caliber one would be better than the .223 one I had, but I just don't like the format in general as a pistol or even really small SBR. Which I guess is odd, because I LOVE my ARs in "big boy" sizes. I think some of it is that with the buffer tube and the size of the receiver it just isn't all that compact compared to a real PDW or pistol in a PDW chassis.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2019, 02:23 PM #9
Crank in the Third Row

Crank in the Third Row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Yes, they are.

MD Criminal Law, §4–305:

As above, tube fed .22s are exempt, period. Frankly, though, I can't think of a tube fed .22 that has a detachable magazine anyways, so why they had to make them exempt I don't know, since that section specifically applies to detachable magazines...
It sure wasn't because they were late for their Mensa meeting, that's certain.

Dark to Light; sheep no more. WWG1WGA WWNC
#MorePatriotsThanHandcuffs
BeoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2019, 02:51 PM #10
Banned

Banned

The Marlin 60 went from 18rds to 14rds for NJ law years ago. There are several states now with Bills, if passed would limit tube fed rimfire to 10 rounds.
Schipperke is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues