• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    It's been a tick since i took my evaluation/test and now someone's asking me what's involved. Can someone post what the LIVE FIRE portion is like? I'm not talking about the classroom stuff, just whats the "live fire evaluation" part?

1 at 3 yards w/in 2 seconds
    1 round at 5 yards in 3 seconds

etc etc... w/e that part is.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    According to the MSP: "Designated security personnel (security guards, private detectives, special police, and armored car drivers/guards) must shoot a practical police course of at least 50 rounds, from no further than 25 yards and score at least 70% accuracy.

All other applicants must shoot a course of at least 25 rounds, from no further than 15 yards and score at least 70% accuracy."

In my class, we shot practice tests several times as part of the instruction and warm-up, and then eventually got around to the "real" test. Went through 200 rounds, in our case. But I'm sure there are courses where they do the bare minimum, too. We were shooting at standard torso-sized silhouettes at an indoor range. Targets started edge-on, flipped to expose for a few seconds to take three rounds, flipped to hide again, then flipped back for another two rounds. So, mags were always loaded with 5. Did this 5 times for the required 25 rounds, and shot at 7, 12, and 15 yards.

1ceman

Dec 26, 2013
    According to the MSP: "Designated security personnel (security guards, private detectives, special police, and armored car drivers/guards) must shoot a practical police course of at least 50 rounds, from no further than 25 yards and score at least 70% accuracy.

All other applicants must shoot a course of at least 25 rounds, from no further than 15 yards and score at least 70% accuracy."

In my class, we shot practice tests several times as part of the instruction and warm-up, and then eventually got around to the "real" test. Went through 200 rounds, in our case. But I'm sure there are courses where they do the bare minimum, too. We were shooting at standard torso-sized silhouettes at an indoor range. Targets started edge-on, flipped to expose for a few seconds to take three rounds, flipped to hide again, then flipped back for another two rounds. So, mags were always loaded with 5. Did this 5 times for the required 25 rounds, and shot at 7, 12, and 15 yards.
    Same here. We did the same warm up, same mag loads, same targets, and same distance.
    Only difference was we did not use the "edge-on" and flipped for my Md. He timed the groups of rounds and had me holster in between. Dont worry, there is usually PLENTY of time to acquire the target and get a good shot. But , I always recommend PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Same here. I'd say expect to shoot more than what is "required". If you are part of a small group it will probably be a relatively relaxed process.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    ya. when i did mine it was 1:1 w/ the instructor. He made the PRACTICE, much harder than the exam/evaluation. He cut the allowed time in half, or wanted double the rounds. his theory was that if i could do that or close to it.. then the exam itself would be laughable (while still being very serious obviously). We shot while moving, taking cover, "falling". We also used a timer because the target was there all the time. for practice, it was 2 rounds in 2 seconds at 5 yards. now.. i practice drawing and doing 3 shots in 2 seconds center mass.

I'm not worried about passing it myself, this is for a friend.. no really! ahha

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    The last Maryland range qualification I had was with a group of 20, instructor had five on the range at a time. Two students had never fired a pistol, didn't own a pistol. Pistols and ammo provided for the test. No practice, just at end of day, take your shots. Everyone passed. The 16 hour class, applicants receive Certificates to cover all three jurisdictions (MD, D.C. & VA). Cost is $200 and includes guns and ammo if you like. MDS Industry Partner

I needed a DC full course, and needed a certificate for MD renewal. Other instructor in my area was doing DC classes, for $275 and when I asked if he'd give me a certificate or add on for Maryland they wanted an extra $150.

My first qualification, was with instructors pro Constitutional Carry. The irony there was they made qualifying well beyond what is required. No one was being tested for security. The test required draw from concealed holster and timed as it would be from low ready. It was 50 rounds too. Only rounds inside the rings were scored. Some failed. So much for pro Constitutional Carry, make the qualification harder than required.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    This is freaking ridiculous. Who were these turds? :mad54:

Like most laws, its not about protecting, it's creating a provider class.
    - MHIC licensing and testing
    - Lead abatement inspectors
    - Rental property registrations/inspection
    - Freon availability/prohibitions
    - CCW class providers
    - Farm use vehicle registrations
    - ATV/UTV off road permits
    All these involve creating and office, hiring staff, and charging the public. Added value just isn't a consideration.

sleepingdino

Mar 13, 2013
    People's Republic of Mont Co
    Mine was at MSAR. 25 shots, no practice, no timer, no problem.

There were security guards there also and they had to draw from a holster. Some of them could barely hit the target but most of the shots are close, so they passed also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Mine was at MSAR. 25 shots, no practice, no timer, no problem.

There were security guards there also and they had to draw from a holster. Some of them could barely hit the target but most of the shots are close, so they passed also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, that is ATC at MSAR. Very good deal. When offered gun and ammo at the $200 fee, that was a bonus. It was a pretty worn Glock, with no issues..

kbuddy

Jun 20, 2008
    Calvert Co.
    The qualification course of fire for MD wear and carry is 25 rounds total scored on the B-27 full-size silhouette target. If you’re in the black, 5 points. Anything else, 0 points. Min passing score is 90 points, or 18 out of 25 in the black. All starts at the low ready.
    1) 3 yds, two handed, 1 round in 3 sec. Repeat for 5 total.
    2) 5 yds, two handed, 2 rounds in 5 sec. Repeat for 4 total. 1 round in 3 sec, 2 times total. (10 rounds total).
    3) 7 yds, two handed, 2 rounds in 5 sec. Repeat for 2 total. 1 round in 3 seconds.
    4) 15 yds, two handed, 1 round in 6 seconds. Repeat for 5 total.
    Hope this helps,
    —Ken

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    The qualification course of fire for MD wear and carry is 25 rounds total scored on the B-27 full-size silhouette target. If you’re in the black, 5 points. Anything else, 0 points. Min passing score is 90 points, or 18 out of 25 in the black. All starts at the low ready.
    1) 3 yds, two handed, 1 round in 3 sec. Repeat for 5 total.
    2) 5 yds, two handed, 2 rounds in 5 sec. Repeat for 4 total. 1 round in 3 sec, 2 times total. (10 rounds total).
    3) 7 yds, two handed, 2 rounds in 5 sec. Repeat for 2 total. 1 round in 3 seconds.
    4) 15 yds, two handed, 1 round in 6 seconds. Repeat for 5 total.
    Hope this helps,
    —Ken

YES! This.. is EXACTLY what i was looking for! Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom