• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Digby

Feb 19, 2014
    Western Howard County
    Gentlemen
    I have a question about the MSP 77r in relation to purchasing an AR-15 lower. I spoke to my FFL dealer and he advises that the lower is a registered firearm, and that in order to purchase one, I must fill out the MSP 77r at his shop and that he will then fax the completed 77r to the MSP. After the appropriate waiting period and assuming I am not disapproved, I can go back and pick up my AR15 lower.

So, I downloaded a copy of the 77r to familiarize myself with it and here is where I have a question. In Part 2, Section 1, the 77r asks for Transferee (Purchaser) Voluntary Registrant Information. This section requires the applicant to indicate, by checking the appropriate box, whether he/she:
    • has completed a Certified Firearms Training Course;
    • is a LEO;
    • possesses a valid handgun permit;
    • is a member, retired member, or honorably discharged member of the Armed Forces;
    • or has completed a DNR Hunting and Firearms Training course.

My question is this. In order to be approved, does an applicant have to indicate that he/she falls within at least one of these categories? What if the applicant (me) cannot claim that he falls within any of these groups? Is this section simply collecting data about the applicant, or is it establishing some minimum criteria that must be met in order to be approved?
    Thanks for any help!

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Are you sure that you are looking at the current one? It seems as if you are looking at one from before 2013, because all that was required back then was the online course from MSP that you could take for free.

For the frame of a firearm, none of that stuff matters. MSP is just acting douchenozzley, because they want to keep track of all the scary stripped firearms frames and compile a database of pre-ban and post-ban receivers. A 77r should not be required for the frame/receiver of a firearm.

Just wait till you find out about the part where you sign away your HIPPA rights, so they can do a check of the mental health databases.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    To purchase a "handgun" in MD, you've gotta have a Handgun Qualification License (HQL) or meet one of the equivalency requirements cited in your post.
    For a rifle, the HQL's not required.

torched02

Rottie's Rule!
    May 6, 2013
    Gentlemen
    I have a question about the MSP 77r in relation to purchasing an AR-15 lower. I spoke to my FFL dealer and he advises that the lower is a registered firearm, and that in order to purchase one, I must fill out the MSP 77r at his shop and that he will then fax the completed 77r to the MSP. After the appropriate waiting period and assuming I am not disapproved, I can go back and pick up my AR15 lower.

So, I downloaded a copy of the 77r to familiarize myself with it and here is where I have a question. In Part 2, Section 1, the 77r asks for Transferee (Purchaser) Voluntary Registrant Information. This section requires the applicant to indicate, by checking the appropriate box, whether he/she:
    • has completed a Certified Firearms Training Course;
    • is a LEO;
    • possesses a valid handgun permit;
    • is a member, retired member, or honorably discharged member of the Armed Forces;
    • or has completed a DNR Hunting and Firearms Training course.

My question is this. In order to be approved, does an applicant have to indicate that he/she falls within at least one of these categories? What if the applicant (me) cannot claim that he falls within any of these groups? Is this section simply collecting data about the applicant, or is it establishing some minimum criteria that must be met in order to be approved?
    Thanks for any help!

You sir are looking at an old copy of a 77r page 1 part 1........The current one states (after 10/01/13:

1.HQL License #(Needed for all except as follows)
    Exceptions to the HQL are.........

A licensed Firearms Manufacturer
    LEO (current or retired)
    Active Military or National Guard retired in good standing
    Person purchasing, renting or receiving an antique, curio or relic as defined in Federal Law by BATF.

torched02

Rottie's Rule!
    May 6, 2013
    The above applies to MSP regulated firearms purchased (meaning handguns) Ar-15's were part of this category until they were banned on 10/01/13.
    This also considers serialized lowers as a regulated firearm, same as a handgun.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Or buy a cheap HBAR C&C, sell off the parts and buy replacement parts that meet your needs. Just another option!

If you follow this route, you will not be allowed to build it into a pistol. An AR pistol must always start out as a pistol from it"s inception. It can be converted into a rifle at a later date(even ten minutes later), but if it starts out as a rifle, it can never be converted into a pistol. Just an FYI.

torched02

Rottie's Rule!
    May 6, 2013
    so if I understand you correctly the new lower recently purchased can be built as a pistol?

Yes. The lower is a regulated item with a serial # just like a handgun. You send the 77r paperwork into MSP, and as long as you come back approved (not-disapproved) Lol.......you are good to go on your pistol build.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    If you follow this route, you will not be allowed to build it into a pistol. An AR pistol must always start out as a pistol from it"s inception. It can be converted into a rifle at a later date(even ten minutes later), but if it starts out as a rifle, it can never be converted into a pistol. Just an FYI.

No one mentioned using this lower to build a pistol. But you are correct.

altima98

Apr 6, 2008
    This is my understanding and YMMV and IANAL and not an FFL holder or agent of MSP .....:innocent0

77R transferred "other" lowers can be built to pistol or HBAR rifles, pistol should be first so you can go back an forth.

4473 only Transferred "other" Lowers can only built into HBAR rifles and few if any FFL's will transfer only 4473

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom