• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I am looking for experience and recommendations for my first rimfire suppressor. I have been shopping around on Silencer shop and would like to buy from them. Anyone have any suggestions? My plan is to use the suppressor on my Ruger Mark IV 22/45, and have my Savage 93G threaded. I'm sure I will add more to the mix once I have the can. The only stipulation is that it needs to be able to handle 22 Mag and 17 HMR if possible.

What say you? Any opinions would be great as this is my first suppressor and I have no real world experience with them.

solarpower44

Feb 2, 2016
    Glenelg MD
    Last year I got a ruger silent sr. It was a bit more expensive than other 22 suppressors but the quality is outstanding. The case is made with titanium and baffles are stainless steel. It’s easy to clean. I mostly use it with 10 22 and sr22 and it’s sooooo quiet.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I bought a Rugged Oculus for that same pistol, and it works very well. Quiet, easy to maintain (considering the ugliness that shows up in ALL rimfire cans). Have used a variety of standard, high velocity, and subsonic ammo on the MKIV with the Oculus mounted, and it cycles every time. Accuracy doesn't seem to be noticeably impacted, and no first-round-pop of note. It's a solid choice, though a little more expensive than some others.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Buy once, cry once really applies here. Do your research. Make sure what ever you get is easily cleaned. Meaning you can tumble, use the dip or ultrasound cleaner. Monocores tend to have a louder FRP than baffled cans. You will get a bazillion suggestions for this can or that can. Going back over the years, I will not buy an aluminum can again, unless it was a specific need and nothing else was available.
    All that said look at the offerings from:
    Rugged
    Dead Air
    Silencer Co.
    Q
    Gemtech....

Find one that interests you and start asking questions on here, AFRCOM and SilencerTalk. The Silencershop is a great place to research as well. Go to an IP and fondle some.
    My personal favs are Spectre II, Mask, Oculus. I have one from a local (PA) SOT, Freedom Armory, as well that I really enjoy.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Thanks so far guys. Keep em coming. I have been considering the Q stuff and the Gemtech so far. But all of the other suggestions are making me wonder if more research is needed.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Buy once, cry once really applies here. Do your research. Make sure what ever you get is easily cleaned. Meaning you can tumble, use the dip or ultrasound cleaner. Monocores tend to have a louder FRP than baffled cans. You will get a bazillion suggestions for this can or that can. Going back over the years, I will not buy an aluminum can again, unless it was a specific need and nothing else was available.
    All that said look at the offerings from:
    Rugged
    Dead Air
    Silencer Co.
    Q
    Gemtech....

Find one that interests you and start asking questions on here, AFRCOM and SilencerTalk. The Silencershop is a great place to research as well. Go to an IP and fondle some.
    My personal favs are Spectre II, Mask, Oculus. I have one from a local (PA) SOT, Freedom Armory, as well that I really enjoy.

I'll second this post. Avoid aluminum if at all possible. Baffle stacks are much easier to clean than monocores and you will be cleaning it a lot.

Any suppressor made by a reputable manufacturer will do a great job for you. I have a Spectre ii and a Mask because that's what I wanted.

I would never pay more than $400 for a rinfire suppressor. Above that and you get into the ones that are modular or the hot new thing.

Good luck on your search. They are a lot of fun.

89BSP

Jun 12, 2013
    Allegany County
    I went with a Griffin Checkmate QD because I liked the 3 lug quick release that makes it easy to switch between different hosts.

They used to be baffle stack a few years back, but are currently made in a monocore.

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    I just went through this exercise. First everything not "dippable" was ruled out. Then I broke down the playing field into 3 categories that I was interested in.

1) Heavy Duty
    - Griffin Optimus Micro (supports 223)
    2) Multi length
    -Rugged Oculus
    -SilencerCo Switchback
    -Q Erector
    3) Light Weight
    -SilencerCo Warlock 3oz
    -AAC Element 4.1oz
    -Q El Camino 4.3oz

For me it came down to the Optimus vs Oculus, and I thought I would get more use out of the multi-length feature, so i bought the Oculus. I have not shot it yet, but I have held it, it is pretty light in the hand. I doubt the fullsize length with interfere too much on a mk4, and if it does, there is always the short length.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I’ve looked into pretty much every suggestion. Apparently MDS have about every rimfire suppressor available after reading this. Still looking around. Does anyone have any negative experiences with a specific model?

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    A good friend has the Q Erector. Really neat can. I would not get that for my first can though. I came really close to getting one, but got a smoking blowout deal on an El Camino thats in jail.
    As for negative comments on any can, that can be subjective. As I stated, no mo aluminum or mono for me for rimfire.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    A good friend has the Q Erector. Really neat can. I would not get that for my first can though. I came really close to getting one, but got a smoking blowout deal on an El Camino thats in jail.
    As for negative comments on any can, that can be subjective. As I stated, no mo aluminum or mono for me for rimfire.

I am leaning to the El Camino as well. It is light, Stainless, and supports the 22 mag and 17 HMR. Not a bad price right now either.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I ended up with the Gemtech.

Nice, inexpensive. I was also buying 2x centerfire cans at the same time. :D

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    just started process two weeks ago on the Switchback 22. Good price from United Gun Shop. Then got an Omega 7.62 like three days later. haha. Been hanging around Outrider58 too much.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I’m placing the order for a Q El Camino tomorrow. Good price on Silencer Shop and loving the easy kiosk thing. Next step after the order will be sending my 22/45 out for threading and to have the sight moved back to the proper position.

I know once I get a rimfire can I’ll end up with a 9mm soon enough after. Damn this way of life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom