• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    The gun control crowd could not be any more shameful than they have been in the past few days. While the rest of us are feeling shocked and saddened by these events the gun control advocates are overjoyed because it’s an opportunity to profit from fear and sorrow. I know several people who received an Email from the Brady Campaign asking for money just after the VT shootings happened. THE BODIES WERE STILL IN THE HALLS and they were asking for money and spewing their political nonsense. They are disgraceful and should be ashamed. I watched an interview were a gun grabber was actually smiling while talking about the VT shootings But we the “gun nuts” are the Evil ones right?

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Yeah, it's kind of like déjà vu from the Maryland sniper shootings, eh? The same people who were using the incident to exploit the gun issue were the same ones who did everything they could to divert attention from the shooters being Islamic terrorists.

Strange, the shooters in both incidents were foreign nationals. Should anyone be talking about that?

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    Strange, the shooters in both incidents were foreign nationals. Should anyone be talking about that?

In Cho's case, it would be very hard to argue much given his length of residency. Being a resident alien that long is long enough for naturalization if one takes the time and spends the not insignificant sum of money for it. Cho is a freak in many ways and attempting to curtail what legal aliens with similar lengths of residence can do would be penalizing the aliens that we don't want to kick out for the actions of one nutjob.

SamW

Apr 2, 2007
    Western Md
    The gun control crowd will use anything they can latch onto to promote there agenda, and yes, come next January when the Maryland legislature is back in session it will be another blitz against our gun rights.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I'm not talking about throwing foreign nationals out, but shouldn't we require people to be citizens before letting them own firearms?

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    I'm not talking about throwing foreign nationals out, but shouldn't we require people to be citizens before letting them own firearms?

I have two things to bring up on this that you may not have considered yet, one constitutional, the other practical.

The first is that none of the amendments specify citizens specifically, only the people. Given that we don't require our residents to be citizens to be able to exercise free speech, be granted due process of law, not have to house soldiers, etc., we'd be shooting ourselves in the foot by suddenly making the 2nd amendment not universal like the rest.

The practical matter is that it's not a quick process to get naturalized as a citizen. We're talking about years of residency first. That's plenty of time for someone to get into trouble. Then there's also having to pay all the fees for the forms and tests you need to take. I know that one of those forms required alone requires $400 to get. A resident alien that's having some financial issues may not be able to afford either the stuff he needs to get naturalized immediately or to move out of a bad neighborhood. Having an inexpensive firearm may be very necessary for a citizen in a similar situation, but a resident alien may attract even additional trouble by simply being different. Think back to the LA riots and remember how there was racial conflict between black rioters and Korean storeowners. It's quite likely that some of those storeowners that had to defend their property with firearms were not fully naturalized yet and obviously in that situation the police can't provide protection.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Miss America 1944

:thumbsup: Armed Miss America 1944 Stops Intruder

Miss America 1944 has a talent that likely has never appeared on a beauty pageant stage: She fired a handgun to shoot out a vehicle's tires and stop an intruder. Venus Ramey, 82, confronted a man on her farm in south-central Kentucky last week after she saw her dog run into a storage building where thieves had previously made off with old farm equipment.

Ramey said the man told her he would leave. "I said, 'Oh, no you won't,' and I shot their tires so they couldn't leave," Ramey said.

She had to balance on her walker as she pulled out a snub-nosed .38-caliber handgun.

"I didn't even think twice. I just went and did it," she said. "If they'd even dared come close to me, they'd be 6 feet under by now."

Ramey then flagged down a passing motorist, who called 911.

Curtis Parrish of Ohio was charged with misdemeanor trespassing, Deputy Dan Gilliam said. The man's hometown wasn't immediately available. Three other people were questioned but were not arrested.

After winning the pageant with her singing, dancing and comedic talents, Ramey sold war bonds and her picture was adorned on a B-17 that made missions over Germany in World War II, according to the Miss America Web site.

Ramey lived in Cincinnati for several years and was instrumental in helping rejuvenate Over-the-Rhine historic buildings. She returned to Kentucky in 1990 to live on her farm.

"I'm trying to live a quiet, peaceful life and stay out of trouble, and all it is, is one thing after another," she said.

Way to go :thumbsup:

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Unfortunately, the sad truth is, if she did that in Maryland, she'd be charged with a crime (Most definitely Baltimore City. Only criminals are allowed to discharge firearms in the city.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom