• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gorba

Deplorable Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 24, 2018
    Annapolis
    Fearing I would fall behind Mr. Ed in the toy acquisition area, I decided to go ahead and apply for the MD HQL so I'd have it when needed. I'm sort of a computer nerd but, I've gotta' tell you, that MSP website is a morass for the uninitiated, or the impatient. (Like me) I finished the process with a visit to get LiveScan fingerprints this morning where I was advised to consider a career in safe cracking since my fingerprints have all but disappeared. I'm considering it. Anyway, I completed the process with MSP and pushed SUBMIT. I'll re-post when/if I receive the HQL. Incidentally, the LiveScan folks collected $58 from me and, of course, the MSP took their $50. $108 bucks to the state JUST TO EXERCISE MY CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT UNDER 2A! Oh, and before you ask, I was exempt from the training school expense since I had a DD-214 to upload. That upload is a story for another time.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I admit it... it's all my fault. I let Gorba shoot my newest acquisition, a Springfield Saint pistol in 5.56, and it was lust at first blast. I don't think many kids at Christmas have as much fun, or as big a smile on their faces as he did.

So, the arms race is on, eh? :innocent0

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    As with most government websites (especially state and local) the MSP site is horrible.

LiveScan seems to have issues with everyone. The person in front of me when I had mine done had to do each finger multiple times because it kept screwing up. When I did mine I had to redo 4 fingers because of it. It's like the scanner needs to be just a little bigger and a little more sensitive. The woman taking my prints was really pressing down on my fingers to get the scanner to read them.

Good news is if you don't have any issues pop up while they do their checks you could be approved by Friday and have your HQL next week. Mine was submitted last Tuesday evening, some of the checklist was completed Wednesday, I checked at 9am on Thursday to find that it was completed and I was approved. I received my card yesterday and celebrated by immediately ordering a handgun.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Went thru the same rigmarole when I got mine in 2014. Took over an hour just to upload a pdf of my DD-214 but, once I did the fingerprinting I received my HQL card in 8 days.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    When I had my Livescan done, the problem was me helping the technician; I was pressing and rolling with what I thought was the right time and pressure. It wasn't. Its better just to relax your hand and let the scanner do the work.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Gorba should also become a MD designated firearms collector. This removes the limits on handgun acquisitions. Otherwise, one must wait 30 days between handgun purchases (or can buy 2 and wait 60 days). Without the collector status, I doubt it would be a fair arms race with Mr. Ed.

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Pages/CriminalInvestigationBureau/LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmsCollectors.aspx

That's funny right there! :lol2:

I hadn't mentioned the DC designation to Gorba yet, so thank you for doing it for me. :party29:

Gorba

Deplorable Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 24, 2018
    Annapolis
    No, Threeband. No visit from any mysterious women in MB's yet but thanks for the heads up. I'll take a quick shower and listen for the doorbell.

Gorba

Deplorable Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 24, 2018
    Annapolis
    HQL Approved

Just a short follow up. The HQL application which I submitted online on Sept 5th was approved on September 7th. I admit I'm quite surprised. Now, of course, I must wait for the mailman to bring it.

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    It’s very likely that you should find it in your mail today or tomorrow. They usually mail them out on Friday’s. Mine was approved on 8/30, mailed 8/31, and I had it on 9/4 due to Labor Day.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Wouldn't it be an unusual turn of events if the MSP LD was actually faster than the USPS? Of course, that's not much of a hurdle. :lol2:

Gorba

Deplorable Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 24, 2018
    Annapolis
    I feel sorely cheated! I never got the visit from the mysterious woman in the Mercedes. MSP must be shortening the process. Drat!

Gorba

Deplorable Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 24, 2018
    Annapolis
    Just to finish up this thread. My HQL arrived in the mail on Saturday the 15th. I pushed the SEND button on the application on the morning of the 5th so - ten days between submission of the application and the arrival of the HQL. Now that I have it in my hot little hand, I feel compelled to buy something. Can I live without a Springfield Saint?

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Just to finish up this thread. My HQL arrived in the mail on Saturday the 15th. I pushed the SEND button on the application on the morning of the 5th so - ten days between submission of the application and the arrival of the HQL. Now that I have it in my hot little hand, I feel compelled to buy something. Can I live without a Springfield Saint?

Sure you can, but the question is "How Long will you?" :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom