• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kdmag88

Jan 10, 2018
    Hello all,

So my wife and I needed to buy stuff for softball recently and of course, she wanted to go to Dicks. I put my foot down and said I will not spend a single dime there, and explained to her how they discriminate against not only gun owners, but youths as well. While she did not agree with me and kinda argued against me(leans anti-gun for sure), she did agree not to shop there, but only because I said so, not because of the underlying issue.

Anyways, I had always felt that not shopping there would have an impact, that others like me would add up. But after that discussion, I looked up the stocks of Dicks, and I was shocked. It seems like they made their comments late Feb 2018, and I see no big drop since then, even a small rise as an overall trend. They have had much lower dips in their history that's for sure.

Is there another way to gauge a companies worth that may show a drop? Or are we such a small factor it doesn't even matter? Just sucks, I'm mostly just venting honestly, but would like to know I'm not alone in the fight, and hopefully are making a difference.

Attachments

• Screenshot (590).png
      Screenshot (590).png
      28.1 KB · Views: 2,137

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    You are definitely not alone. My wife has vowed never to set foot in one of their stores ever again. I left myself a little wiggle room. I might go in to use the bathroom, but I'm surely not going to buy anything.

As to making a difference...well, that may depend on how much of their TP I can waste :shrug:

CrabcakesAndFootball

Jun 14, 2017
    Doesn’t shock me. This forum self-selects for politically tuned in gun owners. Wouldn’t surprise me if a lot of 2A friendly folks had no idea about Dicks. Wouldn’t sweat whether you’re making a difference; as long as you are spending your dollars with companies you like, I think that’s enough to sleep well at night.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Some of their financials don't look too good without going into much depth.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 11.59.47 PM.png
      Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 11.59.47 PM.png
      10.9 KB · Views: 1,978

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Some of their financials don't look too good without going into much depth.
    They look fine for the retail sector. And their stock looks fine too.

It is a mistake for us to be thinking there is any way to gauge an effect by gun owners who care about the fact that Dicks is lobbying for more gun control and are not shopping there.

there is simply too much else going on, on the positive side the fact that they have clobbered the big box sports sector and are last man standing; and on the negative side, the fact that they are getting hammered by Amazon on many items.

Those are all profoundly bigger impacts than some of us boycotting or on the other side "goodwill" from the gun grabbers.

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    You are definitely not alone. My wife has vowed never to set foot in one of their stores ever again. I left myself a little wiggle room. I might go in to use the bathroom, but I'm surely not going to buy anything.

As to making a difference...well, that may depend on how much of their TP I can waste :shrug:

As long as it's for a nice steaming dump, I'm in too!

While I and many others won't actually shop there, I think they've increased advertising on 'sports' equipment to help cover their losses. We just have to do what we can to support the right companies, and try to get others to do the same.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker

Take a dump in a Yeti Cooler that way you have a Two'fer :innocent0

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Besides the numbers, 75% of the time I hear dicks mentioned on business channels, even cnbc, their choice to remove rifles is narrowed to being against hunters. You are not alone.
    On occasion I can find prices cheaper through them than anywhere, using activejunky/raise/sales, and if this shows me they will not make a given percentage on an item I might just make that purchase/steal from them. Kind of related to a double decker w/xtra paper :lol2: wtf K31, thanks for the laugh to start my day!

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    From what I've heard (someone verify or dispute this please), many Dicks locations are doing away with outdoor gear altogether, and thus following the path of Sports Authority.
    Yes, I have heard this mentioned as an after thought to their hunter relations going down, they do great with soccer moms so their stock may survive.

Rangeman

Mar 1, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    I heard that earlier this month their was a big article in the Post regarding all they have done, including the CEO going to Capital Hill and seeing Legislators to pass new laws too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom